HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 8:45 PM
I am the law!

You're inferring gentrification is exclusive to lower classes. It also applies to suburbia moving into older "hobbit" communities because it's the thing to do over a change in lifestyle. Chain stores, etc. follow.

I have another guess. Gentrification concerns is being dismiss as NIMBYism

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:01 PM
Near Generational

So what happens with the retail spaces currently occupied by Sears?

Do the property owners bulldoze (in some instances) and build to suit or is it cheaper to try to take less rent to get a business in there and pay the basic utilities as it sits empty. The city can only support so many Spirit of Halloween outlets.

I'd have to think that someone might jump on the Southcenter location, but I can't think of who. There aren't really any retailers that aren't here that would need that much space. Maybe a second Simons location?

Some of the locations vacated by Target still don't have tenants.

Not a good couple years for the retail REITs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:35 AM
power to the people!

Southcentre could possibly become a Simons. North Hill will likely be demolished as I believe there was already talk about redeveloping the area. As to when? Who knows.

The Marlborough space will probably have to be reconfigured. Large mall anchors are obviously a dying breed.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Southcentre could possibly become a Simons. North Hill will likely be demolished as I believe there was already talk about redeveloping the area. As to when? Who knows.

The Marlborough space will probably have to be reconfigured. Large mall anchors are obviously a dying breed.
When Marlborough gets redeveloped it could really be spectacular. The land footprint is huge, with excellent transit and road connectivity, with a good amount of services already existing. It is also not very far from downtown. There is also that poorly used SE corner of Memorial and 36th directly south of Marlborough.

[EDIT]

Sorry - my comment was about the entirety of Marlborough Mall. I didn't mean only the Sears piece.

Last edited by suburbia; Oct 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:30 AM

Is the Marlborough location still open? I thought it closed a couple of years ago!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Is the Marlborough location still open? I thought it closed a couple of years ago!
Pretty sure it's closed. I think the only Sears department stores still open are at North Hill and South Center.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:42 PM

Even with the Sears there is a ton of wasted land at North Hill, sitting on a great location between two important roads, two LRT stations, a new 'BRT' line and next to SAIT, ACAD and a mall. Remove the Sears and there's a great opportunity to develop that area - I only hope they would tie in a road/LRT reconfiguration there to make it more efficient.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Even with the Sears there is a ton of wasted land at North Hill, sitting on a great location between two important roads, two LRT stations, a new 'BRT' line and next to SAIT, ACAD and a mall. Remove the Sears and there's a great opportunity to develop that area - I only hope they would tie in a road/LRT reconfiguration there to make it more efficient.
It sounds like Sears is dead so you might get your wish. Does Sears own their property at North Hill or is it the mall owner? The entire mall area should be redeveloped as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:59 PM

Deerfoot Outlet mall had a Sears outlet that closed ~4 years ago. It then became a Showroom Furniture Store.

The new Deerfoot City mall has revamped that space into a Cineplex Rec Room which is set to open Oct 13. The new mall looks very promising.

http://deerfootcity.com/events-promo...-room-now-open

Last edited by ggopher; Oct 13, 2017 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:54 AM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
It closed earlier this year.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:58 AM
power to the people!

I believe in 2014, Sears was to sell half their interest in the North Hill property to Concord Pacific. Not sure if the deal went through.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 6:29 AM

Saks Fifth Avenue Announces Calgary Opening Details [With Renderings]

Luxury retailer Saks Fifth Avenue, operating under the Hudson's Bay Company umbrella, has just announced the opening date of its Calgary store, as well as its new General Manager. Saks is looking to hire for over 120 positions for the new CF Chinook Centre location, which is scheduled to open on February 22, 2018. We’ve included seven renderings of the new store.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...0/saks-calgary

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 7:32 AM

I’m a little surprised that the Chinook SFA store will not have a food hall! There’s not a lot of grocery options in the neighbourhood. Would have cool if they could have added another floor to the store to accommodate it. A missed opportunity IMHO, given the money that is in the area!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:27 PM

So Chinook will have the Bay on the South end, Nordstrom on the North end and Saks in the middle. That's pretty impressive!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:25 PM

The new VIP Cineplex in Seton is set to open mid-December 2017. The wait for this has been excruciating. It was originally announced in 2012.

There is also a Cineplex Cinemas in East Hills under construction. The more the merrier!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:57 PM

From the nobody but myself gives a shit files...

Why hasn't an Under Armour Factory Store opened at CIM yet!?!

but from the relevant in 2005 files... A Polo Ralph Lauren Factory has opened there. lol

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:03 AM

Arc’teryx is opening a Calgary store in 2018

Quote:
“We will open a brand store on 17th Ave. S.W. in Calgary in the spring of 2018. We have high brand awareness and a lot of existing customers in Calgary and are really excited to open a store in that market for our community there,” says Cheesbrough.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...17/12/arcteryx

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
From the nobody but myself gives a shit files...

Why hasn't an Under Armour Factory Store opened at CIM yet!?!

but from the relevant in 2005 files... A Polo Ralph Lauren Factory has opened there. lol
From just having seen the UA outlet at Sawgrass Mills, you aren’t missing much.
We need an arcteryx/Solomon outlet, Patagonia outlet and north Face outlet. Also a Cole Haan outlet and a larger Nike outlet.
A Pottery Barn outlet would be nice too.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:23 PM
Near Generational

The carousel has been removed from the Chinook Mall food court.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-turns-no-more

Kinda disappointing they did this. I enjoyed taking my nieces on it when they came to town.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:04 AM

Did I hear correctly on tonight’s Global News at 6 that the removal of the carousel enables a $17 million renovation of the food court to proceed? $17 million?!?!? Is this number in line with other mall food court renovations completed recently?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy