HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:29 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 on China's Silk Road - Turpan

Turpan is a desert oasis some 200 feet below sea level, making it one of the lowest places on Earth. Despite the hot and dry weather, the locals have devised an ingenious way to direct mountain runoff for their daily activities. As a result, the basin is fertile with vibrant melon and grape-growing industries. Grapes are dried in these naturally-ventilated buildings into raisins.

There wasn't a big commercialization presence on the streets, but there were definitely places to buy raisins around town.

Jiaohe is estimated to be 2300 years old, sitting on an island plateau 30m above the river. It was once the capital of a small, ancient kingdom, and was first mentioned in Chinese text in the 2nd century BC due to war with Han Dynasty China. It eventually fell to the Chinese in the 5th century. Subsequently during the Tang Dynasty, Jiaohe prospered into a government, trading, and military post.

Foundations of dense layers of mud kept the buildings secure. Walls were also made of packed mud.

Jiaohe's fortunes turned during the Yuan Dynasty and the site was abandoned in the latter part of the 14th century. Natural erosion has changed the buildings into the ruins we see today.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:33 PM

Fascinating place! Pictures from western China always look very exotic to me. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 12:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

very cool to see this — i wondered about it after visiting uzbekistan.

it seems to be a lot rockier than central asia around there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos