HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:48 PM

The entrance canopy (the glass facade with TV screen) and the traffic turn around are set to start next week. So far Cobo is 90% done with renovation and construction.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...town/15817071/

Even so, event bookings have already increased this summer with more expected next year.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...ecent-History/

Also I guess I forgot to post these in this thread, but pictures are from April 2014.

The traffic turnaround is going to be on the left side of this picture.

Last edited by animatedmartian; Sep 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 PM
Detroit Love

Excited to see these final parts of the renovation coming together. It's amazing just how far this place has come in the last few years.

It's almost jaw dropping the before shot from the same spot compared to above.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:35 AM

The new atrium is particularly impressive! It's a much needed renovation overall, excited to see the electronic screen. More buildings around Cobo could use the same treatment.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 12:22 PM

I wish they would do something like this with Joe Louis. This is an amazing renovation.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 2:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

omg like i said above i have every freakin second of these two classic live cobo hall records completely memorized -

mention cobo hall and i go off --

"gonna tell my tale
come on
come on
give a listen
i was so lonely
down by the riverside
learned to spin the fortune wheel
roll the dice
i was just 13 knew i had to leave home
knew i couldn't stick around
i had to roam
aint good lookin
but you know i aint shy
aint afraid of looking girl
in your eye
and if you need some lovin
and you need it right away
take a little time and
maybe i'll stay
lord i got ramble rambling man
oh i got to gamble gambling man
lord i got ramble ramblin man
cause i was born a ramblin gamblin man…"

bob seger - live bullet

"deeetroooittt breakdown!!"

j. geils band - blow your face out

-- somebody stop me i'm like cartman with 'come sail away' on southpark !

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:01 AM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
omg like i said above i have every freakin second of these two classic live cobo hall records completely memorized -

mention cobo hall and i go off --

-- somebody stop me i'm like cartman with 'come sail away' on southpark !
Well you'll probably their love this their doing a documentary.

Detroit's 'The Legendary Cobo' documentary to be released in 2015, feature stars who made it roar

Detroit's Cobo Arena, a 12,000-seat venue that was attached to Cobo Center, is the focus of a new documentary to be released in 2015 expected to showcase its rich, unforgettable history.

Not only will "The Legendary Cobo" focus on the arena's music and sporting events, but also the impact it had on culture in the U.S. and abroad, said Jake Hall, one of the documentary's co-creators.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...l#incart_river

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 12:48 PM

Being a 90s kid, I never knew Cobo Arena was that big of a deal. Most concerts and whatnot all took place at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Being a 90s kid, I never knew Cobo Arena was that big of a deal. Most concerts and whatnot all took place at the Palace of Auburn Hills.
Ditto.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:15 PM

Video wall on Washington and Congress finished just the other day and is currently being tested.

Video of it in action. A similar but larger video wall is expected to be put across the main entrance at Washington and Jefferson.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 1:00 AM

I didn't realize they were also putting a video wall on the corner here; it looks really nice though. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:21 PM

Cobo's video screen main entrance is just about ready for glass. Photo via DYes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:48 PM

Officially, this area is being called Cobo Square. Photo from mid December.

https://twitter.com/cobocenter/statu...398912/photo/1

The big Auto Show starts January 17th when everything is really set to be shown off.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 9:49 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Cobo Center gets ready to show off

When visitors to the North American International Auto Show arrive this month, they'll see a lot of changes in Cobo Center as Detroit's convention center goes through the finishing touches of its multiyear, $279-million expansion and upgrade.

Cobo — with its new spacious and open look and expansive view of the riverfront — has already been winning new convention and meeting business compared with previous years.

"The restoration and reinvention of Cobo Center has put Detroit back into the mix for meeting and convention planners worldwide," said Patrick Bero, CEO and chief financial officer of the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority.

Cobo renovations since the last North American International Auto Show

■ Streetscape improvements in front of Cobo will be completed, although landscaping will wait until weather permits.

■ Huge video screen coming: A concrete base and steel superstructure that will support a giant video display on the front of Cobo facing Jefferson are complete. Installation of the glass panel canopy and the 6,253-square-foot digital video display will be completed by next June 30.

■ North entrance: A new north entrance along Congress is finished. It includes two large video displays on the corner — one facing north up Washington Boulevard and the other facing east along Congress. The video displays each have a viewable area of 1,382 square feet.

■ Meeting rooms: Two levels of meeting rooms and two new smaller ballrooms on the south side along the Detroit River are ready for use. There also is a new Atwater Lounge area on Level 1 adjacent to the Atrium.

■ Michigan Hall has been renovated and integrated with the Atrium and has a new glass-enclosed prefunction area.

■ New carpeting has been installed in more areas, and more meeting rooms on Levels 3 and 4 have been renovated
http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...show/21168403/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:22 PM

Main video wall is finished and running. It's surprisingly clear and readable without being obnoxiously bright. What is looking bright is Cobo's future and the eventually spin-off of increased business downtown.

Video Link

Quote:
Convention of convention organizers coming to Detroit

Thom Connors and his team are gearing up to host the granddaddy of all conventions – the American Society of Association Executives.

Nearly 6,000 influential executives who run organizations and have conventions and meetings to bring to cities like Detroit will descend upon Detroit starting Aug. 8 for a three-day look around.

They’ll check out the recently completed $299-million renovations at Cobo, which Connors has overseen as general manager of the facility. And they will be looking at other places and things to do around Detroit that might also serve as a lure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development