HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 2:59 PM

I saw on facebook this weekend, that Goodlife Fitness and Party City are moving into the remaining Target vacant space in McAllister Place

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 6:09 PM

MasterMind Toy Stores Coming To Saint John

According to a post on Facebook:

"WE ARE HIRING!
Location: In the plaza across from Best Buy. Between EB Games and CIBC Bank.
Mastermind Toys is coming to Saint John and will be open in June.
Mastermind Toys is a Canadian owned company with 50+ stores across Canada - BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, ON and now moving into the East Coast with stores opening in NB and NS.
Saint John, NB will be opening the first Mastermind Toys Store on the east coast!
We are now hiring for part time Shift Leaders and part time Sales Associates.
Please visit www.mastermindtoys.com to view the qualifications and to submit your resume for employment."

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNB View Post
I saw on facebook this weekend, that Goodlife Fitness and Party City are moving into the remaining Target vacant space in McAllister Place
Has any opening date been given for Party City yet?

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:41 PM

Jean Coutu in SJ North opened today to a large crowd lol

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:37 PM

Readyman in Brunswick Square is closing......the slow march towards death......That mall is a disgrace.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Readyman in Brunswick Square is closing......the slow march towards death......That mall is a disgrace.
Tough times for Brunswick Square,...I believe the owner is involved in at least one other store there - I wonder if there are more announcements on the horizon?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:58 PM

A couple of rumours. Apparently marshalls is going into the old sobeys at Mcallister place. Starbucks is still looking for an uptown location.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:01 AM

I don't know if it's been posted here yet, but GoodLife and Party City are filling up the remaining space where Target used to be.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:24 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Was over West today and the West Side Mary Brown's has closed.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:46 AM

Starbucks is a soulless bin, let's get real here. In this matter, less is certainly more

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:27 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Oh, speaking of coffee shops, a new independent is opening up in the basement of the Bustin's building off Grannan Street Uptown. It's called Rogue Coffee and they're hoping to open in early July.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:55 PM

Some news about Sears Canada...

After having opened it's doors back on Wed., Aug. 2, 1989 at 8:30AM in McAllister Place, Sears is a store that's about to be closed there, due to Sears Canada Inc. receiving the ability to protect itself from creditors due to a restructuring.

The full news is here.

https://sears.investorroom.com/2017-...=false&lang=en

This means that the only real anchor that will be left at McAllister Place, barring a new grocery store going into where Sobeys was, will be Toys R' Us, which opened in late-Sept. of 1996.

o.o

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Some news about Sears Canada...

After having opened it's doors back on Wed., Aug. 2, 1989 at 8:30AM in McAllister Place, Sears is a store that's about to be closed there, due to Sears Canada Inc. receiving the ability to protect itself from creditors due to a restructuring.

The full news is here.

https://sears.investorroom.com/2017-...=false&lang=en

This means that the only real anchor that will be left at McAllister Place, barring a new grocery store going into where Sobeys was, will be Toys R' Us, which opened in late-Sept. of 1996.

o.o
Does Sears own that property or does the mall ?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:40 PM

I really believe Sears stopped being an anchor in that mall years ago when it became irrelevant because it couldn't adapt to 21st century shoppers. Target and sobeys left and are going replaced by smaller more relevant retailers and services. I hear marshalls is going into the sobeys location. The Sears location will likely be subdivided into smaller spaces. This is a loss and I feel for the employees but this is also an opportunity for smaller independent retailers to step up their game and fill the void. Just look around our city. Entrepreneurs are popping up everywhere......

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Does Sears own that property or does the mall ?
Mall owned Property.

I agree with Uptown Jeff on this topic Sears does not seem to have held the position of Anchor Store for a long while.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:32 AM

These sorts of stores were great when there were not many options for specialty places, but who wants to go someplace that isn't a leader in any area, and is subpar in most?

Used to be the Wishbook was every kids must read, now no toys in the store. No sporting goods any more. Tool and outdoor section - can't actually tell you if they still exist. No electronics section. A huge furniture section - don't know about you, but I don't shop for couches very often. Decent mens clothing section, but it's not like you can't buy clothes elsewhere. Don't see many young women shopping for clothes there, so would have to say that section is lacking.

Even Walmart as a competitor - model has changed, about a third of the Saint John store is now food. A changing marketplace means you need to adjust. Compare how many people are in the Walmart food section and the Sears furniture section the next time you're in the stores.

I think Sears should have completely OWNED online shopping, they already had in place the distribution system and the advantage of pickup locations allowing people to avoid shipping costs.

It's a shame they are closing from a fondness standpoint, but other than the jobs which will go I can't say I'll miss them much, because they had become almost irrelevant to me.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:14 PM

The paper today shows East Link is finally expanding to SJ, opening a store in McAllister Place.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:29 PM

Michael Hill is opening a location at McAllister as well. Slowly but surely we will get that mall filled up before Sears closes.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:09 PM

Cleve's is set to open at East Point Shopping Thursday.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohnirish☘ View Post
The paper today shows East Link is finally expanding to SJ, opening a store in McAllister Place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Michael Hill is opening a location at McAllister as well. Slowly but surely we will get that mall filled up before Sears closes.
Cleve's is set to open at East Point Shopping Thursday.
It does seem like it will happen. That the mall will be filled by the impending closure of Sears I mean.

I still stand by the fact when the first signs of Trouble Sears Canada should have Re-branded to Simpsons Cut ties with Sears all together, and re-branded themselves as another "Everything" Store. They would have stayed Competitive in the Canadian Market, and probably not be dying the slow impending death they are curently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces