HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:38 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
To add to this the last small retail bay in First will apparently be a dental office and the developer has told residents that they are targeting a dining option of some kind for the corner retail bay across from Simmons building. Nothing crazy exciting but all essentials for any neighbourhood. The Loblaws/Shopper's Drug Mart in the Riocan development will be game changing for the neighbourhood when it finally opens up!
Correct!

I also believe their is a 'Frilly Lily' going into Evolution. Not sure how much space all those tenants in Evolution will take up, but I suspect there will be quite a bit of space remaining for other yet-to-be-announced tenants.

I'm still surprised to see nothing has located within the 5 live-work units across from the Simmons.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 11:27 PM

There was an article in the Herald about the signature dome in the ATB building downtown being repainted. The article mentions that ATB is vacating the entire building and that the new tenants wanted to paint over the original mural. Anyone know who these new tenants might be?? That corner has always been dead day and night because it's 3 banks and none of them offer any sort of interaction with the street. While I'm sure the top 2 floors of the ATB building will be made into office space, I'm keeping my fingers crossed the main floor is turned into either retail or some sort of restaurant/bar concept. I wonder how soon ATB will be vacating the building?

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...l-arts/gartner

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:17 AM
power to the people!

AFAIK, the mural is not being painted over and the new tenant is another bank. National Bank I believe.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:48 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
There was an article in the Herald about the signature dome in the ATB building downtown being repainted. The article mentions that ATB is vacating the entire building and that the new tenants wanted to paint over the original mural. Anyone know who these new tenants might be?? That corner has always been dead day and night because it's 3 banks and none of them offer any sort of interaction with the street. While I'm sure the top 2 floors of the ATB building will be made into office space, I'm keeping my fingers crossed the main floor is turned into either retail or some sort of restaurant/bar concept. I wonder how soon ATB will be vacating the building?

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...l-arts/gartner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
AFAIK, the mural is not being painted over and the new tenant is another bank. National Bank I believe.
Goliath National Bank to be exact.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:26 PM

Well we now know whats taking a chunk of the former Target at Chinook: Saks Fifth Avenue plans Calgary store opening for January 2018. 115,000 square feet which is a good chunk of that space.

I've noticed at the former Target in Shawnessy that Lowes has its signage up, still a couple months from opening though. Westhills looked to be a bit further behind, but probably open by Fall I'd guess.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:07 PM

Lots of good choices for department stores in Chinook, we've come a long way from Zellers and Sears. What kind of stuff does Saks sell? I assume they will be more competition for Nordstroms than the Bay?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Lots of good choices for department stores in Chinook, we've come a long way from Zellers and Sears. What kind of stuff does Saks sell? I assume they will be more competition for Nordstroms than the Bay?
Saks is very high end. The would be more like Holt and the upper end product at Nordstrom

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Saks is very high end. The would be more like Holt and the upper end product at Nordstrom
Yeah, Saks is like Nordstroms without the stuff you can find at The Bay.

Saks is blue... Nordstroms is purple... The Bay is red...

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:57 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I've noticed at the former Target in Shawnessy that Lowes has its signage up, still a couple months from opening though.
I was there last night. They are still doing civil work outside of the store, but I agree with you and think it will come together pretty quickly. Should be open shortly.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
This is about bang on.

The Saks at Chinook will be quite high end, akin to a Holts, Harry Rosen or a Nordstrom Flagship which tend to steer towards higher end goods.

Definitely exciting news for Calgary, it's a big vote of confidence in the Calgary market and something that should solidify Chinook as the shopping destination in Calgary for years to come.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 6:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I've noticed at the former Target in Shawnessy that Lowes has its signage up, still a couple months from opening though. Westhills looked to be a bit further behind, but probably open by Fall I'd guess.
With Lowes purchase of Rona I would think the smaller Rona in Westhills will close eventually, leaving another sizable vacancy in this retail centre.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:38 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
With Lowes purchase of Rona I would think the smaller Rona in Westhills will close eventually, leaving another sizable vacancy in this retail centre.
I agree with that the smaller Rona should close, but I don't think that space will be vacant for long. Anytime a large space opened up at WestHills or Signal Hill Centre, its been leased within a few months. But given this market, who knows?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 1:50 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Made Foods coming to 4th Street and 19th Ave SW.

https://www.madefoods.com

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:08 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Kit and Ace moving into corner retail space at 7th Street and 16th Ave SW.

Restaurant (presumably?) called Fork and Salad moving into one of the retail spaces front 8th Street SW in Mount Royal Village.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 10:30 PM
power to the people!

Would anybody here know how Sporting Life is coming along at Southcentre? I haven't been down that way in a while and am anticipating it's opening.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:19 PM

Signage is going up last I went by so its got to be opening fairly soon. I remember hearing fall but no exact date.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 8:04 PM

Whole Foods pulled out of Northland Village Mall - work on Edmonton store has ground to a halt & I would be very surprised if they open a stand alone operation up there given the distribution challenges. I guess they will either be looking for a new Calgary location PDQ or pulling out of Alberta altogether...

http://www.660news.com/2016/09/02/wh...lgary-on-hold/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
Whole Foods pulled out of Northland Village Mall - work on Edmonton store has ground to a halt & I would be very surprised if they open a stand alone operation up there given the distribution challenges. I guess they will either be looking for a new Calgary location PDQ or pulling out of Alberta altogether...

Oh damn! I was looking forward to this!

Although I'm not sure how great of a location that was. I think it would do better somewhere in Kensington or Beltline. Here is hoping!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:47 PM

Whole Foods has done a remarkable job of getting people to drink their overpriced, eco-friendly, organic KoolAid. Calgary has too many expensive grocery stores (i.e. all grocery stores in Calgary) to have me mourning the loss of the most ridiculous of them all.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
Whole Foods pulled out of Northland Village Mall...

Not to nitpick since we all knew this was to happen at NorthLAND VILLAGE Mall but the 660news writer incorrectly states NorthHILLS Mall as the location (there isn't even a NorthHILLS mall here it is North HILL).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy