HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Why is everything white marble? would it kill them to use some warm materials?
According to renderings such as this one they will be using other colors and materials too (with some artwork), which should give it a somewhat more welcoming feeling. Compare that to the original twin towers lobby which was almost entirely white.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 1:26 PM
BANNED

What exactly is within the 19-floor base? Is it purely building core? I can't imagine why they wouldn't try to squeeze some useable space out of it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
What exactly is within the 19-floor base? Is it purely building core? I can't imagine why they wouldn't try to squeeze some useable space out of it.
The base houses the tower's Hydrogen Fuel Cells, which if I'm not mistaken,will provide about 1/3 of the building's energy. It will also provide ventilation, chillers, and mechanical needs for the building's core.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
The base houses the tower's Hydrogen Fuel Cells, which if I'm not mistaken,will provide about 1/3 of the building's energy. It will also provide ventilation, chillers, and mechanical needs for the building's core.
Then why not just call them mechanical floors? I guess having 32 mechanical floors would raise some eyebrows

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Then why not just call them mechanical floors? I guess having 32 mechanical floors would raise some eyebrows
Yeah, this building does a pretty amazing job of hiding the fact that it's a concrete and steal fortress. There's no safer place in the city IMO other than maybe 33 Thomas Street, which was designed to reamin functional for up to a month after an nuclear attack.

1WTC also accomplishes Libeskind's original intent of making the buildings lower and safer, except without compromising height/bulk. The two places where people would be most vulnerable to a terrorist attack are (conveniently) occupied by mechanical floors. The base mechanical floors protect against car/briefcase bombs and the upper mechanical floors protect against an attack by aircraft.

But in all likelyhood, I doubt we'll ever see a 9-11 style attack ever again, nor is it likely that a car packed with explosives could ever get close enough to Tower 1 to do any substantial damage due to the added street level safety features. I mean someone could detonate from West St., but the tower is too far away and too well-engineered; it would be like kicking a giant in the shins. Not gonna work.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 11:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4219670.html

Council On Tall Buildings To Decide Whether Willis Tower Or One World Trade Center Is U.S.'s Loftiest

11/05/2013

Quote:
It's a tale of two towers.

One, a giant of the Midwest that stood as the nation's tallest building for 39 years; the other, a resurrection that stands in the place of two former heavyweights of height.

And officials can't agree which building is taller.

The call on whether One World Trade Center in New York City or the Sears Willis Tower in Chicago is the tallest building in America now hinges on a technicality.

According to the Tribune, the height committee of The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat is set to decide whether One World Trade Center's mast should be considered a spire or a broadcast antenna; if the council rules it a spire, that would put the skyscraper's official height about 325 feet taller than the Willis.

"We want to get the communication of that (discussion) and the decision of the committee correct," Antony Wood, the council's executive director, said Monday. The council was supposed to issue a ruling Friday but hit a delay; it did not disclose an exact date for the ruling.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
[url]http://vimeo.com/77719213[/url

Ignore the inaccuracies...
How are you suppose to know what's inaccurate? The roof height and observation deck heights are so obviously wrong, why would anyone take the other numbers to be anything like accurate?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 11:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
How are you suppose to know what's inaccurate? The roof height and observation deck heights are so obviously wrong, why would anyone take the other numbers to be anything like accurate?
There are more than numbers on that graphic.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:33 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Wasn't this building originally stated to be 200' x 200'? According to that graph, the dimensions should be 215.418197931' x 215.418197931'.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 3:32 PM

Hey NYguy, The building's roofheight is 406 meters, isn't it? But the old 1 wtc's was 417 meters. How is its roofheight officially the same as former's?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscrapercitirocks View Post
Hey NYguy, The building's roofheight is 406 meters, isn't it? But the old 1 wtc's was 417 meters. How is its roofheight officially the same as former's?
Nope. This buildings roof height is 417 just like the former 1WTC.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 6:19 PM

417m is the height to the parapet which is considered to be roof height

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 8:04 PM

There is talk on SSC about a possible permanent turning on of the lights on top tonight.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:16 PM

Technically, the "roof" aka 105th floor is at 1,334' 8" (406.88 meters). The parapet is at 1,368'. You can't physically stand on the parapet unless you want to practice gymnastics on the beams but that is what makes it the height of the original North Tower.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
There is talk on SSC about a possible permanent turning on of the lights on top tonight.
so the earthcam is not working aging....

anybody know of another web cam ?????????????????????

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:26 PM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Can you give some proof?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:28 PM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
so the earthcam is not working aging....

anybody know of another web cam ?????????????????????
That's probably a hint something is going on.

And here is a link to the NyHarborWebcam - http://nyharborwebcam.com/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Can you give some proof?
On SSC go to page #2570 post #51382

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
I love NY!

Use the Statue of Liberty Harbor live cam on Earthcam.

The other harbor cam sometimes changes positions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive