HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
And the radio landscape gets even shitter in London and environs, with the conversion of 103.9 from Rock to New Country.

Is there anything lower than New/Modern Country? I'd say it is the bottom of the barrel, except that would insult the barrel.

I'm with Tom Petty on this. http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/to...-with-a-fiddle
How many country stations does Southwestern Ontario need? Then again, it is a successful format...BX93 does very well in the ratings.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:47 AM

Quote:
And the radio landscape gets even shitter in London and environs, with the conversion of 103.9 from Rock to New Country.

Is there anything lower than New/Modern Country? I'd say it is the bottom of the barrel, except that would insult the barrel.
On the topic of barrels, I'll paraphrase the late Roger Ebert: "This doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This isn't the bottom of the barrel. This isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels."

That's how I'd sum up my opinion of "new country".

What's alarming is that a lot of younger crowd (17 - 25) love this new country stuff. I know folks who are that age and they think it's just great. I just stare in disbelief. The thing is, this isn't a generational thing of someone older like myself railing against the younger generation: this product is simply really terrible in terms of quality of content. It is the Walmart of music. Yes there has always been bad pop music, but I can never recall folks of that age bracket embracing it so: in the past that age bracket would utterly reject it. Now they are conditioned to embrace it. I recall recently driving some of them home and I had Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" playing. They absolutely couldn't understand what was going on. I tried to explain the concept of scat-style improvised instrumental composition, and the incredible challenge of doing so and still being able to meander in and out of the established time signature and key and then ultimately return to it, AND do it all in one take. They looked at me as if I were speaking Martian.

It represents that constant lowering of expectations being imposed on the public (and all too frequently embraced by the younger ones) by the powers that be. After all, why bother watching a spectacular film on a hi-def plasma TV with surround sound when you watch the same thing on your cell phone....

And that's why radio stations are embracing it. Just following the money.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I couldn't have said it any better. Word.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:37 AM

Snark, thanks for the great laugh.

I consider myself to be a country music fan...kinda. Country music is sometimes a really great genre in my opinion, and "pop country" produced some occasionaly very enjoyable music at one point. The stuff they play on the radio of late is neither country nor music. They referenced Florida Georgia Line on that article you linked to MolsonExport...that group is pretty much the definition of mediocre, and if you've heard either of their songs (I'm pretty sure they're a two-hit wonder now), it's baffling to understand that they are somehow technically a more popular "country" act than Hank Williams or George Jones ever was.

I'm not sure why any radio market would need more than one station playing Jason Aldeen sort-of-rapping about getting drunk in his truck along with whatever new girl they think sounds like Taylor Swift. Too bad about the Hawk.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:39 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:

I'm with Tom Petty on this. http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/to...-with-a-fiddle
Dear God, at least I'm not the only one to lament the demise of MoreFM. And it was all so sudden; I left for Collingwood on Friday afternoon (the 28th), after switching it off, and came back on the Monday only to think my radio was broken. I hadn't heard any warning or indication of what was going to be happening. Were Dunner and Matt really that dull?

I agree with Snark (thanks for the hearty laugh, by the way). The only really good country music comes from Johnny Cash and Tom Perry (but isn't that just Rock with country influence?), not Lady Antebellum etc. etc.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 2:34 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Same happened to me. Switched on the radio while driving in London on Sunday (march 1st?). Quickly hit the channel button to squelch the garbage shits-96 station my wife listens to. 103.9 (half expecting the annoying "more, more more..." soundbite). Imagine my surprise when instead, "New Country" music fills the car. Wretched, stinky poo-poo bad New Country Music. Talentless, Tuneless, utterly without a shred of value. Beyond horrible. I'm thinking: WTF???? Must be some computer mistake. Anyhow, later that night, hit the 103.9 dial and more of that "New Country" Dreck. I'm thinking: oh fer fux sakes. So I get home and google, and learn of the awful truth.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 10:09 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
103.9 (half expecting the annoying "more, more more..." soundbite).
For some reason that reminded me of the singing "modern" 1980s appliances from The Brave Little Toaster. Either way, not a computer error, even my trusty analog transistor radio was picking up the new foul waves. There are now at least FOUR country radio stations within range of Woodstock. God damn.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 3:30 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Bad stock of stations around Woodstock. Backwoodstock?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:53 PM

103.9 operates out of what almost looks like a bungalow. I'm actually surprised the signal makes it all the way to London.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
103.9 operates out of what almost looks like a bungalow. I'm actually surprised the signal makes it all the way to London.
They've got a really powerful signal. I've gotten it as far west as Strathroy, and I've gotten it in K-W.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
They've got a really powerful signal. I've gotten it as far west as Strathroy, and I've gotten it in K-W.
You can routinely count on it in central KW.

Aren't they located right on Dundas downtown Woodstock? Dundas and Van Ave? I may be thinking of someone else...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:27 PM
User Registered

Dirty Dozen – Gas Prices in London Climb 12 Cents a Litre, Day After 12 Cent Drop

http://www.am980.ca/2014/07/16/londo...wn-must-go-up/

Was $1.34 on my way to work.
Was $1.30 when I finished, so I got some. Then ran some errands.
Was $1.26 at the same gas station when I drove by again
Was $1.22 at my local station when I got home.

Now it's $1.34 again, so I guess I got a deal, which is nice

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Expensive gasoline and country music. Two shits with one stone.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:22 AM

In Vancouver, the current rate is $1.53/litre................we can only dream about prices that cheap!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Friday Knight Lights (Tim Best's worst bar) Slapped With Nine-Day Liquor Licence Suspension

Quote:
A ruling released by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario on Monday states that as a result of documented infractions, the downtown bar will have its licence pulled for nine days, beginning at 11 a.m. on July 14th and ending at 2 a.m. July 23rd.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

http://www.fridayknightlights.com/index.asp

Quote:
•Award winning Friday Knight Lager $10 large pitchers and $3.50 Pints
Award winning? You have got to be kidding me, Tim.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
http://www.fridayknightlights.com/index.asp

Award winning? You have got to be kidding me, Tim.
I visited the link, and the first thing I noted was that the chicken wings are "award winning," too!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 9:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I suppose there is no law against labelling something as "Award winning" but it is bullshit extraordinaire and misleading. Such is the way of Tim Worst.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:59 PM

If it's misleading, the Competition Bureau would take issue with it.

You’d probably be the first person to try it with beer and wings, though.

I’m continually surprised that Tim Worst-DeCicco is still up here. I had honestly expected that he’d have gone back to Nebraska (I think) after the 2010 election. After all, our liquor licensing and drinking-and-driving laws are just plain inconvenient.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:06 AM
Sanity merchant

Anyone watch the news tonight? Who's the blue shirted councilor that was being an ass when talking about the Fanshawe / Kingsmill stuff?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation