HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 7:08 AM

Photo update from John Martin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

I don't think it looks like a parking garage.
Quote:

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 9:19 PM

Those are some great pictures.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 10:19 AM
Everywhere all at once

I constantly cannot believe the amount of detail going into this project. This is really going to set up a downtown that you Salt Lakers will be able to take great pride in.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 10:29 PM
Brooklyn, New York

I cannot really tell from the pictures so percentage wise how far done is the city creek center. The video and renderings are very beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 1:18 PM

Well the entirety of it should be open by 2012, so there's still a bit less than 2 years left. Some things are already open, such as a couple of condo buildings and a food court. The condo towers, apartments, and grocery store will be open by 2011.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:49 PM
BROOKLYN

This is such gorgeous huge project that I am very happy about. I cannot believe this went unnoticed to me. I think might just visit Salt Lake City just for this.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 9:17 AM

Obey, it's very impressive in person

More pics:

Quote:

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 12:13 PM

Incredible shots from H4vok:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post

View Larger Pics ...with crappy Flickr compression

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 12:45 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

awesome project, should be a template for downtown redevelopment across the country!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 3:19 PM

agree. Holy crap what a development. I'm very jealous as a North Jersey/Newark-Union MSA resident.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 10:01 AM

I'm thoroughly impressed as well with all the thought and input that is going into this development. It could have just been another mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Regent high-rise on track to open up in mid-2011

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-mid-2011.html

...After two years of steady progress, in less than a year from now, knock on steel, The Regent should be home to downtown dwellers in 150 condo units, providing they sell them all, which is looking more and more probable...

Steve Bennett, Jacobsen Construction's site superintendent, gives a tour of one of the Regent at City Creek condominiums in downtown Salt Lake City. (Michael Brandy, Deseret News)

...Dale Bills, a City Creek spokesperson and one of the men wearing a hard hat in the penthouse, reports that The Regent already has 90 reservations for its 150 units — and that's not just talk. Those reservations include $7,500 deposits. The deposits are fully refundable, it's true, but, still, 90 customers are serious enough about living at The Regent that they've tied up $7,500 during an economic downturn when the project is nearly a year out.

Through the block, at the just-completed 90-unit Richards Court condos, Bills reports that 14 units have closed and 13 more are under contract — almost 30 percent capacity.

And next to that, the 185-unit, 30-story Promontory Tower hasn't even started taking reservations, and already people have put their names on what Bills terms an "interest list."

You never know, once the condos are finished, they could be as busy as when they were being built...

The Regent condominiums are scheduled to be completed in mid-2011 and will include 150 housing units. Ninety are already reserved by potential residents. (Michael Brandy, Deseret News)

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 11:18 AM

Some pictures from a recent KSL article:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12666830

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 4:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

I usually cant stand anything the LDS church does but since they funded this project and take pride in their downtown, well, I guess I can respect them a little for that. This project is absolutely amazing, and is way way better than the crap it replaced. I havent been to SLC since 2000, its completely changed for the better. I cant believe that its 20 acres and the level of detail in some of the construction is above anything you see in more American cities today. Absolutely fascinating.

I understand that the building with the columns was the historic Neiman Marcus or something like that of which they torn down and are now putting back together the historic facade. Were there any other historic buildings torn down for this project?

I was trying to find what stood at this site but couldnt find much except this.

Video Link

Last edited by photoLith; Oct 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 5:03 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I usually cant stand anything the LDS
I understand that the building with the columns was the historic Neiman Marcus or something like that of which they torn down and are now putting back together the historic facade. Were there any other historic buildings torn down for this project?
The old historical facade that is being installed over the front of the new City Creek Center Macy's entrance on Main Street is a historical monument to America's first department store, ZCMI.

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zions_C...le_Institution

Quote:
Zions Cooperative Mercantile Institution was founded in 1868, by Brigham Young and was one of the earliest department stores in the United States. For many years, it used the slogan, "America's First Department Store".

Even though the Latter-day Saints had lived in the Salt Lake area for some 20 years by that time, they were despised by the surrounding community, as Young had disparaged non-Mormon merchants and encouraged these businesses to be boycotted in 1866.[1] Price gouging was commonplace as non-Mormons raised prices on necessary goods for Mormon patrons. Even Mormon business owners found themselves being charged higher prices by wholesalers who discovered they were dealing with Mormons. Partly because of the impending completion of the railroad, and partly to create a more fair business atmosphere, it was Brigham Young's idea to encourage Mormon businesses to band together under one roof. By pooling their resources, they were able to make larger orders to sell materials and goods exclusively (at the time) to fellow LDS members. Even wholesalers who disliked the idea of doing business with Mormons could see a good thing; larger orders meant bigger profits and making their prices competitive allowed the Mormon businessmen to increase the size and frequency of their orders. Although it was always called Zions Cooperative Mercantile Institution, it was the passing of time that finally caused all those independent businesses to meld into what truly became, "America's First Department Store".

ZCMI became a formidable business force, eventually manufacturing its own line of boots and shoes, and a line of work clothes. It also sold everything from housing needs, lumber, nails, and the like, to household needs such as fabric, needles, thread, food preservation products, furniture, and draperies, even some beauty products; nearly everything the pioneers needed to survive and thrive.[2]

Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, it quickly became a household name in the community. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was a significant influence in the company, retaining a majority interest in ZCMI until its eventual sale. The store was established by a vote from the Council of Fifty, an early organization in the LDS church.

In December 1999, as a result of negative profit results for two consecutive years along with mounting economic and social pressures, ZCMI was sold to the May Department Stores Company (now Macy's, Inc.). ZCMI operated under its original name as a part of May's Portland, Oregon-based Meier & Frank division until April 2002, when the stores adopted the Meier & Frank name. In addition to the name change, the stores in Logan, St. George, Idaho Falls, and Pocatello were sold to Dillard's. By August 2002, the stores were further consolidated within May into the company's Los Angeles, California division, Robinsons-May, though retaining the Meier & Frank nameplate.

The front facade of the ZCMI is being prepared to be reincorporated into the new City Creek Center as of May 2010, retaining the original ZCMI nameplate as a front for Macy's.

Here is a rendering of how it will look when finished in the new City Creek Center development.

Though, it now looks like the facade will end up in a more ornate green and cream color combination with gold colored accents judging by some of the images posted by John Martin. Both the brown and the green color schemes look equally stunning to me.
Quote:

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Oct 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post

I was trying to find what stood at this site but couldnt find much except this.
Well...the building being demolished in that video is what stood there. Unless you meant somewhere else? The only other historic building that was really torn down for this project was the 'Inn at Temple Square': (and you can also see the white key bank building that you asked about just behind it in the first picture)

SLC Projects

The Promontory condo building replaced it:

Wayfarer

The rest was basically just the old suburban-ish mall

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 6:00 PM

Man, this project has made quite a bit of progress since I last checked. That center circular court is quite amazing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 9:16 AM

Mall portion with roof being tested

(c) user4923

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 8:03 AM

Downtown units selling as S.L. facelift progresses

By Molly Farmer
Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — About 30 of the condo units in Promontory Tower, a high rise residential building that's part of the City Creek development, have been sold since being put on the market about two months ago.

Mark Gibbons, president of City Creek Reserve, said a third of the units in the Richards Court development have sold, and another 90 of 150 units in a building under construction have "reservation agreements" in place.

Deseret News

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
BANNED

I'd like to visit this beautiful city!

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:40 PM

This reminds me a bit of the Sony Center in Berlin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development