HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:11 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
We become toddlers wondering where our juice boxes are.
How did I not know about juice boxes? Come guys, I know I'm still kinda new, but you gotta tell me these things...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:29 AM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:27 PM

This post on the proposed Independent Condo's Facebook page alludes to more announcements of businesses moving to area soon. I assume they know details about the speculated facebook move to Greenwater.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
This post on the proposed Independent Condo's Facebook page alludes to more announcements of businesses moving to area soon. I assume they know details about the speculated facebook move to Greenwater.

They obviously know about a pending announcement(s). But based on their previous posts, their definition of the Independent's neighborhood is broader than just Seaholm and Green Water. Shoal Creek Walk would be in the 'hood. They could also be referring to tenants other than Google in 500 W. 2nd St. Google is only taking around half of the space in that building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 5:36 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible this could be commercial. It goes against the master plan, but I'd think demand would determine the end product.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 5:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 10:23 PM
World Traveler

That certainly makes sense. And to have a really cool (maybe supertall? ) office tower on the lake would be nice.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 12:07 AM

How many feet classifies a building as a "supertall?"

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 12:27 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
How many feet classifies a building as a "supertall?"
I doubt very much that they meant this building would be a supertall, especially considering its location being so close to the river. I think they meant more like "really tall".

At SkyscraperPage anyway, the definition of a supertall is 984 feet/300 meters or taller. There are only two other buildings in Texas taller than that, and both are in Houston.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:02 AM

So if Facebook moves to Block 185 and it will be caddy-cornered by Google, right across the bridge from Athenahealth... should this area be nicknamed Techond Street?

See what I did there?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:25 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
So if Facebook moves to Block 185 and it will be caddy-cornered by Google, right across the bridge from Athenahealth... should this area be nicknamed Techond Street?

See what I did there?
Yes...I'm sorry, do you have a lisp?

JK!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I doubt very much that they meant this building would be a supertall, especially considering its location being so close to the river. I think they meant more like "really tall".

At SkyscraperPage anyway, the definition of a supertall is 984 feet/300 meters or taller. There are only two other buildings in Texas taller than that, and both are in Houston.
Where did you guys see this "super tall" description. Is this one no longer slated to be residential?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Where did you guys see this "super tall" description. Is this one no longer slated to be residential?
You'll have to go to the last page of the update thread for the proper context of that remark.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:39 AM
World Traveler

My remark on the subject was a joke - I was referring to Syndic's friend calling it a "supertall" as opposed to a super tall tower, whatever that means (it's all subjective, I suppose...I'm only 5'9" so a lot of things are super tall in my book).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
You'll have to go to the last page of the update thread for the proper context of that remark.
Just read through it. Thanks. If the architect used the phrase "super tall" I could see this one being over 500'. I've always thought it was strange that renderings were never released for Block 185, so this makes sense. I'm in the camp that residential supply needs to be countered with office development to fulfill the demand by generating employees who want to live downtown. If Facebook is "spending a lot of money" on this, then I'd think it would be on the taller side. Would be very excited if this was a thin, and sleek tower that rose to around 700'

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Just read through it. Thanks. If the architect used the phrase "super tall" I could see this one being over 500'. I've always thought it was strange that renderings were never released for Block 185, so this makes sense. I'm in the camp that residential supply needs to be countered with office development to fulfill the demand by generating employees who want to live downtown. If Facebook is "spending a lot of money" on this, then I'd think it would be on the taller side. Would be very excited if this was a thin, and sleek tower that rose to around 700'
What if any height restrictions are there for the site? Man Facebook could seriously change the dynamics of DT if they built a 700+ signature tower. They could go big and lease out floors they currently don't need.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
What if any height restrictions are there for the site? Man Facebook could seriously change the dynamics of DT if they built a 700+ signature tower. They could go big and lease out floors they currently don't need.
Not to mention poking Google and 'Google Tower' in the eye by going taller.

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Apr 21, 2015 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:17 PM

Not to rain on the 700 ft. parade, but the height is limited the same way Austin proper was due to proximity to shoal creek. Maybe if they somehow got a variance, but I wouldn't count on it.

See Page 3 for diagram.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:29 PM

Actually, the property is subject to multiple restrictions because it is fronts town lake (like North Shore apt.) and shoal creek (like Proper), so it must follow the 70 degree rule on both West and South sides of the property. Therefore any height would be restricted to a sliver in the NE corner.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:04 PM
Member since 2001

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Apr 22, 2015 at 6:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin