HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 3:30 AM

Austin | Union on 24th | 310 FEET | 29 FLOORS | T/O

Greystar's Union on 24th will be the second 300 footer proposed for West Campus since the zoning change late last year. The file with the elevations was posted online yesterday. But the file is corrupt and cannot be accessed. I'll update the height info when that's fixed.

Here's the location from StreetView. It's across the street from Abel's, and will have 500 residential units.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:35 PM
Meh

The site plan for this was posted to the AULCC page on the 15th. The elevations were not included there, but the site plan with the elevations were posted to the site plan page under the AWPE file.

The height shown is 310 feet, but the elevation drops another 10 feet on the northeast corner for a height of 320 feet.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=161938

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:56 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

That looks like a pretty substantial tower with some heft to it. Gonna make a pretty big impact on the West Campis Skyline.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:25 PM

Is there a building in Austin with this many units?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippi View Post
Is there a building in Austin with this many units?
Jester?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
Jester?
Ah, I hadn't thought of Jester. I can't find a unit count, but Jester East and Jester West can house over 3000 students, which is definitely more than this building. Not sure if they're considered separate buildings.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 10:31 PM

Do you know if this received demo permits? There was some equipment on site today.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Do you know if this received demo permits? There was some equipment on site today.
The site plan was approved and released today. WC is killing it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:57 PM

Backhoe is on-site.

WC stretching our skyline so nicely. Once Uptown (that’s what I like to call the area from the Capitol Complex to UT) fills in more….wow! Truly amazing time to be an Austinite.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Backhoe is on-site.

WC stretching our skyline so nicely. Once Uptown (that’s what I like to call the area from the Capitol Complex to UT) fills in more….wow! Truly amazing time to be an Austinite.
And just think of what WC would be doing if the height were not capped in that area.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
And just think of what WC would be doing if the height were not capped in that area.
It would still be parking lots, 2 story condo buildings from 1980, and students bussed in from Riverside and FW.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
It would still be parking lots, 2 story condo buildings from 1980, and students bussed in from Riverside and FW.
I don't understand this response. The number of buildings going up would likely not be much different. At any rate, I was just pointing out that some of the buildings that are going up would likely have more height and be contributing more to the northward stretch of the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I don't understand this response. The number of buildings going up would likely not be much different. At any rate, I was just pointing out that some of the buildings that are going up would likely have more height and be contributing more to the northward stretch of the skyline.
I think he read your comment as being the opposite of what you said. It would make sense that way.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:50 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Backhoe is on-site.

But 11th to MLK is downtown.

If anywhere in Austin were to eventually be called Uptown I believe the North Burnet/Gateway area is it.

I know calling the Domain "second downtown" is stupid, but as the area including Broadmoor builds up it will fit the traditional definition of an uptown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:53 PM
Resident Moron

Pretty crazy that 20 years ago this building would have made an impact downtown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
But 11th to MLK is downtown.

If anywhere in Austin were to eventually be called Uptown I believe the North Burnet/Gateway area is it.

I know calling the Domain "second downtown" is stupid, but as the area including Broadmoor builds up it will fit the traditional definition of an uptown.
Totally agree about all of this - even if the northern quadrants aren't as developed as the southern and lakefront, they are within the official confines of downtown (as defined by the city) and I'm cautiously optimistic that future development will make it feel more cohesive from CC to MLK. In my mind the area also isn't geographically or economically distinct enough either from the rest of downtown other than current density. Especially if the council scraps FAR, then you could see much taller towers in generally shorter areas in the near future.

Dreaming now, but would be amazing to see some of the central areas from north campus to Airport eventually become our Midtown! And North-Burnet is totally on the way to becoming our Uptown in my opinion - an economic, geographic and demographic center of its own.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyvilleJ-Rad View Post
Totally agree about all of this - even if the northern quadrants aren't as developed as the southern and lakefront, they are within the official confines of downtown (as defined by the city) and I'm cautiously optimistic that future development will make it feel more cohesive from CC to MLK. In my mind the area also isn't geographically or economically distinct enough either from the rest of downtown other than current density. Especially if the council scraps FAR, then you could see much taller towers in generally shorter areas in the near future.

Dreaming now, but would be amazing to see some of the central areas from north campus to Airport eventually become our Midtown!
Agreed - the cluster around the Triangle is decently impactful when viewed from afar...imagine that area becoming the centerpiece of "midtown" with taller towers and more density in the surrounding neighborhoods

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 12:01 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Agreed - the cluster around the Triangle is decently impactful when viewed from afar...imagine that area becoming the centerpiece of "midtown" with taller towers and more density in the surrounding neighborhoods
I hope to be alive to see an Austin where other central city neighborhoods are allowed to redevelop similarly to West Campus, but not geared to students.

Imagine the areas near our future light rail stations with dozens of towers in a 1/4 mile radius of them filled with apartments, condos, offices, stores, and restaurants.

I can envision this Austin, and the only thing stopping it is the land code. West Campus shows us what can be done in Austin. It, downtown, and the VMUs which have sprouted up all over town the last 20 years show there is a market for urban living in this city.

It's time to take the next step, and stop letting folks hold this city back. Your bungalow 2 miles from the Capitol is not that special. Sorry, but protecting vast swaths of million dollar SFHs in the middle of a city with a million people through restrictive zoning is why Austin has become ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by Lobotomizer; Aug 19, 2021 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 12:38 AM
Love Austin

All we have to do is stop electing NIMBYs. If we had a super majority, 9 of 11 council members, who were unapologetically pro housing/pro Austin our TODs could be zoned for TODs. We'd stop pretending protecting single family zoning only affordable to the top ~10% of income earns should be our most pressing concern drowning out all our stated community goals. We'd get rid of parking requirements that encourage automobile use and drive up the cost of construction. Remember, districts 3, 5, 9 and the Mayor are all termed out next year. Get involved! Let's elect some good people. The city can really start to move the ball on our most critical needs once Ann Kitchen and Kathie Tovo are gone. It's critical that neither become Mayor and that we elect a real leader who wants housing for all!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 12:41 AM

Who are those "good people" though? I think a lot of people don't get involved because these "good people" aren't very well known, if they're around, and they just kinda lose hope with the folks there now. It can be demoralizing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin