HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Art in L.A.’s Union Station Has Been Hidden for Decades. Now It Prepares for an Oscar Debut
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ng-renovations

The now-gleaming train station will get its close-up this Sunday when the 93rd Academy Awards ceremony is broadcast live from throughout its historic halls.
On April 29, the restored spaces will open to the public, its big reveal.

Can't wait to go see it!
I took my photo group down there at the end of last month. Before we got run off by the rent-a-cops(telling us we couldn't photograph the building from the sidewalk on Alameda), I got this shot of the old ticketing area.

_3280066-Edit.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Thought I'd add one for the front of the station:
_3280137.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:47 AM

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.

*sigh*
I was just browsing the list of new construction projects in Hollywood, and I am rather disappointed in what passes for architectural style these days, or since the late 40's really. It all looks like everything else that's been built in the past 20 years or so. Cheap, bland, and ugly.
I really don't understand how people are apparently pleased with these eyesores. One looks like an unfinished wire frame. W.T.F.? S.M.H.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, in this day and age it's apparently acceptable to go out in your pajamas with uncombed hair and flip-flops, so I suppose I shouldn't expect more from any other aspect of our society.

*deep breath*
Moving on, it would seem that I'm not the only one who's had to have some shall we say "heated arguments" with obtuse security guards over photographing a building from a public sidewalk.
I really don't understand their version of reality where they think it's illegal to take a picture of the building they're paid to watch. But what do you expect from a glorified hall monitor?
Not to worry, from what I've seen with the recent advances in robotic security they'll soon be replaced by a parking meter on wheels.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I took my photo group down there at the end of last month. Before we got run off by the rent-a-cops(telling us we couldn't photograph the building from the sidewalk on Alameda), I got this shot of the old ticketing area.

_3280066-Edit.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr
The ticket concourse in the photo was once shared by the three railroads, Union Pacific, Santa Fe and Southern Pacific. They each had a section for sales. When they discontinued passenger service and Amtrak took over Union Station, all ticket windows were operated by Amtrak employees. Years later, the concourse was shut down and a new ticket (current) counter was built in the rear of the terminal, just inside the south patio.

The restroom areas near the old concourse once had a child care facility in the ladies lounge and a barber shop and shoe shine station in the mens lounge. Much of the old equipment and furniture is in storage under the station in repositories. There are also hundreds of old ceramic tiles, make-up counters for the Harvey Girls (who worked in the Harvey House) and file cabinets containing paperwork going back decades.

Old Posted Today, 2:57 AM

Here's a not-so-mystery location.

Original Slide, no date.

eBay no longer listed

Unless I'm mistaken (I'm not) this is the old Misses Janes School for Girls before it was moved several hundred feet away from Hollywood Blvd. to the back of the lot.

1907 Sanborn / before the move (pinkish dot)

Prospect is now Hollywood Blvd.

Previously seen HERE courtesy 3940dxer.

If you'd like to see a 1905 photograph of the house along Prospect Ave. go HERE.

The Misses Janes School is still standing and is currently the _____________. (I can't find the website) Did it close?

Today, the old Janes School is practically hidden from view in all directions.

That's Hollywood Blvd. at the bottom. / Google-Earth

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 3:49 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos