HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If we're also including parking garages, I recently watched an aerial tour of Minneapolis and was astonished by the size of one of the parking garages downtown. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

(google maps)
That is the mighty A (3631 spaces), B (1606 spaces) and C (1518 spaces) ramps at the eastern end of I-394. In Minneapolis, parking garages are called parking ramps. The structure to the right that you asked about is the Target Center, home of the Timberwolves.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Usually stadiums in densely built urban areas don't have a lot of parking lots.
Yeah? Other than Wrigley Field and Fenway, what major stadiums in the US aren't surrounded by parking lots???
Edit: I forgot about AT&T and Yankee Stadium.

United Center:

wikipedia

gold coast tickets

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Oh and the Kennedy Expy...

tribune

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ ugh. the united center's hole in the urban fabric of the west side is so shamefully atrocious.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 11:01 PM
Never Dell

Many urban stadiums have a little surface parking rather than 50 or 150 acres. My city is like that. There might be 1,000 spaces of surface parking onsite at our two pro stadiums.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Yeah? Other than Wrigley Field and Fenway, what major stadiums in the US aren't surrounded by parking lots???
Edit: I forgot about AT&T and Yankee Stadium.
Soldier Field, the Georgia Dome, Busch Stadium, Marlins Park, and CenturyLink Field in Seattle are some that come to mind with only a couple of smaller surface lots...they have decks and/or underground parking in addition to good public transit, but aren't sitting in a sea of parking lots. I'm sure there are probably others.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Many urban stadiums have a little surface parking rather than 50 or 150 acres. My city is like that. There might be 1,000 spaces of surface parking onsite at our two pro stadiums.
Yeah, I think there are several around the U.S. like that...what city?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 12:12 AM

Petco Park only has a small parking lot, and it has been sold to a developer that's planning on building a "ballpark village".

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Petco Park only has a small parking lot, and it has been sold to a developer that's planning on building a "ballpark village".
Another one...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 12:47 AM
E pluribus unum

Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati is bound by a freeway to the north, an arena to the east, a river to the south and urban renewal to the west, as well as a parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati is bound by a freeway to the north, an arena to the east, a river to the south and urban renewal to the west, as well as a parking garage.
Yeah I left that one off my list...I looked up an aerial of it and just forgot to list it, noting the one or two lots between the baseball park and the arena. I'm sure there are some others that have similar limited surface lots.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSaeculaSaeculorum View Post
I know dodger stadium holds lots of sentimental value for a lot of people (myself included) but look at all that valuable LAND. it really ought to be razed and a new stadium built downtown. Whether an urban mega project or making it a forest/green space would be better than what's there now. Or if they were really ambitious they could keep dodger stadium and develop the surrounding parking lot into an urban&park space, a veritable "Dodgertown" and bring light rail there.
Isn't the land in a valley at the top of a hill? I've heard that it's really isolated, which would make it less than ideal for development. Having some restaurants or retail surrounding it would be nice as far as utilizing the land goes, but if those places are physically disconnected from the rest of the city by steep hillsides, then they won't get people there unless on a game day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I never understood why they didn't build the stadium the opposite direction. Can you imagine that view?
The batter can't be looking into the afternoon/evening sun.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Wow, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves here at a skyscraper website and no one posted this picture?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

The batter can't be looking into the afternoon/evening sun.

DOH! Duh...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 5:39 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Yeah, I think there are several around the U.S. like that...what city?
Seattle. CenturyLink and Safeco are next to each other. They have garage parking for maybe 7,000 onsite, and surface parking for I'd guess 1,000 which could be 700 by summer. There are other surface lots nearby, but mostly people walk from surrounding neighborhoods, and quite a few take light rail, heavy rail, ferry, or particularly bus.

A few miles away, Husky Stadium has room for maybe 500(?) onsite and a surface lot a quarter mile north that's about 15 acres so 2,250 cars or so. The UW overall has parking for 12,300 cars in total, and there's nearly zero public parking other than that within a half mile. So the 70,000 attendees tends to mean a lot of buses and long walks. A light rail connection to Downtown (and later northward) will open in 2016 about 50 feet from the stadium.

Key Arena is in a busy neighborhood. There's a small garage and smaller surface lot next door, and others across the Seattle Center (the 62 fair grounds). The area is dotted with pay lots but they're getting mowed down by apartments.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 9:32 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I mean, downtown Detroit is not lacking surface parking by any stretch of the imagination (and that's really an understatement), and there is a lot of vacant land in the area often used for tailgating, but neither the immediate areas around Comerica Park nor Ford Field were leveled for massive surface lots. Comerica Park did bring down two or three blocks west and north of itself for some surface parking (which seemed stupid then and even more now, particularly the two lots right on the city's main street), but they are built into a corner created by a freeway interchange.

So, yeah, most stadiums built in city centers (and we're talking right downtown) aren't usually surrounded by acres-upon-acres of surface parking.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 12:52 AM
Resident Jackass

King of Prussia Mall (for Mark)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 4:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^wow that is almost bigger than East Prussia.

-rebuild the twins!

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Somewhere, I hear Joni Mitchell singing

disneyworld

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

NSA headquarters, Maryland. Keeping Murrika safe

Wikipedia

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions