HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:42 PM

MADD is a huge powerful lobby in Ontario.

BTW bring back happy hour too!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Did I mention how much I hate the Beer Store? I tell ya, if they didn't sell beer, I would never set foot in one (even to return bottles/cans...give them away). As it is now, I mainly go to the LCBO (almost as horrid, but less stanky customers) for my beermanship.

Fuck, I miss Quebec.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:26 PM

I went to one, the first time in probably a decade, because I wanted to use their parking lot while I looked at a property and the whole experience left me reeling. And you're right about the stanky customer base. It seems to only exist so people who drink a 2-4 all day can return their empties for a discount on a new 2-4.

I'm going to try the new beer boutique next time I'm in Liberty Village but I don't have high hopes.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 5:33 PM
National Capital Region

Interesting situation in the Ottawa area... Charity for homeless youth decided to team up with a local microbrewery Beau's to offer home delivery for beer. The program provided a job for a homeless person and funding for the charity. An unnamed beer manufacturer complained and the AGCO shut down the operation because the rules require that all home delivery alcohol must be purchased from the LCBO or the Molson-Coors/Anheuser-Busch InBev/Sapporo-owned Beer Store. Hopefully they will be able to successfully change the rules to allow Ontario microbreweries to also offer this service.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/So...534/story.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Interesting situation in the Ottawa area... Charity for homeless youth decided to team up with a local microbrewery Beau's to offer home delivery for beer. The program provided a job for a homeless person and funding for the charity. An unnamed beer manufacturer complained and the AGCO shut down the operation because the rules require that all home delivery alcohol must be purchased from the LCBO or the Molson-Coors/Anheuser-Busch InBev/Sapporo-owned Beer Store. Hopefully they will be able to successfully change the rules to allow Ontario microbreweries to also offer this service.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/So...534/story.html
I liked how Premier Dad weighed in and defended the charity. Surprised me actually.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:56 PM
I am a typical

He verbally defended them. Will he do so legislatively? The NDP and Liberals have already teamed up to kill the PC's bill to give municipalities their rights back in regard to green energy development. I'm sure they'll do it again to kill any hopes of ending the alcohol monopolies.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 AM

Still trying

Beera and wine in corner stores is back in the news. Big petition presented yesterday. So what is the difference if:

"Convenience stores already sell alcohol in 214 Ontario communities that are too small for a regular LCBO outlet or Beer Store."

Seeing the Beer Store is owned by the Big 3, craft brewers or our local guys are dismissed to the LCBO.
About time for change, just strictly enforce the laws should there be a problem. Cigarettes buyers have to be "carded". So ?????
Plus It would be easier on the environment as you could walk and just pick up what you need.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 3:26 PM

Hope the petition leads to change, though I highly doubt it.

Won't happen under this Liberal government. They're too much in bed with the big brewers to end their monopoly. As well they wouldn't want to offend special interests like MADD, with their neo-prohibitionist agenda. Too much from Premier Dad to worry about.

The other parties options aren't that great either. NDP wants to "provincialize" beer sales via the LCBO, ie more union jobs, not exactly liberalizing sales. PCs are cool with corner store beer but also want to explore privately owned LCBO locations, as well as full privatization, which IMO is a huge mistake.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 4:59 PM

The current set up with the Beer Stores and LCBO doesn't bother me. I don't drink enough, or often enough for it to bother me.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 5:30 PM
User Registered

I'm for it, as long as they sell it for LCBO/Beer Store prices.

Maybe selling it in the same time frame as bars (10am-2am) may help too.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 5:42 PM

Bring it on. I would really love it if some specialty beer stores opened. I'm so sick and tired of the same old brands at the LCBO. There are literally hundreds of great microbrews in the US and you can't buy any of them here.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 3:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

LCBO is unbelievably behind the times. Most outlets have the charm of soviet-union-era retail stores. Most of the wine is Ontario piss like Dan Akroyd or Girls night out or Fat Bastard (shit swill). Most locations have very little selection of good wines from the continent). Sure there are good Canadian wines (I much prefer Okanagan Rieslings, Shiraz, and Pinot Noir), but there is plenty of mediocre stuff, esp. from Ontario.

The Beer Store is much worse. I blame the Beer store for the rise of Bud/Coors. The Beer Store prices are at least 25% higher than what you would pay in Quebec. The Beer Store hours are fucking ridiculous (the one near me closes at 6pm all but fri/sat...how fucking convenient is that?). Retarded excuse of higher prices: to promote "responsible" drinking. I hate the Beer Store. It is really quite amazing that a place that sells one of my favorite products could be so terrible. Lineups. Some jerk having to get your stuff in the back (naturally, cases of Bud, Canadian, and Coors Light are on stackout, but I only drink beer). Waiting in line to return empties. Parking lot full of pickup trucks. Why the fuck does every man in Ontario drive a pickup truck (and sport a goatee, and usually a porky wife)? They can't all be contractors.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 3:54 PM
I am a typical

The Beer Store does give us one of humanities most impressive sights: An alcoholic on a bike successfully navigating traffic while balancing a 2-4 of Lucky on his lap.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The Beer Store does give us one of humanities most impressive sights: An alcoholic on a bike successfully navigating traffic while balancing a 2-4 of Lucky on his lap.
I thought they balance it between their handle bars, you know the 10 speed handle bars that have been flipped up like ram horns...

I live 2 doors from a Beer Store, I see all sorts of interesting things. It's funny watching retired guys walking to the beer store with a little red wagon (hello radio flyer!) at 10am..

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
I am a typical

Here they mostly will ride one-handed, and balance it on one knee while pedalling carefully.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 11:23 AM

Canadain press release from Hamilton Spectator

Tories say it's time to let Ont. stores sell beer and wine
Progressive Conservatives say it's time Ontario considered selling beer and wine around the clock in convenience stores.

The Tories oppose plans by the Liquor Control Board to spend $100 million over two years to build about 70 new stores, and say it's time to review the government's role in the alcohol business.

Convenience stores recently submitted a petition with over 112,000 signatures calling on the government to allow them to sell beer and wine.

Conservative Peter Shurman believes it's time to let the private sector play a larger role in selling liquor, and says his party would consider making beer and wine available 24-7.

Canadian Press 8 August 2012. Press release: No author's name

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:31 PM
National Capital Region

Pretty unfair that three foreign multinationals can have retail stores other than at their brewery but Canadian companies can't.

Ottawa beer maker calls on province to allow brewer-owned stores
By Mark Brownlee, The Ottawa Citizen August 9, 2012

OTTAWA — A local beer company is asking the provincial government to give craft brewers the power to open their own stores as a means of tapping into an expanding demand for their products.

Kichesippi Beer, which operates west of downtown Ottawa and just north of the Queensway, said the province’s laws concerning liquor sales are holding back the business.

Brewers, as it stands now, can only sell their take-home products at the provincially owned Liquor Control Board of Ontario, the privately owned Beer Store, duty-free shops at border crossings or the location at which they brew the beer.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Lo...#ixzz23BI6jCND

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:57 PM
I am a typical

So many craft breweries in my city have failed because of this law. Dozens of jobs and probably tens of millions of dollars of economic activity have been lost in the past 10 years alone because of the monopoly.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:59 PM

Local is better

This is a good compromise. I believe one of the provinces allows local brewers only to sell their wares in the corner stores.
In Nova Scotia you can pick up the product at the brewery. Like Garrison at Pier 21, from the Propeller.
Give the local entrepreneurs a chance like the wine stores in the grocery stores.
Add some of these to the tourist areas.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 3:30 PM

There is a market, but Big 3, don't like competition

There is a market for craft beer and corner stores can be a part.

Halifax Chronical Herald:

Propeller Breweries
Expansion brews for Propeller
16 hours ago
By COLLEEN COSGROVE Business Reporter

Six consecutive years of double-digit growth and a local population with an unquenchable thirst for craft beer have Propeller Brewing Co. on the hunt for more real estate.

Operating at capacity for the last two years, the north-end Halifax microbrewery is ready to take its craft beer business to the next level.

A new warehouse and distribution facility is the first step, spokesman Andrew Cooper said Thursday.

“In our current location, we physically cannot produce any more beer than we already are,” Cooper said. “We’ve eaten up all of our warehouse space on Gottingen Street with tanks over the past couple of years as we increased production, and now we’re to the point where we can’t add any more tanks.”

The current space crunch has Propeller storing its dry goods and glass products in two separate locations and having them trucked in daily to its Gottingen Street headquarters. A new warehouse and distribution complex would consolidate those facilities and free up much-needed room at the brewery to increase beer and soda production.

The extra space would allow for additional fermenters and eventually increased annual production.

The microbrewery now produces 8,100 hectolitres a year of beer and soda, or about 2.3 million bottles. Propeller offers six core brands of brew, three sodas and four seasonal beers offered at different times through the year.

Space is such a hot commodity that production of its summer seasonal beer, Propeller Hefeweizen, was cancelled this year.

Propeller has been on the lookout for a new warehouse and distribution facility for a few months and hopes to secure a property by the end of the year.

Although sales have been on the rise for six years, and the brewery is on track to post double-digit sales growth again in 2012, Cooper said only now is the timing right for a slow, calculated expansion.

“Our philosophy on expansion is that we don’t want to add excess capacity that we won’t use immediately,” he said. “We realized that we would need another facility two years ago ... and after it became apparent that growth locally in the craft beer industry is not going to plateau any time soon, then we knew the time was right.”

Propeller ships beer to markets in New Brunswick, Ontario and British Columbia but more brewing capacity will not lead to more markets, Cooper said.

“It doesn’t make sense for a craft brewer, in our opinion, to build capacity to feed outside markets,” he said.

“It’s nice to have our brands across the country but we don’t have any goals for world domination. Growing our local market is where it’s at.”

(ccosgrove@herald.ca)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario