Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 11:33 PM
I am the law!

Why is surpassing FCP so important?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
I have seen that project, but it isn't confirmed yet.
Do you think supertall just fall outta the sky?

The fact we have 7 supertalls in some form of development should be enough to keep you satisfied until the city gives approval to one of them, and hopefully the one with a developer willing to follow through.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:13 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I think because there are so many other cities out there, not just in canada, that are getting a new tallest, or even several of them, but Toronto has been stuck with it's tallest for 38 years now... There is also somewhat of a prestige factor involved in having a supertall in your city, and thats what Toronto will get if FCP is surpassed. (Technically a taller tower can be built but yet still not be a supertall I suppose, 299 metres, but that seems rather unlikely to me)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:16 AM

Koops, those are my thoughts exactly. Even the 299m tower!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:43 AM

I love FCP, but I think maybe it is time its title as Toronto's tallest is usurped. It's not going anywhere. It'll still be there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:00 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I think because there are so many other cities out there, not just in canada, that are getting a new tallest, or even several of them, but Toronto has been stuck with it's tallest for 38 years now... There is also somewhat of a prestige factor involved in having a supertall in your city, and thats what Toronto will get if FCP is surpassed. (Technically a taller tower can be built but yet still not be a supertall I suppose, 299 metres, but that seems rather unlikely to me)

That's what I thought. I just don't get it. Competing with Asia height wise is out of the question and the list of metropolises with supertalls is not exactly impressive. Every couple of week someone posts almost the exact same thing with no explanation as to why and with an air of hubris in light of the condo boom's accomplishment. We will have statistically distanced ourselves from the rest of the Canada/US pack and will be looking ahead to Chicago whether FCP gets surpassed or not and, despite the recent release of supertall visions, it doesn't look like we will surpass FCP anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:25 AM

Really nice to see Edmonton and Winnipeg stepping it up, hopefully Québec City does too, and that new tallest in Hamilton will look fine if it gets done

I love what's going on in other cities like Toronto and Vancouver, but its the smaller cities whose skylines are more noticeably impacted by say doubling their numbers or getting a new standout. Good on the country, and good to see everyone is moving forward. This decade is certainly turning out to be a good one for high rises!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:26 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that there's any prestige left in having a 1000' skyscraper in your city. Maybe back in the 70's that was an impressive status symbol, but not today.

A supertall should be in the top 20, which would mean a tower of at least 1261', at least for now. There are something like 30 towers under construction that are taller than 1261'.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:55 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Right now there are 70 built supertalls, but only 30 cities currently have a supertall. Dubai, New York, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Chicago comprise the lions share of supertalls. There are also 80 under construction, in 23 other cities other than the previous 30, for a total of 150 supertalls, in 53 cities.
Thats a pretty exclusive list, compared to all the cities, and all the thousands (3630 built and U/C 150M+) of skyscrapers, in the entire world.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:18 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Because it's time . . . Long overdue in fact (IMO), and it's exciting.
Actually I think Koops summed it up perfectly (see post 1763).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:38 AM

Does it even make economic sense to build a supertall in Toronto? At some point the cost of construction would undermine the economic advantage you would get from a piece of property. Maybe that's why Toronto hasn't seen anything higher than FCP, since it was built decades ago.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:16 PM
gettin' rich!

10 years from now, 2 of the 7 might have made it or will be on their way to making it into reality.

Funny enough, the one with the shortest timeframe would be pinnacle, if the city gives them the greenlight.

The other 5 are smash and build projects which will impact significantly on their timelines.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:36 AM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:19 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

That's what suburbs should look like.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow, what a change for good ol' Whalley. I worked in Whalley for a few years in the mid nineties.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:37 AM

Just using paint, I filled in most of the major projects in downtown Hamilton that will have a big impact on the skyline.
All of the buildings, except two, have either been approved or are under construction. The two buildings that have not
yet been approved, should be, when the full plan is revealed within the next 2 months.

*The location for the 44 floor tower has not been released yet, but it is rumored to be built on the location of what is currently Sir John A.
MacDonald Secondary School, so that is where I put it.

Photos Taken By: Jaybird | Posted On: skyscrapercity.com | Edited By Me

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 1:21 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

What's the 11 floorer by the escarpment?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 1:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
What's the 11 floorer by the escarpment?
http://molinarogroup.com/ovation/

http://renewhamilton.ca/portfolio/ovation/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 1:52 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada