HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

Haha. I know someone who bought a condo in that building that will now be facing directly into that hotel.

Forgive my laughter, but that person is a total douchebag. I'm dying ova hea.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:50 PM

It was obvious to everyone on this forum, but not sure to what degree RATR folks were sharing with prospective buyers the inevitable fact that another, taller building would be going up next door. Perhaps those units were priced accordingly? Who knows.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
It was obvious to everyone on this forum, but not sure to what degree RATR folks were sharing with prospective buyers the inevitable fact that another, taller building would be going up next door. Perhaps those units were priced accordingly? Who knows.
Have to agree here. These projects at one point were neck-and-neck about which would break ground first. It was no secret that a similarly sized building would go up on this plot. Further, RATR was specifically designed around this reality. While I bet the condo owners were hoping the other building would never rise, I don't think anyone was surprised that it did or didn't take that into account when purchasing their unit.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:38 PM

that's an awful big gamble, I'm wondering how much of a 'break' they got in the price to agree to the very real possibility of living in forever cramped & ugly darkness

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Have to agree here. These projects at one point were neck-and-neck about which would break ground first. It was no secret that a similarly sized building would go up on this plot. Further, RATR was specifically designed around this reality. While I bet the condo owners were hoping the other building would never rise, I don't think anyone was surprised that it did or didn't take that into account when purchasing their unit.
I'm still a bit down about cancellation of the Waldorf project. The RATR owners hopefully followed all of the fuss about the Center City Tower project which required the acrimonious lot owners to reach a deal and consolidate the parcels. When that failed, cheek by jowl twin towers was the inevitable outcome.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
that's an awful big gamble, I'm wondering how much of a 'break' they got in the price to agree to the very real possibility of living in forever cramped & ugly darkness
It's only two of the many floorplans that are impacted and only some of the views for those units. Most of that side of the RATR is an elevator shaft. The building was purposely designed that way with an expectation that another highrise would eventually be built adjacent.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Further, RATR was specifically designed around this reality. While I bet the condo owners were hoping the other building would never rise, I don't think anyone was surprised that it did or didn't take that into account when purchasing their unit.
Here's the floor plan, to illustrate.. The W's setback off 15th st will preserve much of the H units corner window view to the SW.
The A units loose their bedroom views, but also have livingroom SE (corner) views over the old Girard Bank. The bulk of the
south side is not part of any condo. B-G units are all unaffected.
on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:01 PM

well that's a relief for them, guess it's kind of a mirror image of the north facing side of the W with its big blank wall...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Here's the floor plan, to illustrate.. The W's setback off 15th st will preserve much of the H units corner window view to the SW.
The A units loose their bedroom views, but also have livingroom SE (corner) views over the old Girard Bank. The bulk of the
south side is not part of any condo. B-G units are all unaffected.
on Flickr
The A unit is the most affected. Windows from the hotel are directly across the way from the A unit RARC Living Room. Virtually the entire view is gone. The layout of the A unit is also a trapezoid so that at least there is an angle to the west that has a little light. The H unit above the 12th floor has a pretty clear view. During pre-construction of the RARC there were plans of the Waldorf shown to the buyers. The discount was about 15% for the southern view per sq foot. It did not seem like a reasonable offer. Today the discount is more like 35% for those selling. The larger issue for the A unit is its odd layout and wasted space more so than the view.

Regardless of whether the view is North or South the RARC was poorly constructed. It was a marketing ploy. Slap a Luxury Brand on a poorly designed and constructed building. Balfor Restoration practically is a resident here with pipes bursting regularly. The 2nd floor fitness center, lounge and media room has been shut for nearly 4 months because of a Pipe Burst smf flood in September. The Ritz Carlton/Marriott brand has not lifted a finger to help.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:08 PM

^ That's depressing. You probably get increased condo fees to add insult to injury.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:11 AM

Sorry for the zoom, but this building is looking pretty prominent from near the corner of 33rd and Chestnut!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:43 AM
Mr. Technology

You really get around, PhilliesPhan!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:55 PM

From the Avenue of the Arts and points south this building is becoming very noticeable at night. I can't wait to see the lighting scheme and the full affect of the building at night.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:08 PM

Here's a closer look at what's happening on the inside:

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:57 PM

Saturday:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:16 PM

Mr. Saturn64, you posted an image (#2623) of the W/E Hotel on December 11, 2017 that reflected an interesting angle- perspective of the building's growing height. Any consideration of an update given that I am a WPHS guy residing in Texas?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALCIII View Post
Mr. Saturn64, you posted an image (#2623) of the W/E Hotel on December 11, 2017 that reflected an interesting angle- perspective of the building's growing height. Any consideration of an update given that I am a WPHS guy residing in Texas?
If I find myself in the area any time soon, sure.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:46 PM

I'll be there tomorrow. If I remember I'll take it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
I'll be there tomorrow. If I remember I'll take it.
Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive