HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 11:06 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
Somebody please put a pulsating electrical current . .
into the angelic wings at Bethesda Fountain . .
It's a disgrace to see unsanitary pigeons shamefully squatting - etc. . .
upon the chaste angels's healing wings . .
that so graciously embrace our celestial skyline . .
(as seen in NYguy's Mar 22nd post)
. . and how about a little water . .
or don't call it Bethesda . .
I actually thought it was pretty seeing the birds sitting on the wings of another. Quite fitting if you ask me. But we all have opinions!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 3:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It was a nice day to drop by.

20160326_153935 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I know 432 Park Avenue will soon disappear from the "Super Tall Construction" pages. I just wanted to say, It's been nice, Thanks.
Yes, these are the final days, but it has been a fun ride, one that started with excitement and anticipation, thanks to the webcam that spoiled us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
From Forest Ave. + Victory Blvd.

From Oxford Pl.

That view in about 3-4 years will be mind blowing...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That view in about 3-4 years will be mind blowing...
It's pretty mind blowing compared to 2002. There was this void where the Twin Towers used to be, and without the 57th street buildings (also before the NYT + BOA) it just seemed strange.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 2:45 AM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
View from the Louis Calder Biological Field Station...

Kam

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:40 PM
don't *meddle*...

_Y2A9766 by Josh Churba, on Flickr

_Y2A9802 by Josh Churba, on Flickr

_Y2A9836 by Josh Churba, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
hmmm... not dissimilar from my own view of the city. Except you'd need a nice setup to capture it this clearly. ~25-30 miles away

from the same photographer, at night.

Manhattan View from my House in the Woods by Kam, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:53 PM

I'm totally fine with people liking this tower, but I really hate it (hope no one insults me for my opinion, before I explain why). Was in Central Park and my friend and I just thought it stuck out like a sore thumb next to buildings from bygone eras like the elegant San Remo and Dakota. There's no effort to make this building blend in an organic way with the park or surrounding buildings. It just sticks out into the sky like a giant middle finger. And I'm not against modern skyscrapers ringing the park. I think One 57 turned out okay. But this building to me detracts instead of adds. It's as bad for the view from Central Park, as the downtown 'Verizon' building is for the view from Brooklyn.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
I'm totally fine with people liking this tower, but I really hate it (hope no one insults me for my opinion, before I explain why). Was in Central Park and my friend and I just thought it stuck out like a sore thumb next to buildings from bygone eras like the elegant San Remo and Dakota. There's no effort to make this building blend in an organic way with the park or surrounding buildings. It just sticks out into the sky like a giant middle finger. And I'm not against modern skyscrapers ringing the park. I think One 57 turned out okay. But this building to me detracts instead of adds. It's as bad for the view from Central Park, as the downtown 'Verizon' building is for the view from Brooklyn.

i think people that feel this way will feel a lot better soon enough when the next round of mega towers rise and even up the cp view skyline a little more. then it won't stand out so much. patience!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 9:06 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Probably not. People who don't like change just won't like the effect all of these new towers. Forget about the fact that each and every skyscraper in New York City was new at one time, changing the look of what was before. I can only imagine the horror such people felt watching the Empire State rise, or worse, the original WTC. These days, you almost certainly need to be a supertall to be a major presence on the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
^ Probably not. People who don't like change just won't like the effect all of these new towers. Forget about the fact that each and every skyscraper in New York City was new at one time, changing the look of what was before. I can only imagine the horror such people felt watching the Empire State rise, or worse, the original WTC. These days, you almost certainly need to be a supertall to be a major presence on the skyline.
I actually made a point to say I'm not opposed to new skyscrapers using One57 as an example, so that argument doesn't hold water. Sorry, but by any objective measure art-deco skyscrapers like the Chrysler and the ESB are superior to this 400 meter support-beam. I think even the architect of 432 would admit to that.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:40 AM

Quote:
I actually made a point to say I'm not opposed to new skyscrapers using One57 as an example, so that argument doesn't hold water. Sorry, but by any objective measure art-deco skyscrapers like the Chrysler and the ESB are superior to this 400 meter support-beam. I think even the architect of 432 would admit to that.
Again, your main concern was "sticks out like a sore thumb". There are taller buildings coming, so your main issue will be addressed. As to One57 being a better tower, you won't find many folks, especially architecture critics, who agree.

And, yeah, Chrysler is a better tower. It's probably the most admired skyscraper on earth. If that were the standard, then no building should have been built in Manhattan since 1929. Even the ESB can't compare.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 1:28 PM
don't *meddle*...

Imposing ...

NYC from Staten Island by RyanKirschnerImages, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:44 PM

Great Pic!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:58 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

What an amazing shot. I love the reflection of 50 West Street in 4WTC.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 11:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Great shot Hunser.

You can see 10 HY peeking on the far left. 30 HY will tower over the WFC from that perspective. Also when I was checking out the image, imagining what the coming super talls will look like. They will fill that sky right by the GE Center.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 3:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I actually made a point to say I'm not opposed to new skyscrapers using One57 as an example, so that argument doesn't hold water.
Sorry, but by any objective measure art-deco skyscrapers like the Chrysler and the ESB are superior to this 400 meter support-beam. I think even the architect of 432 would admit to that.

Again, there you go. I would say 432 Park - despite the obvious lack of detail, would have more in common with classic skyscrapers like a ESB or Chrysler than a One57.
I think people who (wrongly) see NYC as being overtaken by glass towers would agree. But regardless of design, as I mentioned earlier,
the city is covered in buildings that were new at the time. Not every building was looked on as "great" when first proposed or built.

IcoNYCa

techpro12

javansg

lozwilkes

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 2:57 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive