Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:06 AM

Rust Belt cities are trying to attract more immigrants

A Lonely Life for Immigrants in America's Rust Belt

May 29th, 2015

By ALANA SEMUELS

Read More: http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015...t-belt/394433/

Quote:

Though the Rust Belt was once a hub for immigrants in the 19th century, foreign-born people became rare commodities in the second half of the 20th century. In Cincinnati, for instance, 28 percent of the population in 1880 was foreign-born, according to the Census Bureau. By 1980, only 2.8 percent was.

- Yet just about every city in the Rust Belt is now trying to attract more immigrants to reverse decades of population decline. This trend started in 2011 with Welcome Dayton; Mosaic in St. Louis and Global Detroit recently launched to do the same thing; and, earlier this month, an op-ed in The New York Times proposed encouraging Syrian refugees to resettle Detroit. Not to be left behind, Cincinnati mayor John Cranley announced last year that he wanted to make his city the most immigrant-friendly place in the United States.

- “The economic advantage to the city, if we can figure out how to get more immigrants here, is that it'll be a rising tide that'll lift all boats,” Cranley told me, when we met in his office. “It'll infuse more economic activity, it'll repopulate depressed and blighted neighborhoods that have abandoned buildings, it will bring more flavor to life.” --- The strategy seems to be working in some Midwest cities. Places with relatively small immigrant populations experienced some of the fastest growth rates of foreign-born residents in the last decade, according to the Brookings Institution.

- Cities including Scranton, Indianapolis, and Louisville all doubled their immigrant populations between 2000 and 2010. Dayton has been heralded for its immigrant-friendly policies, which include instructing police not to ask about immigration status when they pull someone over, and it won an award for the U.S. Conference of Mayors for its Welcome Dayton program. --- Still, when politicians talk about attracting immigrants, they’re usually talking about entrepreneurs or people with much-needed talents or skills. Those are the people who can get visas, after all, who can afford to buy homes and start businesses that will rejuvenate the economy of a struggling city.

- But increasingly, small cities are also attracting the people who don’t have money or education, but who willingly do miserable, back-breaking jobs—cleaning houses, washing dishes, packing food. These immigrants find opportunities in their adopted cities, but also overwhelming challenges that might seem more manageable in diverse hubs such as Los Angeles or New York. --- Those metropolises and others would be unimaginable and desolate without the immigrants who hustle through them every day, on their way to jobs, school, the future.

- The immigrants of the past had labor unions, urban schools, settlement houses, and communities at large manufacturing plants to help them acclimate. Today, those institutions are in decline, the nation is divided on immigration, and education is much more essential for immigrants and their children to get ahead, according to Theo Majka, a professor at the University of Dayton who has studied the new immigrant communities there. Without anyone to advocate for immigrants, mainstream institutions “can either facilitate the incorporation of newcomers or create unnecessary obstacles and difficulties that push some toward marginal positions,”.

- Dayton has led smaller Rust Belt cities in integrating immigrants. Many of its neighbors are further behind. Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located, had 21,513 Hispanic residents in 2011, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, making up 3 percent of the population. In the counties that house Ohio’s two other big cities, Cleveland and Columbus, Hispanics were 5 percent of the population in 2011. In Lucas County, where Toledo, a smaller city than Cincinnati, is located, Hispanics made up 6 percent of the population in 2011.

- Cincinnati is located on the border with Kentucky, and is the most conservative city in Ohio, an increasingly conservative state, said Alfonso Cornejo, the president of the Cincinnati Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. A host of factors make it less welcoming to immigrants than other cities, he said. The most popular local talk radio host, Bill Cunningham, frequently spews vitriol about “illegals” and immigration. The sheriff of Butler County, immediately to the north of Cincinnati, Richard K. Jones, has taken a vocal anti-immigration stance, sending an open letter to the president of Mexico asking for a reimbursement of $900,000 for “dealing with your criminals.”

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:32 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah that billboard. no doubt hire is pronounced "haar." haar un illegul.

but really not every place needs to be an immigrant magnet. stagnation is ok with many people and places. i don't see why that can't vary within the former rustbelt as much as it does everywhere and anywhere else.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 1:26 AM
The Vomit Bag.

redneck big-bellied sheriff. Of course.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 2:47 AM

That billboard seems like something you'd have seen on Reno 911. Or maybe Mac and Dennis rent another billboard to, uh, solve the illegal immigrant problem (picture Danny DeVito instead of that guy, same angle, only a gun in one hand and a "thumbs up" happening with the other).

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 10:59 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Pardon my broken Spanish, pero el sheriff gordo aparentemente gusto mucho comida de Mexico.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 4:52 PM

According to the census...

Percent of population foreign born:

Montgomery County(Dayton) 3.7%

Hamilton County(Cincinnati) 4.9%

Cuyahoga County(Cleveland) 7.9%

Franklin County(Columbus) 9.4%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/39/39113.html

* Is Ohio really getting that much more conservative? Lord help us!

I know Cincy is conservative as hell, but Cleveland has always been able to negate that! C'mon Northeast Ohio!!!

That letter to the President of Mexico..what an embarrassment!

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ yeah that billboard. no doubt hire is pronounced "haar." haar un illegul.

but really not every place needs to be an immigrant magnet. stagnation is ok with many people and places. i don't see why that can't vary within the former rustbelt as much as it does everywhere and anywhere else.
I know Canada has a program to attract immigrants to certain regions of the country that were stagnant and/or declining. I dont know the specifics, but I know it would work something like "spend 5 years in Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland and gain citizenship" or "invest 1 million dollars in an economically distressed region and gain instant citizenship". I think a plan like that would work well. Obviously regions like Los Angeles, New York, or Miami would continue to be huge immigrant magnets, but a system like that might relieve some of the stress from the traditional immigrant hubs while bringing vitality to rust belt cities.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 6:12 PM

What about attracting more European immigration? Housing is a big issue in the UK... there's a shortage and it's expensive. Would a proactive effort to lure people the Midwest work? Lots of English-speaking, reasonably educated people might be interested in moving to a place where they can buy a 3-bedroom house for half what it costs in most of England.

To make this work the U.S. might need to take an uncharacteristic approach of mandating (or incentivizing) people to live in particular areas. Get a visa, live in places specified under the program for 5 years (i.e., don't just move to California or Houston), and then you get citizenship?

edit: just noticed goat314 mentioned the same idea above. The key is that it has to be an incentive (e.g., citizenship) rather than restrictions on mobility.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 1:09 AM
Posh

^
Or, how about trying to attract "immigrants" from, say, California, where housing prices are equally outrageous.

Alternatively, maybe the following trend will catch up to Midwestern cities, and in 20 years we'll have the spoiled kids of the wealthy filling up formerly downtrodden neighborhoods.

The ultimate status symbol among the millionaire moms of the Upper East Side is not what you’d expect

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:39 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
* Is Ohio really getting that much more conservative? Lord help us!

I know Cincy is conservative as hell, but Cleveland has always been able to negate that! C'mon Northeast Ohio!!!
The City of Cincinnati isn't conservative, the problem is the rest of Hamilton County and the other Ohio counties that make up the Cincinnati metro (Butler, Warren and Clermont counties)

I want to be surprised by Sheriff Jones' billboard, but I live in Arizona and anyone familiar with Joe Arpaio knows that kind of propaganda is all too commonplace (for what its worth, I don't live in Maricopa County)

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
The City of Cincinnati isn't conservative, the problem is the rest of Hamilton County and the other Ohio counties that make up the Cincinnati metro (Butler, Warren and Clermont counties)

I want to be surprised by Sheriff Jones' billboard, but I live in Arizona and anyone familiar with Joe Arpaio knows that kind of propaganda is all too commonplace (for what its worth, I don't live in Maricopa County)
Yeah I know I was just referring to the general urban area of the place..what is it, 1.8 million or so per demographia? Cincy itself is only 1/6th of that, unfortunately.

I guess I have a negative image of the place, going back to the Hustler thing, the Mapplethorpe thing, the getting rid of adult establishments in Hamilton County thing, Taft country, the riots, etc. etc. etc. It just seems like there is always some draconian conservative action coming from the place. Maybe it is just being so close to Indiana and Kentucky? lol

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
^
Or, how about trying to attract "immigrants" from, say, California, where housing prices are equally outrageous.

Alternatively, maybe the following trend will catch up to Midwestern cities, and in 20 years we'll have the spoiled kids of the wealthy filling up formerly downtrodden neighborhoods.

The ultimate status symbol among the millionaire moms of the Upper East Side is not what you’d expect
Sure, but that's basically just appealing to people through marketing. And lots of people are already leaving California for cheaper places, but not the Rust Belt. They're going to North Carolina and Texas and so on.

If it's foreign immigration, you have more "carrots" to offer people to make a life in a certain place. For example, to get full citizenship you have to stay in a designated place for 5 years. It wouldn't have to be one specific place (e.g., Cleveland), but in any area designated under the program which you would be able to move between (like a nationwide TIF district). And you couldn't restricted people from taking a job in say Northern Virginia, they would just forego the incentive offered.

Last edited by 10023; May 31, 2015 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:16 PM

Some kind of regional work visa where you can only get a job in a certain place.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Immigrants usually flood to areas with a positive outlook on jobs and economic growth and security. There's a reason that these areas have very low population figures of foreign immigrants.

If manufacturing were to take off again, the number would resemble the 1880s again.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I know Canada has a program to attract immigrants to certain regions of the country that were stagnant and/or declining.
I don't think we have that. (Though I've heard the idea thrown around, just like I've also heard it considered for Detroit.)

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 10:15 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Sure, but that's basically just appealing to people through marketing. And lots of people are already leaving California for cheaper places, but not the Rust Belt. They're going to North Carolina and Texas and so on.
Except that Rust Belt locales aren't really that cheap. Municipal governments often have decaying infrastructure, expensive union contracts and cozy relationships with a select handful of private companies. And they don't have a strong base of businesses to bolster the tax base, so it often comes down to higher taxes on individuals and property.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 11:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Immigrants usually flood to areas with a positive outlook on jobs and economic growth and security. There's a reason that these areas have very low population figures of foreign immigrants.

If manufacturing were to take off again, the number would resemble the 1880s again.
Manufacturing is dead. These Rustbelt cities are hedging their bets on hi-tech and knowledge-based industries and with that, requires skilled and educated workers.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Make your city as walkable, family friendly and affordable as you can, and the rest will fall into place.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Make your city as walkable, family friendly and affordable as you can, and the rest will fall into place.
Walkability doesn't really have much to do with it else cities like Houston, Dallas, And Atlanta wouldn't be increasing in immigrant numbers.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 4:22 AM
Never Dell

Of course it has something to do with it. But there are at least three types of booming areas:
1. Places that are cheap (and maybe a little urban, but often the worst type of suburban)
2. Places that are urban (and sometimes not overly expensive)
3. Places that dominate a booming field, with enough gravity that they keep growing

A ton of companies of all sizes are tied very much to urbanity. The likelihood of a company being in one of these categories (mostly 1 and 2) is often influenced by whether they're locating to appeal more to 30-somethings or 20-somethings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions