HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:29 AM

A number of people I know here in Timmins go to the Gatineau Costco for beer when visiting Ottawa or Gatineau. One of my co-workers is takes her truck and knows exactly how many big cases of Coors Light cans she can fit.

I will go to the IGA or Super C when I'm in Rouyn-Noranda but I normally get brands that aren't available in Ontario such as Boréale, Tremblay, Belle-Gueule (only one or two varieties available in Ontario) and micro-brews.

As for Costco in Thunder Bay, I do think it will take at least 2-3 years but I'm quite sure it will happen.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:55 PM

The fence is in place and the backhoe is parked for demolition of the former Anishnawbe Mushkiki on Royston. An apartment building shall rise in its place.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
The fence is in place and the backhoe is parked for demolition of the former Anishnawbe Mushkiki on Royston. An apartment building shall rise in its place.
My understanding is the building is staying (formerly the Lands Registry building prior). It will be converted into loft-style space, and will be known as Royston Court Lofts. Guessing the machine is on site to dig for the foundation for the new apartment building. See website for a few more details: http://www.redriverholdings.ca/residential-properties/

======

Hearing work has begun on the new DSSAB units on Algoma where the Roots to Harvest garden used to be. On a related note, Roots to Harvest has begun development of their new garden space at Victoria Park (after some opposition by Thunder Bay's most famous NIMBY, Mr. Smith).

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Not sure one would see a lot of stuff being flown north out of Costco. Probably get a lot more business from those that can drive to Thunder Bay.
No, a lot of it is stuff bought in Thunder Bay. Ever get stuck behind a native family at Wholesale Club buying $700 worth of groceries with 4 carts? (I have, until they opened a second till for me.) They were from Fort Hope, buying supplies for several families. Things like condiments, soft drinks, bottled water and fresh foods cost a fortune up there, to the point that literally flying to Thunder Bay, buying them here, and then flying back, costs less than going to the local store to get the same items. Because everything at those stores is also flown in.

The planes going up north are always flying full, packed pretty much to their capacities. Coming back, they're empty. To ship things south from northern reserves (similar to shipping things out of small towns like Atikokan or Manitouwadge) is hilariously cheap. The companies are usually happy to take anything if it means they're not just dead-heading a cargo plane back to Thunder Bay or Timmins for a refill.

Quote:
Hearing work has begun on the new DSSAB units on Algoma where the Roots to Harvest garden used to be. On a related note, Roots to Harvest has begun development of their new garden space at Victoria Park (after some opposition by Thunder Bay's most famous NIMBY, Mr. Smith).
I have been posting a BEE THREAT rating on Facebook since Wednesday evening in honour of Mr. Smith.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:23 AM

Another thing I have to mention about Costco is that the company is a wholesaler so a lot of businesses buy their goods for resale. Costco also allows almost of its merchandise to be re-sold.

So a lot of stores in remote First Nations and towns would buy at Costco.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:04 AM
I am a typical

Lots of businesses here buy things for resale at Wholesale Club. Not many private households buying flats of 500mL soft drinks or 1.75L bottles of ranch dressing, not to mention the crazy shit like a 100 pack of 18" pizza boxes or a 3-pack of chairs. Costco and Wholesale Club are grocery and restaurant supply companies first and foremost. Letting the public shop there is just a cherry on top of the cake for them.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:58 PM

THUNDER BAY

Some renovations are underway on County Fair Mall again. Sounds like some new tenants may be moving in, or there is another push on to try and get some more units rented out.

The local Subaru dealership may be moving to the Field St./Fort William Rd./Harbour Expressway area after Monday night's council meeting. Several land transactions and re-zoning requests have been successful over the last year, which should see the area developed further.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Sudbury

The new Nissan dealership has opened up. Now to see if the rumors of a BMW dealer opens there. Hopefully they also sell bikes there.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
THUNDER BAY

Some renovations are underway on County Fair Mall again. Sounds like some new tenants may be moving in, or there is another push on to try and get some more units rented out.
I'm not sure if it's incorrect, but on Goldmanco's (County Fair property management) website, it says County Fair mall major tenants include Metro, The Beer Store, The Source, Little Caesars, KFC, Snap Fitness and The UPS Store. I'd be interested to see if these are future tenants of the mall because as far as I know the UPS store is the only one that's actually in there as of right now. Or, it could be an error on their website.
(www.goldmanco.ca/thunderbay)

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 3:55 AM
I am a typical

It's incorrect info on the page, they just copied the info for a mall in Bracebridge and put County Fair on it. They're probably working on redesigning the website since it looks different than the last time I visited it.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 8:10 PM

There is pretty well nothing on the Goldmanco site now for County Fair. Just some floor space specs. Apparently KFC will be building a new location at County Fair though... likely on a new pad site (not in the mall itself).

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:16 AM

Ah, I was hopeful. Recently it seemed like there was some work going on inside the mall itself so I'm curious/hopeful to see what will happen. I used to work at the grocery store in the mall in all it's former glory so I kind of have a soft spot for it. Anyway, I've been watching this page for quite some time and finally decided to join the conversation

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:28 PM
I am a typical

The mall isn't doing too bad in its current form, the parking lot was packed on the long weekend with people trying to stock up before Victoria Day. I hadn't seen it that busy since I was a kid, when it still had all the stores and Canadian Tire in it.

The way they've designed Dollarama, Walmart and No Frills however means the mall part is essentially doomed. If there were a way to go into the three anchor stores from the mall itself, the interior would be doing better. The decision to have them separated, like Northwood Mall, is the main reason that mall isn't coming back.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The mall isn't doing too bad in its current form, the parking lot was packed on the long weekend with people trying to stock up before Victoria Day. I hadn't seen it that busy since I was a kid, when it still had all the stores and Canadian Tire in it.

The way they've designed Dollarama, Walmart and No Frills however means the mall part is essentially doomed. If there were a way to go into the three anchor stores from the mall itself, the interior would be doing better. The decision to have them separated, like Northwood Mall, is the main reason that mall isn't coming back.
Business has definitely seemed to pick up a lot there... much busier than Arthur St. Marketplace, which also has a Wal-Mart, Dollarama and grocery store.

I think the current design of County Fair is the only reason it is still there... if those stores didn't have entrances off the parking lot, those tenants wouldn't be there. Its a pretty tough go for smaller malls to stay afloat now. Entrances from the mall side and on the exterior from the parking lot to the larger tenants help the mall (just like Metro and Wal-Mart at Arthur St. Marketplace). I don't frequent County Fair area very much, so I don't know if that set-up exists there??? The smaller local malls could help themselves out by making the mall entrances a little more noticeable and inviting too... I don't know that I even know where to get into the mall portions of County Fair or Northwood Mall.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 12:09 AM
I am a typical

The mall entrance to Northwood Mall is in between McFrugals and the BMO. It actually looks like a service entrance as opposed to a mall entrance. There are a couple businesses in there, a salon and a clinic I think.

County Fair on the other hand has 3 entrances, the one at the front beside NoFrills (which should have been configured as the entrance to NoFrills, similar to Northwood Mall, but with access to the mall itself as well) which leads to the library and BMO, and two on either side of the former food court at the back. I think the library is using the former Laundromat entrance as well? The mall still has around 20 storefronts in it (it had 41 I think when it was thriving in the early 1990s), lots of spots have been merged into larger locations when things like Service Ontario, St. Joseph's Care Group and the Library moved in there.

No Frills and Dollarama do not have mall access, they just have blank walls in those spots. Walmart does have a mall access, but every time I've gone there, it's been closed. As far as I know, the only things in the mall are the library, the UPS Store and Pauly G's barber shop by the Walmart entrance. SJCG and Service Ontario moved out years ago. I don't think the BMO opens its doors to the mall anymore either.

I've been meaning to go in there and take a look around but every time I am up there either I don't have the time or the mall is closed.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:20 PM

Thunder Bay

Dawson Court has been sold to a local developer for $450,000 (accotding to tbnewswatch.com). The developer is Ahsanul Habib. He also bought the Royal Edward last year, is involved in the redevelopment of FWCI and another project on Victoria Avenue (I believe). It seems like his projects don't get off the ground - they remain vacant and continue to deteriorate.

On another note, the Lyceum was sold over a year ago to a developer who was supposed to renovate and make it into a night club. Has anyone heard on the status of the project as this property also continues to deteriorate.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:43 AM
I am a typical

Habib's project on Victoria (the Roy Block) was led by a different firm and received federal funding, which is why the residential component is complete. Generally he bites off more than he can chew. With FCWI, the Royal Edward, and now Dawson Court, he's got three major projects on the go and none of them have much momentum.

As for the Lyceum, I've heard that they're slowly making progress, but I have a feeling that even before they started, the condition of the building was too rough to make it easy for them to repair it. They might have given up, or are stalling in the hopes of either getting more money to complete it, or of the building just collapsing so they can walk away.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:07 AM

Thanks for your reply.

The other bit of news is the old courthouse in Port Arthur. That has also been sold and the transaction will close in June. It will be interesting to see what plans are in store for the building.

Last edited by ADLS; Jun 1, 2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: grammar error

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 6:53 PM

Not sure what Habib's game plan is. Even if he can pull together a workable plan for any of the noted larger buildings he owns, its unlikely he will be able to find anyone to do the work for him (not going to go into detail here). Its a real shame he ends up with these buildings when there are other developers who can make things happen out there. The Royal Eddy should be reverting back to municipal ownership soon (if the original agreement is held) since nothing is happening, as there was a development window attached to the sale. At least the land was severed around Dawson Court so there is still a lot of potential for something meaningful to happen there.

The numbered company that I believe owns the Lyceum building has been pre-occupied with other projects... one of which was of considerable duration Toronto. I don't think getting the Lyceum done has been a top priority obviously. These guys aren't scared of work and have cash, so I remain positive that they can get it fixed up.

Have been trying to find out who bought the Camelot St. courthouse building, and no luck so far. I have spoken to another local business person who looked at the building for re-development, and even with the heritage status, they said something can definitely be worked in that building. They also seemed to believe that the property in front could be sub-divided, and also developed with a new building. Timing just wasn't right for them.

======

Fabricland will be opening a location at County Fair Mall. Not sure if this will be a second location for T-Bay, or if they are moving from the back corner of the McIntyre Centre on Memorial Ave. There is tender out for a reno., so its definitely going to be located in the existing mall building somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:01 PM

Developer converting Dawson Court to a student residence - TBNewsWatch.com

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...sidence-635416

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...s-stuck-639003

Last edited by LaurenN; Jun 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario