HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I wouldn't have thought Raleigh would be home to fast walkers and extreme traffic. Every time I've been to the Carolinas, everything and everyone seemed super slow.
Same. Everything in the south moves slower than the rest of the country, that I've seen.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Same. Everything in the south moves slower than the rest of the country, that I've seen.
To be fair, Raleigh doesn't feel like the "South". It's dominated by northern transplants. It's kind of pulling a "DC" where it's technically Southern per Census, but transplants have transformed it. And nearby Duke is mostly kids from the NE Corridor.

Isn't there some joke where Duke is really UNJ at Durham or something?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
kudos to new york and montreal for creating safer streets for pedestrians and cyclists!

i wish my city would institute a blanket ban on right on red turns. A LOT of intersections around town are already marked "no right on red", but a blanket ban would negate any confusion.
Drivers are aggressive as fuck in your city. Our Lyft driver was riding some guys ass and rammed him. Lol. All was well but that was an interesting experience.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
To be fair, Raleigh doesn't feel like the "South". It's dominated by northern transplants. It's kind of pulling a "DC" where it's technically Southern per Census, but transplants have transformed it. And nearby Duke is mostly kids from the NE Corridor.

Well, I was speaking in general terms.

My Grandmother used to live in Durham, so I went down there once a year until 2000. Maybe it's changed considerably since, but I remember being a much slower pace than NOVA/DC and further north.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 10:14 PM

It's quite easy to recognize locals here in Paris. You go down the subway or watch buses and bike lanes. That's where we are.
Provincials still drive their cars, stuck in traffic jam because they haven't understood the empirical rule of high density yet.
A car is cumbersome over here. You're often stuck in traffic, then you can't find a damn parking spot in the street; you have to go down an underground parking garage and pay for it. It is just annoying.

When I'm in shape, I beat cars on my bike over up to a 10 miles distance on rush hours. Maybe not buses or cabs, though, because they have the privilege of dedicated lanes over much of the city.

But biking Paris is an absolute delight I've been discovering again, making me feel as the good biking kid I was before any scooter or driving licence.
The city is so pretty, and convenient to bikers and little scooters since we've had all these bike lanes. Biking it feels easy.

It's not even a political thing out here. Both the right and left wings tend to drive cars away, because only density rules. It's like mere physics.
When there are many people over a same area, cars turn out to be awkward. It's that simple.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Can you tell easily who is a local and who is a tourist in your city at a glance?

When they point to 1 WTC and ask if its the Empire State Building. (Tourist)

Folks walking very fast, with ear buds, and with a catatonic face (locals).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:35 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Drivers are aggressive as fuck in your city. Our Lyft driver was riding some guys ass and rammed him. Lol. All was well but that was an interesting experience.
midwesterners are chill until they are in crowds or traffic and they start stacking bodies

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 5:18 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Cary (County) is an acronym for Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 12:44 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Here in Philly, I automatically know that someone is a tourist or transplant if they:

-Don't cross against the light and/or "jaywalk" (a term conceived to criminalize pedestrian activity).
-Don't know how to transfer between the trolleys and the El or BSL
-Call the El the "Market-Frankford Line"
-Yell "back door!" at a trolley operator
-Use the named street before the numbered street when describing an intersection (ex. "Chestnut and 16th" instead of "16th and Chestnut")
-Walk slowly through Center City
-Says "the SEPTA" (ex. "I'm going to take the SEPTA to City Hall" instead of "I'm going to take SEPTA to City Hall")
The tourists are running up the Art Museum Steps while the local looks at them saying look at the tourists running up the steps.

Also anyone in line for a cheesesteak at Pats or Geno's anytime before 10pm is tourist and anything there half smashed after midnight until 4am is a local.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
Also anyone in line for a cheesesteak at Pats or Geno's anytime before 10pm is tourist and anything there half smashed after midnight until 4am is a local.
Geno's won for us, cuz it was closer.

Ottawa is easy..Just the people milling about Parliament Hill in tourist season.
That, and the national museums..Most locals have already been to them, and may only go check out a rotating exhibit when one comes through. Tough to pick out tourists in the winter, because the canal and Winterlude draws both locals and tourists.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:08 PM

Generally not, except when you’re around major tourist sites or they are from the American Midwest.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
I have been to Geno’s smashed at 2am and I have never lived in Philly.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Speaking of this, Californians have a terrible habit of driving in the left lane. That's probably how they know I'm a tourist.
That sounds more like a Bay Area thing to me.

Oftentimes I get frustrated driving in the Bay Area; they definitely drive differently than LA drivers. San Diego drivers drive differently as well. Hell, even Inland Empire drivers; a friend of mine moved to Chino recently, and I can tell that even in the Chino/Ontario/Upland area, the people don't drive like people from LA.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I have been to Geno’s smashed at 2am and I have never lived in Philly.

pics or it didn't happen.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
In LA I can always tell someone's a tourist, not by the way they look or dress, but by the way they drive. It is SO obvious. Only locals will understand.
And it's not just tourists, but people from the outer suburbs/exurbs.

I drive/walk through Pasadena often, and Pasadena is a regional draw for people from the exurbs (as well as a big employment center in SoCal). Walking through Old Town Pasadena can be dangerous, as many drivers will just look out for other cars, but not pedestrians, something it seems people from the outer suburbs do, because they're not used to dealing with pedestrians. I've gotten into some near misses while crossing the street on a "walk" signal, with drivers who just think they can gun it and make that turn as the light turns green, or drivers turning right on the red light, looking for oncoming cars to their left, but not pedestrians who might be crossing on their right. Pasadena also has a number of one-way streets, and I've seen quite a number of drivers turn the wrong way and even go half a block or even a full block before they realize they're going the wrong way.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions