HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Metropolis will have a larger effect on downtown in the long run as it connects the Financial District to LA Live. Not to mention the huge radius effect it will have when it comes to the pile of crap that sits between LA Live and Olympic (Salvation Army and friends).
Could not agree with you more. Bulldoze all that crap, re-do the 8th Street 110 exit, and what an incredible little sector this would be.

Old Posted Today, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Metropolis will have a larger effect on downtown in the long run as it connects the Financial District to LA Live. Not to mention the huge radius effect it will have when it comes to the pile of crap that sits between LA Live and Olympic (Salvation Army and friends).
Removing the social implications from the discussion, determining who owns the various parcels in question is probably the more pressing issue in terms of the ease and speed at which the area can be redeveloped.

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Removing the social implications from the discussion, determining who owns the various parcels in question is probably the more pressing issue in terms of the ease and speed at which the area can be redeveloped.
From looking up a few parcel details via Lexis, looks like some are owned by LA Arena Landco (which shares its address with AEG), some by DWP, some by the Salvation Army, some by various family trusts.

Old Posted Today, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Kelbeen, the project rising in the foreground of your photo below is the Saris-Regis project - 7 stories. Ava Little Tokyo Phase 2 is visible in the background on the left with the vomit-worthy neon green and blue glass balconies. Seriously, whoever thought that was a "whimsical" color palette shouldn't even be legally allowed to dress themselves.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old Posted Today, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
The Central Area Planning Commission has rejected United HERE Local 11's appeals against the Chetrit Group's two hotel projects. The Clark is now scheduled to open in four months, followed by the Embassy Hotel in eight months. As always with the Chetrit Group, the proof will be in the pudding.
That's huge, if it actually happens. It will be a huge boon for Hill st, which is such a dead zone above 5th.

Also, SimonLA's link to that expedited permitting process is good news as well.

Old Posted Today, 7:08 AM
Doctor Burncream

Where do you guys think DTLA will be for the 2020 census? Right now we are apparently pushing 55k residents, so with all these projects rising with more to come in the next 6 years do you think we will be around 70-80k? If we're lucky in the low 90's but i doubt we could reach 100k so sudden unless we have a boom on the scale of Dubai.

All of my Los Angeles updates can be found on my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram

Old Posted Today, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Where do you guys think DTLA will be for the 2020 census? Right now we are apparently pushing 55k residents, so with all these projects rising with more to come in the next 6 years do you think we will be around 70-80k? If we're lucky in the low 90's but i doubt we could reach 100k so sudden unless we have a boom on the scale of Dubai.
Remember that the census is notorious for undercounting homeless people and undocumented immigrants. That can significantly affect census numbers in central LA.

Old Posted Today, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius Josephus View Post
Remember that the census is notorious for undercounting homeless people and undocumented immigrants. That can significantly affect census numbers in central LA.
And also young people who have moved from elsewhere and may have neglected to change their address.

Old Posted Today, 4:55 PM

Quote:
From looking up a few parcel details via Lexis, looks like some are owned by LA Arena Landco (which shares its address with AEG), some by DWP, some by the Salvation Army, some by various family trusts.
I wish all those various owners would hurry up & get their act together. Either sell out or at least tear down all the junk currently in that area.

this is what a guest at the new marriott courtyard sees when stepping out the front door & looking north. It's definitely not ready for prime time....

maps.google.com

I was reading an article a few wks ago about the renovation of one of the major terminals at LAX & how huge numbers of travelers slam the airport & say it leaves visitors with a bad first....or last....impression of LA. the same thing applies to parts of dtla that, again, aren't ready for prime time.

Old Posted Today, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Well, you can get a better sense of the homeless by the yearly homeless counts that they do. I can't imagine it varying by more than a few thousand either way (sad, but true). A lot of the downtown zip codes overlap with less gentrified areas (like Westlake or down past the 10, or through skid row), so undocumented immigrants could factor in. I think what Mojeda really wants though is a projected number of housing units in the downtown as we generally think of it geographically.

Old Posted Today, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

I was reading an article a few wks ago about the renovation of one of the major terminals at LAX & how huge numbers of travelers slam the airport & say it leaves visitors with a bad first....or last....impression of LA. the same thing applies to parts of dtla that, again, aren't ready for prime time.
Having been through the new Tom Bradley terminal at LAX a few times (including yesterday, after spending a week in awesome Taipei, Taiwan), I'll say this - it's a beautiful place to leave from, a pretty bad place to return to. The line to get out through customs (not passport control, but customs) has been epic every time. As in hundreds of people waiting to get out, and it feels like any other airport. It makes no dramatic impact or architectural statement. But the departures area is beautiful and will make a good lasting impression when people are leaving.

Old Posted Today, 8:58 PM
Young Yuppie

We went to Grand Park yesterday for the grand opening of the Children's play space. It was packed with kids and parents! Everyone seemed to have a great time, enjoying the perfect weather, the park, the DJ and tons of games (soccer, etc) for the kids. At the5879115_z.jpg[/img][/url]DTLA by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr

DTLA by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr

At the top of the park (Grand Ave) there was a couple getting married with a mariachi band near the water features (not pictured). Great setting.

I know grocery stores are a periodic topic of conversation here. The renovated Ralph's is still not an upper echelon grocery store, but it looks way better. The new bar inside is dope

Da bar in Ralph's by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr

Random smaller retail space being renovated at 7th and Broadway
DTLA by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr

Old Posted Today, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I know grocery stores are a periodic topic of conversation here. The renovated Ralph's is still not an upper echelon grocery store, but it looks way better. The new bar inside is dope

Da bar in Ralph's by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr
Huh? You can now get drunk at a Ralph's?

Old Posted Today, 9:50 PM
Young Yuppie

I think so. I think you can take your beer, walk around and drink it while you shop, as long as you stay inside the building. Haven't tried it yet though

Edit: just walked by and you can't take drinks outside the bar area. Still, people were there drinking. I think it's called "Elevate" bar

Last edited by Eightball; Today at 10:23 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations