HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 11:46 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
During my lunch break on Saturday (I work at Dillard's), I noticed that everything inside the place was stripped off and removed.
Is it easy to make your SPH at Atlantic Station's 'lards?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 12:59 AM

but Market, we expect a fair return on our investment. We are a donor region in atlanta. we pay more gas tax dollars out to the rest of the state than we get for ourselves. GDOT has progressed but let's be honest - atlanta has had to drag them into 21st century 'transportation' and the gas tax can still only be spend on roads and bridges. doesn't seem right to me

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 1:12 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Is it easy to make your SPH at Atlantic Station's 'lards?
Hell no. The SPH's are ridiculously overinflated and management is extremely incompetent. In addition, the AS Dillard's is the most underperforming store in the Atlanta area. I mean, the store only made about $150,000 TOTALon Black Friday, which really sucks.

I plan on quitting within the next two months. That place is a hellhole to work in.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 2:33 AM
Trendy.

lol.

My mom's the general manager of a store in Nashville and she wishes the whole chain would spontaneously combust. She hates it with the passion of one million firey suns.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 5:15 AM
Reliable Source

It's going to be tough to fill that big box.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubieTurtle View Post
Care to reword that? The word "large" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. I'm thinking a word like "tiny" or "pathetic" would be better.

I'll keep your words in mind when I'm driving my home down the road or when I'm driving a gallon of milk to the Braves game because property and sales taxes are what fund Georgia roads, not our practically non-existant fuel tax. If it wasn't for the federal gas tax and USDOT, drivers in Georgia would pay almost none of the cost. Of course politicans in Georgia will tell you that the feds are ripping us off, taking Georgia money to build roads in the rest of the country.

Ooops... darn, it's annoying when people look things up for themselves instead of blindly listening to politicans telling them what they want to hear. The politicans are playing a cute game... they take that green bar at the end, the one that shows the national average return, compare it to Georgia's return, and say "Hey, we're getting ripped off" when the truth is that the feds are paying out more money to everyone than they are taking in from fuel taxes. Where does this money come from? Income taxes on everyone (and more and more, borrowing money from other countries), regardless of how much they drive. At least the feds do keep the payout for roads close to the income they take in, unlike Georgia, which makes road users pay almost none of the cost.
Looks can be deceiving, so I would invite a closer look at your first graphic. Georgia's 7.5 cents per gallon Motor Fuel Tax is indeed the third-lowest in the US, behind only Alaska and Wyoming. But Georgia collects another 13.8 cents per gallon at the pump in the form of "other" State and local taxes, so we actually pay 21.3 cents per gallon in Georgia for the use of our roads -- only the 25th-lowest among the states. And a large part of the untold story is that Georgia's "other" gasoline taxes are Percentage taxes (unlike the cents per gallon Fuel tax), so the revenues from those sources have risen sharply with the rise of gasoline prices.

By comparison with our 21.3 cents per gallon levy, gas purchasers pay 20.3 cents in AL, 21.8 cents in AR, 31.9 cents in FL, 18.5 cents in KY, 20.0 cents in LA, 18.8 cents in MI, 30.2 cents in NC, 16.8 cents SC, 21.4 cents in TN, and 19.2 cents in VA. (Source: American Petroleum Institute; Notes to State Motor Fuel Excise and Other Tax Rates; 10/10/2006) So Georgia's road-use taxes aren't as "tiny" or "pathetic" as you might have believed. And this begs the question: How can North Carolina collect 150% of Georgia's fuel tax rates and still have such relatively crappy roads? I would say we're getting a lot of bang for the buck.

It is also worth noting that your graph measures highway funding sources Per Capita -- not per vehicle. There is apparently no shortage of funds, since the level of Georgia's highway funding is equal to the average for all states, as measured by Gross State Product. So I would have to conclude that the bulk of Georgia's highway funding comes from the road users who are paying the 21.3 cents per gallon levy -- and not from those Georgians who drive very little or not at all.

The issue of ripping off the Federal government is another matter altogether, and one on which I agree with you. Uncle Sugar's 18.4 cents per gallon levy goes straight into the Highway Trust Fund for specific disbursement, but that take falls far short of the largesse he shells out to buy votes for Congress. While Georgia might get a smaller return of the stolen goods than some other states, we are still bandits at the public trough.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimAtl View Post
but Market, we expect a fair return on our investment. We are a donor region in atlanta. we pay more gas tax dollars out to the rest of the state than we get for ourselves. GDOT has progressed but let's be honest - atlanta has had to drag them into 21st century 'transportation' and the gas tax can still only be spend on roads and bridges. doesn't seem right to me
Regional taxation is a tough and complicated issue, and nobody seems to know how to make it work. I suspect every visitor from rural Georgia thinks the same thing when he sees the Downtown Connector, the Perimeter or Spaghetti Junction. I think we'll see more of a shift in funding as "Atlanta" continues to grow in population and political clout.

I'm not so sure about the 21st Century issue, though, since most of GDOT's planners probably live and work among us here in Atlanta. Things are getting better, and for all of us.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:13 AM

As a laissez faire capitalist, I never thought I would say this, but raise my taxes (gas use taxes) to pay for a higher quanity and quality of projects such as 5th street/17th street projects. We might need to a create separate funding mechanism for the Atl metro, that keeps all funds generated in ATL region, in the metro and visa versa.

I know it is a little off subject from Atlantic Station, but since it leads back to the same issue, I think that interstate commuting should become more of a fee based system (I know it is somewhat now, but that is gas usage not miles driven, which produce very different results), preferably by adding express tolls in addition to what is already there.

For Example: Instead of expanding 575 traditionally, allow Goldman Sacks (or bond issue, for non-libertarians such as Markets ) to double the capacity by building toll lanes in the center of the road. This will relieve traffic on the existing lanes, and charge only those who dont have the patience to wait. Going this method, would free up that billion that would have been spend expanding the highway to be used for fixing the feeder road problem in the metro, and adding alternative transit lines where feasible.

Last edited by austin356; Dec 20, 2006 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
As a laissez faire capitalist, I never thought I would say this, but raise my taxes (gas use taxes) to pay for a higher quanity and quality of projects such as 5th street/17th street projects. We might need to a create separate funding mechanism for the Atl metro, that keeps all funds generated in ATL region, in the metro and visa versa.
Just as Georgia law allows counties to levy their own local-option sales taxes, I believe local jurisdictions may also levy local-option taxes on vehicle sales and licenses -- and many do so to fund transportation projects. But counties do not have the authority to levy local-option fuel taxes. If such a measure could pass the legislature, it might be what you're looking for.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
Hell no. The SPH's are ridiculously overinflated and management is extremely incompetent. In addition, the AS Dillard's is the most underperforming store in the Atlanta area. I mean, the store only made about $150,000 TOTALon Black Friday, which really sucks.

I plan on quitting within the next two months. That place is a hellhole to work in.

Is this true for the other retailers at AS, or just dillards?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 2:01 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Dillard's has always been so empty. I hope it's just them. I'd hate to see AS lose retail.

Last edited by dante2308; Dec 21, 2006 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 2:45 AM
Trendy.

Probably just Dillard's. No one wants fashion trends from 1992!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:26 PM

I still have no idea why the AS planners chose Dillard's as their flagship retail store. Something more trendy and upscale would had made more sense.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:39 PM

^It was all they could get.They tried Bloomies and even Jacobson's(a defunct Midwestern retailer). They may now replace Dillard's with a Lord & Taylor who are now looking to regain their footing under new ownership.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:58 PM

Quote:
That is so TRUE!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
big department stores are a trend thats been dieing out since at least 1992!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 11:34 PM

Has anyone tried Dolce? How was it?

I tried going for lunch, but was told they tried doing lunch but couldn't get enough people in. They did say dinner was going very well. Instead I went to Rosa for lunch, so ones loss is anothers gain as Rosa was very packed for lunch with a 20 minute wait.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNofAtlanta View Post
Has anyone tried Dolce? How was it?

I tried going for lunch, but was told they tried doing lunch but couldn't get enough people in. They did say dinner was going very well. Instead I went to Rosa for lunch, so ones loss is anothers gain as Rosa was very packed for lunch with a 20 minute wait.
I had dinner at Dolce last weekend. It was alright but not somewhere that I am going to frequent on a regular basis. Dinner for two ran us about $100 (glass of wine, appetizer, two entrees, and a desert). Service was good but the restaurant was very loud. I didn't care for the guys at the door....they were more like club bouncers....real jerks. Anyway, overall it was "alright."

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 6:49 PM

Atlantic

Got an automated newsletter / email from Atlantic sales office. One section was a construction update which said "We are excited to announce that we expect to break ground and begin construction on The Atlantic early next year."

So much for a Fall or Winter 2006 ground breaking.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utguy9999 View Post
So much for a Fall or Winter 2006 ground breaking.
Winter 2006 includes all of what -- 11 days? Winter lasts through March 20. A few months is just a blip on the calendar, except to a bunch of spoiled skyscraper junkies like us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta