HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

Yes many cities did the same thing. Salt Lake had miles upon miles of Trolley tracks and are also looking to bring trolleys back. Cleveland Ohio city neighborhoods and first ring suburbs were built around a trolley transportation system and of course they too were removed. Sadly for Cleveland is that they don't have the population growth that SLC and Boise have to once again pursue trolley systems.
I'm not sure if National City Lines has ever been brought up re. the trolley systems across the nation, but looking back on what they did, it was a pretty systematic dismantling of the trolley cars with the express purpose of promoting the gas powered bus and the automobile.

Here's a couple of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_City_Lines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_A...eetcar_scandal

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 11:23 PM

Anderson Tower

I always thought this would be cool to still have gracing The Avenues, kind of reminds me of Coit Tower in San Fransisco only a lot smaller:

"Anderson Tower was built in 1884 by Robert R. Anderson (1848-1935), a pioneer of 1867 and one of the original settlers on the north bench of Salt Lake City. The tower was patterned after similar towers Mr. Anderson had seen in Scotland as a young boy. They were known as "follies." It was constructed of gray granite from the same quarry used to supply the granite for the Salt Lake Temple. The circular three-story structure, located at 303 A Street, was 54 feet high and 25 feet in diameter. Inside the austere tower was a winding stairway that led past numerous windows to the observation deck equipped with a telescope. People were charged a small fee to climb to the top for the view. The venture was unsuccessful, and Anderson opened the tower free to the public until vandalism forced its closure. For forty-eight years Anderson Tower stood as an imposing, picturesque landmark on the Avenues, visible from many parts of Salt Lake Valley. This ended in November of 1932 when the tower was razed and the land leveled."
-Utah State History

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 1:53 PM

Granite Stake LDS Tabernacle - Approx. 33rd South and State

commentary by mbush utah - Granite Stake Tabernacle, Salt Lake City. The building stood from 1903 to 1956. This beautiful building met the fate of many other LDS tabernacles and chapels which proved difficult to maintain, difficult to heat, had no parking and no longer met the needs of modern congregations.

Today, the LDS Church stresses historical preservation. Its unfortunate that so many beautiful buildings were lost. Perhaps some could be rebuilt as modern temples.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Today, the LDS Church stresses historical preservation.
Ya 33rd could have really benefited from that beauty. But I'm not sold on the above statement. The battle for The Inn and First Security is too fresh in my memory. Some other beauties on 33rd:

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 7:07 PM

I have to agree with you Wasden. I don't think that the church is too into preservation. Certain buildings and sites yes but not as an overall agenda. I grew up on the west side of Salt Lake City in the Pioneer Stake area. All of the old chapels in that stake alone have either been sold or torn down. Remember the LDS church also tore down all the buildings that were on the LDS Church Office Building block in order to build that highrise. They tore down the Gardo House and have sold off numbers of older buildings which have later been torn down. I agree that they have also restored many beautiful old buildings and do a wonderful job in the restoration and maintenance of these old buildings but they also don't have a problem in tearing something down if it stands in the way of other plans or becomes more of a burden than an asset. We almost lost this beauty.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 7:50 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I'm glad the LDS Church. ( Not the church ) LOL kept the "First Security" building.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Me too, but this beautiful building wasn't saved because of any church's love of history [actually, most church's don't like history unless it's biblical]. This building was saved only because of public outcry.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 9:58 PM

T-Mac- if you get a chance you should do a before and after shot of that location on 33rd cuz it has changed a lot! Unfortunately not for the better IMO.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 10:55 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
T-Mac- if you get a chance you should do a before and after shot of that location on 33rd cuz it has changed a lot! Unfortunately not for the better IMO.

Isn't there a movie theater there now on that same site?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:21 PM
They all float down here

33rd is a mini-State Street.

As for historical preservation, thankfully some churches were saved. Namely the Second Ward in Central City and the one in SugarHouse, off of 7th East (with a dome, not sure what ward).

While checking their website for the names of these wards (since I'm not LDS), I did find they were using one of my photos for the SugarHouse Ward homepage.

https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,...7-4685,00.html

From their site:

And from my old Homestead account, which has some photos of SugarHouse I took in the winter of 2003, I believe.

The file name is even the same (except the LDS Church added _st at the end of it). Not that I care, but it was interesting to see that come up while searching...not something I expected.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:27 PM

Classic Metro Wasatch - This beautiful LDS Wasatch Stake tabernacle in Heber below was slated for demolition, but the townsfolk were soooo up in arms about the demolition of neighboring Summit Stake, (Coalville's Tabernacle) that they wouldn't allow it. The city (citizens) purchased the building and it now serves as City Hall.

mbush utah

by mosia2v17's

Click the link below.
/Shipler Collection

This Summit Stake Tabernacle was considered one of the finest examples of buildings of it's genre anywhere in No. America. I get so upset about it's demolition that I can't dwell on the subject too long.
There is no excuse for the short sighted stupidity that leads to this type of action. I keep reminding myself that people are people and "a single individual or small group of individuals" can be reponsible for great good or terrible mistakes.

Guys, please take a moment and go to this link, as the copy of the larger format was not possible. You will see how sad it was that this incredible building was destroyed

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/res...&CISOSTART=1,1

Here's another incredible beauty. This building was in Lehi. I ran across a pic of it purely by accident, and wasn't even aware that it had existed. I say let's tear down the bland clock tower at Gateway and put this tower up in it's place!!

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/res...2C%2Fushs-hook

Last edited by delts145; Feb 9, 2009 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 9:56 PM
BANNED

It's too bad the LDS Church didn't just sell their older buildings for new uses instead of demolishing them in order to build new unimpressive buildings on the same lots.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 10:56 PM

The thing I like about those old churches is that they are all different looking and architecturally unique. Plus they're not surrounded by a sea of asphalt like a spiritual Walmart.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
It's too bad the LDS Church didn't just sell their older buildings for new uses instead of demolishing them in order to build new unimpressive buildings on the same lots.
In some cases they do just sell the old buildings and others demolish them.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 1:24 AM

I keep thinking what an incredible theatre this building could have possibly made. Even if not a theatre, but simply offices, at least we would still have this incredible and unique beauty.

This is why I am still so anxious to see Gateway Six under construction. It's as if they finally figured it out and are giving us a structure with all of the charm of the past. At least looking at the rendering it appeared that way.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 2:02 AM
They all float down here

Isn't it interesting the old Century Theater on the site by this church was domed as well?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 3:07 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
In some cases they do just sell the old buildings and others demolish them.
On the corner of 6200 South and Redwood there is a former LDS church building is now a (I think... correct me if I'm wrong) presbyterian church.

Although, it isn't very classical in design.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 3:19 AM

I'm not sure what the story is on the meetinghouse at 27th South and 3rd East but that's my favorite of the still-serving ward houses I've seen.

Also hope they never have to damage the one on 3rd Avenue and A st.

Anyone know anything about the one on 4th South and 8th East?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 3:36 AM

The one on 400 South and 800 East is President Hinckley's ward that he grew up in. The church did a huge and expensive restoration on this one.

Photo by T-Mac

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 7:05 AM
BANNED

I like these older "ward houses:"

500 East and 700 South:

900 East near 2100 South:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West