HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:40 PM

Lose the G and an S, and you get T E R I S... (there's a reason that second tier on the sign is as long as it is)...

LAT Oct 12, 1925

Perhaps it has something to do with a double murder, which may account for changes in ownership in 1927 ans '29 and then the name change:

LAT Aug 10, 1926 (partial article)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
If you checked out the other pictures in the set, they show a couple of gas stations in the area in 1929. It looks like there was a Shell station almost opposite the corner store, although this picture only catches the edge.

USC Digital Library

Just south of W 49th Place there was also a Hercules Gasoline station.

USC Digital Library

Here's a closer view. Both Shell and Hercules offered to grease any car for 75 cents!

Detail of picture above.
Ha! Glad you pointed out the Shell station! That is exactly the corner of the block I lived on (49th Street)! It was a Shell station even when I grew up (1950's) and I remember walking there with a gallon gas can to buy gas for our lawnmower! In the mid 60's it was changed to a Texaco station, IIRC, and right next door Chevron opened a station as well. My dad was good friends with the Shell station manager, a fellow named Kermit. My dad used to borrow some of his tools to fix our '54 Chevy, and our '59 Impala!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 7:46 PM

City Of Sirens

Hiding in plain sight around Los Angeles are over two hundred rusty looking air raid sirens. Just for fun, I looked up the one in my neighborhood at 1st and Larchmont and it said the power was still connected as of 2006. Does anybody know if these things are still operational?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:30 PM

Outstanding post on the old Hotel Teris HossC! I don't remember seeing the interior before. -good find.

Hotel Teris lobby posted by HossC.

USC digital archives

The Hotel Teris lobby today

http://shm.fmdatabase.com/FMSearch/d...I7czoxOiI1Ijt9

In that last photo, I love the vintage lighting fixture still intact above the old front desk.

-a vertiginous view of the old hotel stairwell

http://www.skylinelocations.com/fmse...oyOiIzOSI7fQ==
__

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Lose the G and an S, and you get T E R I S... (there's a reason that second tier on the sign is as long as it is)...

LAT Oct 12, 1925
I had no idea the Hotel St. Regis and the Hotel Teris were one and the same GW!

I also didn't notice that doorbell on the rabbit business.
If they wanted to discourage children, why did they shape the building like a giant rabbit? lol

While checking out the St. Regis/Teris/Weingart building I noticed one of those vintages houses hidden behind store front additions.
-that's the old Hotel St. Regis-Hotel Teris on the right

GSV

aerial

google_earth

view from Witmer Street/the old Hotel Teris is on the right.

GSV

Witmer view/blocked on all sides but one

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Almost in the center of the recent "Cityscape" photo is the Hotel Teris (I probably remembered it because I kept reading it as Hotel Tetris!). The Hotel Louise/Cortez is just off the right of this picture.
LOL! I also read Hotel Tetris at first when seeing the photo/postcard on this building.

And man, according to the Good Samaritan Hospital's website on this building, "Each guest room is equipped with color television and phone service."

http://goodsam.org/support/weingart.php

WOW! Not only television, but, C O L O R television! Maybe they even have that fancy touch-tone telephone service too!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:35 PM

-so where does this sign place these two young men?

ebay

-up on Mulholland Drive near the ocean?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:47 PM

I'd guess more or less at the foot of Sunset Blvd...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:53 PM

Here's another interesting sign, circa 1927 (notice the arrow on top) -I've been trying to locate the building on the right.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/P...ialbrowse=null

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:58 PM

Elysian Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
At first I wasn't sure of the location until a close-up revealed the word Elysian. (between the horses heads)

for reference: -here's the location of the monument.

google_earth

-The monument in all it's glory, when there was even an eagle on top!

Huntington Hartford Archive

I'm curious to know what happened to the base between the 1901 photographs and today. Where's the stone segment with the word Elysian carved into it? The base is much smaller than the base shown in the earlier photographs. I'm hoping someone can find a photograph from 1930s or 40s or 50s or 60s or....
Quote:
Now that's interesting, I thought the lettering was long gone.
Do you have a scanner? (hint hint.)
__
Scanned!

My Flickr

My Flickr

My Flickr

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 10:12 PM

-thanks Sonny_LA! It appears the bottom of the base is now buried.

Ralphs 1947, an extremely noirish view.

ebay/oct.2013
__

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
-so where does this sign place these two young men?

ebay

-up on Mulholland Drive near the ocean?
I'm going to put it a bit west of GaylordWilshire's guess and say the foot of Topanga Canyon Blvd. at PCH. The mileage lines up a little better to there.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:26 PM

Boyle Heights Sears Update

The Sears building was recently sold for $29 million: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2lQ3j11Xd

Also, does anyone need 10 acres on the westside?: http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#axzz2lQ3j11Xd

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality] -thanks Sonny_LA! It appears the bottom of the base is now buried.

Not sure - the whole spot seems to have been reconfigured. The monument now seems to be placed where the lower stairs are in the original photo. The upper wall, at left, seems to be the same. The existing structure might even be a copy - the rough-hewn stone of the main pedestal is so different from the super-smooth sides of the original.

Looking at old maps, Buena Vista St and its bridge across the river were changed quite a bit by the time it was called Broadway.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the up-to-date photos of the Hotel Teris' interior, e_r. It's still got some great old decor (if you ignore the anachronisms of the vending machines and TV screen by the elevators). It's a shame the stairwell picture isn't available at a higher resolution.

------------------

GW, thanks for the info about the Hotel Teris being the St. Regis - I wondered why there wasn't a listing for the Teris in the City Directories before 1932 when it was built in 1925. I only found one entry for the St Regis in the 1926 CD:

By 1927 there were a couple of residents listed:

And by 1929 the list had nearly doubled:

All from rescarta.lapl.org

They could've kept all the letters from St. Regis and called it the Hotel Tigress (and got their furniture from the same place as the Zebra Room at the Town House).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Here's another interesting sign, circa 1927 (notice the arrow on top) -I've been trying to locate the building on the right.

I've wondered about the location of this photo, too, since first seeing it a couple years ago. Judging by the list of towns on the sign, the "new boulevard" would almost have to be Arrow Highway, which is Live Oak Ave. in El Monte. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with El Monte to be able to hazard a guess about the church, and looking around on Google Maps, I couldn't find anything in the vicinity of the intersection of Live Oak and El Monte Ave. that resembles this view. (Not that I was really expecting to.) Mystery remains!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Before the It
LAPL

This appears to be a shot close to the time of completion, before what seem to be many façade alterations.

LAPL

The LAPL photo caption reads that the Cinnabar was open from 1924 (although it seems the hotel's didn't open until October 1925) to 1937 (it seems the It opened in October 1937).

It seems what may have actually opened in the space in 1925 was Klemtner's (address: 1633 N Vine)...
-the space was Klemtners then Cinnabar then the It Cafe.
I just found this postcard of Les Comiques in the Hollywood Plaza Hotel. I wonder if this was located in the It space,
or was the hotel large enough to have two separate restaurant spaces?

ebay/nov.2013

reverse

__

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 1:32 AM

Found!

Boy, will my face will be red if this has been posted, but the little brick building "on Vermont, on Mt. Hollywood, on the way to Griffith Park" is actually on Glendower, just off Vermont, south of Mt. Hollywood, and south of Griffith Park. Address is somewhere around 2693 Glendower Ave. I'll have to stop by this place...I see new solar panels, rooftop patio, ubiquitous trashbins...but the little garage is neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Last image by H Schultheis, probably has nothing to do with Griffith other than its nearby location and the fact that it is dated (1937). It looks well constructed and very livable. Notably, it sports an orb that could have been sourced from one of your favorite street lights - when no one was looking!

1937 - "A brick building on Vermont Avenue [on Mt. Hollywood] on the way to Griffith Park." Herman J. Schultheis Collection

Google Maps

Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
The Egyptian style house was interesting, particularly the relief over the door:

Herman J. Schultheis Collection
Bad news is, looks like the building has been relieved of its Egyptian relief over the door.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 4:03 AM

Quote:
-side entrance marquee (the front entrance has Hotel above Teris/this is reversed)

-What's going on below the side entrance is something quite sordid (and noirish).
suicide leap from fire escape 1951

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/91245/rec/5

I vaguely remember posting this photograph years ago on the thread. At the time I commented on the little blonde boy on the right;
wondering what must be going through his mind.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 23, 2013 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 5:24 AM

Quote:

I think the new boulevard described may be Ramona Blvd., which runs from El Monte towards Baldwin Park, Covina, San Dimas and La Verne. The caption indicates that the easement is a plan by the City of El Monte, so presumably it's within the 1927 city limits of El Monte, which were quite small. I have a 1932 USGS map overlaid on Google Earth and it's basically centered around what is now Valley Mall and Tyler Ave. On this map, Valley Mall and Valley Blvd. are called Pomona Blvd., and head southeast to Pomona, while most of today's Ramona Blvd. towards the northeast is a Pacific Electric line. Several blocks do exist however, from Santa Anita Ave. to Valley Blvd., east of which the modern road jogs a bit northward to join the PE line. The old map also seems to show a church at the south corner of Ramona Blvd. and Valley Blvd., and that's the area I'm guessing for this photo. If that's the case, the site of the church is now the north corner of a parking garage for the El Monte Courthouse of the LA Superior Court. The empty lot where the men and photographer are standing would be the east corner of Ramona Blvd. & Valley Blvd., currently holding a Bank of America.

So my supposition is that today's Ramona Blvd. west of Valley was Columbia St., and today's Ramona Blvd. east of Valley was the proposed El Monte Blvd. Where the direction changes slightly at Valley, a jog cutting off the corner is required to join the two parts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos