HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
My impressions from that 2013 get together was that it was a last-ditch attempt at convincing them to stay, not a celebration of how well things were going.
I stress that the above is my IMPRESSION only. I have no data to back it up. It just seemed that way to me.
I did hear that flights were leaving here empty but I wasn't sure what the truth was.

From the GMIA website “We were pleased to hear United’s positive message,” said André Pelletier, Chair of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority. “We were very happy to welcome United to our community for this update. I’m certain that our business and leisure travel communities are eager to continue using the service or will give it a try if they haven’t already done so.”

Maybe Mr. Pelletier and/or United were pumping sunshine up our you know what's.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 8:20 PM

See, to me that is code-talk for: "Use it or lose it, folks. You have been warned. The clock is ticking!"

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 12:51 PM

Eastern Provincial Airways Flight 102 Crash.....50 Years Ago

It was 50 years ago yesterday (Mar 17) that Eastern Provincial Airways Flight 102, flown by a Handley Page Dart Herald went down in Upper Musquodoboit NS just after taking off from Halifax enroute to Sydney and Newfoundland.

Yesterdays Halifax Herald an article on it.......Eight were killed (3 crew, 5 passengers)

The probable cause was structural failure from corroded skin.

I was 10 and remember it well. As a young airline enthusiast I had been writing to different PR Departments.....and only days before had received a large envelope from EPA. I just felt so sad.

I still have one of those postcards of a Dart Herald they had sent me along with a Timetable showing Flight 102.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:19 AM

CargoAirlines service to Liege from Moncton is slated to start again on April 19 and 26th, Flight ICL942 is showing up on the schedule now. Hopefully we will see their new bird nicknamed "the green giant" (registration : 4X-ICA).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:13 PM

Ugh CAL adjusted the schedule and now show the Boeing 747 service to start on May 3rd. April 19-26 are not showing anymore.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 1:53 PM

CanJet Airlines laying off most of its staff, cancels European routes

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canjet-airlin...utes-1.3031931

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 5:34 PM

Fredericton-Toronto WestJet flights began this morning.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 10:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, Air Canada will be adding another seasonal daily direct flight from Moncton to Montreal this summer, which should boost traffic numbers by 10,000 or so.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:24 AM

http://www.frederictonairport.ca/en/...s-next-winter/

Sunwing is back in Fredericton after a little break. I would like to see options other than Cube (better food in D.R), but I am glad the are back.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is not "new" news, but this CBC article contains some new information:

Moncton airport boasts banner year for passenger traffic
Bernard LeBlanc says Greater Moncton International Airport may welcome 1 million passengers annually by 2024
CBC News Posted: May 11, 2015 7:54 AM AT
Last Updated: May 11, 2015 7:54 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ffic-1.3067011

Another record-setting year for passenger traffic at the Greater Moncton International Airport has its chief executive officer predicting the facility will welcome one million travellers a year by 2024.

Bernard LeBlanc, the new chief executive officer of the Greater Moncton International Airport, says 677,000 passengers went through the facility last year.

"We have more passenger traffic at the greater Moncton airport than all the other New Brunswick airports combined," he says.

LeBlanc says the cold and long winter resulted in more charters to southern destinations. There were 15 charters a week this winter to Florida and the Caribbean.

LeBlanc says if passenger growth continues at the same pace, the airport could see one million passengers a year by 2024.

But it isn't only the passenger numbers that are taking off at the airport.

LeBlanc says cargo traffic was also up at 25,000 tonnes.

New federal fees

The increasing number of passengers and cargo shipments passing through the Moncton airport led the authority to turn a $2 million profit last year.

But that success means the federal government is looking at taking a bigger share of the profits.

"Because we've done so well, the rent calculation is based on revenue so if we generate more revenue we pay more rent." LeBlanc says.

LeBlanc says Moncton has had an exemption because it is one of a handful of Canadian airports that hasn't been required to pay rent until now.

Airports in Canada paid $290 million to the federal government in 2013, according to the Canadian Airports Council.

Next year, LeBlanc says Moncton will join that club.

"We'll pay about half a million dollars in 2016, so it really impacts us quite a bit and just in terms of numbers it's almost $1.50 for each passenger that leaves our airport," he says.

LeBlanc says he wouldn't mind paying the money if the federal government spent more on airports.

He says the Canadian government spends a lot less on airports than the U.S. government. LeBlanc says that makes it more expensive to fly in Canada.

Personal note - It's pretty hard extrapolating future passenger growth to 2024 based on the success the airport has had over the last 7-10 years, and I think it's kinda a stretch to assume that we will pass 1 million passengers by that time. There are lots of variables to consider, most notably accelerating future growth in the city itself. I get the impression however that city growth is beginning to sputter right now, and without a major kick in the pants (like the events centre), our best days might be behind us. If so, I could see us passing 700,000 passengers in the next couple of years and perhaps 800,000 passengers by 2020-22. My personal prediction is 850,000 passengers by 2024. Even with that, they will soon have to look at expanding the terminal. If I recall, the current building was constructed with a passenger volume of 700,000 in mind.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 9:40 PM

The updated numbers for YFC (Freddy) are here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...bers-1.3074190

No surprise..another record. Interesting to see what WestJet numbers will bring to the table for next year.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 10:45 PM

I have nothing to base this on other than my opinion but how much of this passenger growth is due to our youth heading west to work? I'm thinking that with the Alberta economy sputtering at the moment, will future numbers, at least in the short term lessen? If this is true, it's sad that the success of the airports is a result of the failure of local and regional economies.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:53 PM

A Tartan ‘737 in recognition of the new flight from New Scotland to Old Scotland beginning on May 29 th.

From the Skyliner-Aviation web page:

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/view...av2&picid=9262

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CHARLOTTETOWN AIRPORT SURPASSES THE 300,000 PASSENGER MARK IN 2014

Charlottetown Airport Authority held its annual general meeting today where they released the 2014 Annual Report to a group of stakeholders and the public. Charlottetown Airport had a record-breaking year with over 317,000 enplaned and deplaned passengers in 2014. In comparison to 2013, traffic was up by 7.3 percent, and it was the first time in the airport’s history that traffic numbers surpassed the 300,000 mark.

Looking ahead to the 2015 summer season Charlottetown Airport is anticipating a slight decrease in overall seat capacity compared to 2014. Newson noted, "Air Canada will make slight adjustments to the extra capacity that was added for the 2014 celebrations, but we are happy that WestJet is increasing their aircraft size for the summer season in PEI, which will help to offset this loss in capacity.”

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link to the annual report for the Greater Moncton International Airport:

http://www.cyqm.ca/site/media/gmia/G...14_ENG_WEB.pdf

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 12:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reported by q12 in the Stanfield Airport thread:

Quote:
WestJet launches service to Bonnie Scotland

WestJet today launches non-stop daily service between Halifax and Glasgow, Scotland

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:36 PM

Is the extended runway at Moncton International open yet? I don't remember when the projected completion date was.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Is the extended runway at Moncton International open yet? I don't remember when the projected completion date was.
Yes, it was completed about two years ago. If it weren't done, we wouldn't be having the 747 air freighters visiting the airport.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:03 PM

St. John's International main runway is closed for "renovations". But once completed, long gone will be the days of fog-cancelled flights

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...nths-1.3012027

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes, it was completed about two years ago. If it weren't done, we wouldn't be having the 747 air freighters visiting the airport.
Shows how much I know about the airport haha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces