HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:43 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Has there really been an upsurge in anti-Muslim sentiment and incidents? If so, I have not heard anything about this.
There was a mosque vandalized in - wait for it - Alberta.

Beyond that I've heard of nothing serious. Typical post-9/11 comments about turning the Middle East into glass parking lots of course, but that just means it's Thursday.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Just came to post that Hamilton video. Very impressed. The part that got my eyes dusty most was the people saying, "He's with me!" and the like.

Also, the response to the mosque vandalism incident was an equally beautiful story.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9X4Ra

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:57 PM

Re Social experiment

Just to be clear, the types that hang out at the corner of King and James don't need much of an excuse to start sucker punching people. I'd be stunned if it were anything other than boredom that provoked him. It was nice to see the more civilised types being reasonable, however.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:00 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
There was a mosque vandalized in - wait for it - Alberta.
More specifically in Cold Lake. That is the eponymous town outside CFB Cold Lake, where the fighters that are bombing ISIS units are based.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:09 PM

Thanks to media propaganda, Islam has become synonymous with terrorism even though the vast majority of Muslims live outside the Middle East.

What's taking so long for the RCMP to release the Bibeau video? It makes me suspicious that they're hiding something or tampering with evidence. It shouldn't take this long to release a video made by a homeless crack addict. That video is public property now.

Quote:
RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson says he hopes "someday" to make public a video left behind by gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau before last week's attack on the National War Memorial and Parliament Hill.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mich...opes-1.2814197

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:25 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
It's contrived and over-the-top. It's part of a wave of ad hoc social experiments that play to the prejudices of liberal humanists (such as me). And for all that...it warms my heart.

Video Link

How can you not love the fact that lunch-bucket lower-income Hammerites are vociferously standing up against prejudice? And look at the attitude and demeanor of the cop at the end of the video. I can't gush enough about how very sane he is about the whole thing.

Okay, should clarify: I'm not defending that sucker punch at all. That wasn't right, must be said.

Aside #1: English Canada seems to gets characterized as generic on this forum a lot, but this is unique and classic Hamilton right here. I'd describe it as an unrefined mixture of American-style gruffness with a Canadian sense of social justice.

Aside #2: The middle kid at the beginning of the video has a "southern Ontario immigrant accent" that you hear in 1st generation kids in Hamilton and Toronto.
That was actually great to see. Everyday Canadians saying "fuck the paranoia and fear-mongering, and fuck clothing-based prejudices."

*sniff* Makes me proud to be Canadian.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:29 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Just came to post that Hamilton video. Very impressed. The part that got my eyes dusty most was the people saying, "He's with me!" and the like.

Also, the response to the mosque vandalism incident was an equally beautiful story.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9X4Ra
While racism certainly still exists in Canada, it's refreshing to see more and more Canadians working against it.

It's also interesting in that Canada seems to be the only country I've heard about that has the least "issues" with its Muslim population. In places like America, Britain, Australia, France, and Germany, you hear about Muslims as though they're invasive aliens in a video game. In Canada, there's far more media that shows they're a part of this country and supporting this country, and that Canadians by and large are defending them and refusing to stoop to low levels of racism and easy discrimination.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
In places like America, Britain, Australia, France, and Germany, you hear about Muslims as though they're invasive aliens in a video game.
That's one of the best analogies I've read. In America, the southern border is treated like some sort of video game as well.

However I think racism does exist in Canada, nothing like in America but it's out there. Any news story about multiculturalism or immigration in smaller city newspapers such as the Kingston Whig-Standard brings out the anonymous white supremacists, some of whom believe Canada should allow only white people to immigrate to Canada, or that all immigrants and even Canadian-born children of immigrants should be all deported, or that they love how "white" the city is and don't want it to change.

Racism in Canada also manifests itself in subtle ways. For example, during the peak of the controversy over TFWs this past spring, CBC and other TV outlets were showing videos of visible minorities (mainly Asian) working at various Tim Hortons locations, without any indication as to whether they were TFWs, Canadian citizens of Asian descent, or Asian-born immigrants. It seemed as though these networks were trying to stir angry Canadians into believing their neighbourhood Tim Hortons were automatically employing TFWs just because there were visible minorities working there; some of the comments on the news stories did appear to show people assuming that the "Filipinos" working in their local Tim Hortons were automatically TFWs taking jobs from Canadians. Shockingly, I seemed to be the only person who noticed the racism present because there was no pushback from any minority groups, a far cry from the late 1970s when CTV got burned for doing something similar when they showed video of people who looked Chinese - who turned out to be Canadian-born - when talking about international students allegedly taking away university spaces from Canadians.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:48 PM

Newspaper online comment sections have a reputation for being filled with racist, sexist, staunchly conservative angry white male types. Not sure why this is the case, but this seems to hold true for most newspapers.

Those people are definitely not representative of the population as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Newspaper online comment sections have a reputation for being filled with racist, sexist, staunchly conservative angry white male types. Not sure why this is the case, but this seems to hold true for most newspapers.

Most of the time the commenter is anonymous so it's an opportunity for someone to vent their feelings that they would normally not express in the flesh. Imo, the comments sections are a pretty good way to gauge how people are really feeling about a particular issue.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Most of the time the commenter is anonymous so it's an opportunity for someone to vent their feelings that they would normally not express in the flesh. Imo, the comments sections are a pretty good way to gauge how people are really feeling about a particular issue.
Scary thought but I fear you are right.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
More specifically in Cold Lake. That is the eponymous town outside CFB Cold Lake, where the fighters that are bombing ISIS units are based.
Yup, and there was a huge turnout of people to help clean up the mess, even a few military personnel showed up to show support for the mosque! Made me very proud of the way Canadians are handling this whole thing.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/cold-lake-...sque-1.2069658

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I disagree, I think it's an empty can rattles the most type scenario. Comments sections are representative of a small, loudmouth minority, not the overall population. Especially with Sun media, holy crap those people are DUMB!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:

True, but go to CBC, Macleans or Torstar and you get the angry Harper/Conservatives hating lefties who populate the comment sections there.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I disagree, I think it's an empty can rattles the most type scenario. Comments sections are representative of a small, loudmouth minority, not the overall population. Especially with Sun media, holy crap those people are DUMB!
Sun media in general is just plain dumb. Among the worst journalism I've ever seen. Sensationalizing, factually inaccurate, biased, doesn't look at the whole picture type reporting. All media does this to an extent but Sun is the worst.

They really do appeal to the braindead. Even their use of the English language is quite dumbed down--I think the literacy grade level they write to is about 3 or 4 grades below every other news agency. The standard for newspapers is 7th-grade level, right? Sun probably does 4th.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Sun media in general is just plain dumb. Among the worst journalism I've ever seen. Sensationalizing, factually inaccurate, biased, doesn't look at the whole picture type reporting. All media does this to an extent but Sun is the worst.

They really do appeal to the braindead. Even their use of the English language is quite dumbed down--I think the literacy grade level they write to is about 3 or 4 grades below every other news agency. The standard for newspapers is 7th-grade level, right? Sun probably does 4th.
I think Fox has a stake in Sun media don't they?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:54 PM

No Fox involvement that I can see.

http://www.sunmedia.ca/SunMedia/

Sun Media Corporation, a subsidiary of Quebecor Media Inc., is Canada's largest newspaper publisher, based on the circulation of paid and free newspapers, publishing over 15.1 million copies each week. Sun Media Corporation includes the activities of Osprey Media and Canoe.ca, an integrated enterprise offering e-commerce, information and communication services that operates a network of Internet portals that attracts over 10.5 million unique visitors per month in Canada, including 5.7 million in Québec.

Quebecor Media Inc. is a subsidiary of Quebecor Inc. (TSX:QBR.A) (TSX:QBR.B), With more than 16,000 employees, Quebecor Media Inc., through its subsidiary Videotron Ltd., is an integrated communications company engaged in cable television, interactive multimedia development, Internet access services, cable telephone services and mobile telephone services. Through Sun Media Corporation, Quebecor Media Inc. is the largest publisher of newspapers in Canada. It also operates Canoe.ca and its network of English and French language Internet properties in Canada. In the broadcasting sector, Quebecor Media Inc. operates, through TVA Group Inc., the number one French language general interest television network in Québec, a number of specialty channels and the SUN News English language channel. Quebecor Media Inc. is also active in magazine publishing (TVA Publishing Inc.), book publishing and distribution (Sogides Group Inc. and CEC Publishing Inc.), the production, distribution and retailing of cultural products (Archambault Group Inc. and TVA Films), video game development (BlooBuzz Studios Inc.), DVD, Blu-ray disc and videogame rental and retailing (Le SuperClub Vidéotron Ltd), the printing and distribution of regional newspapers and flyers (Quebecor Media Printing Inc. and Quebecor Media Network Inc.), news content production and distribution (QMI Agency), multiplatform advertising solutions (QMI Sales) and the publishing of printed and online directories, through Quebecor MediaPagesTM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:05 PM

Maybe they don't then, thanks for looking that up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:51 PM

I think I heard in the news that PKP would be spinning off Sun Media eventually...

Maybe Fox is interested?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:01 PM
Home of Hyperchange

The people who comment on newspaper websites are only one step removed from Youtube commenters. They're basically the angriest, loneliest, stupidest segment of society. That's WHY they post to these stories.

How this could possibly be "news" to someone here, or indicative of any sort of "this is how people really feel" sentiment... did I wake up in a parallel universe where I'm the only person who's been online these past 20 years? My god, next someone will claim that all of the "you're a fag!" insults on Xbox Live are just demonstrating how homophobic Canada is.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Sun has a policy of filling the first several paragraphs of any given story with nonsense. Like this great article that doesn't start until the 10th paragraph or so:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/25...-transit-stick

I mean, without reading the title, the idea that this might be about transit funding doesn't come up at all in the first half-dozen paragraphs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada