HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
You mean they opened in February 2020 (NOT Jan 2024), but permanently closed in the pandemic.

https://www.inquirer.com/food/philad...-20200805.html
—quote—
Note: The Chestnut Diner, which opened in February [2020] across from Liberty Place at 1614 Chestnut St., has closed permanently.

And here’s Michael Klein’s Feb 2020 Inky piece written the week Chestnut Diner opened:Center City’s new Chestnut Diner has 24-hour aspirations
Thank you for that, not sure what I was smoking that evening.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Just speaking about afterhours places, definitely noticed that change. But I always tied that to shifting trends as beer gardens became the predominant 20-30 year old activity, instead of nightlife and clubbing. I see that starting to change now. Mega-clubs are rising in popularity again and there are several underground trance/techno clubs and circuit parties in Philly that go way past 2am now.
IMO, the underground clubs/parties are Philly's best kept secret. Bonus - if you make it until sunrise, some diners open at 6AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
Where?! Seriously though, don't gatekeep, I wanna go!
If you want to find them, you'll find them. The clues are hidden in plain sight

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
IMO, the underground clubs/parties are Philly's best kept secret. Bonus - if you make it until sunrise, some diners open at 6AM.

If you want to find them, you'll find them. The clues are hidden in plain sight
lol. The only one I know of is Milkboy on Chestnut. But they cater to the late night nurse/doc scene.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 1:26 PM
Chris

Someone from Philadelphia Magazine must read this forum. The magazine has a new series of stories called "The Optimist Guide to Philadelphia", detailing positive trends and metrics in the city, such as the below article...

Philadelphia’s Unemployment Rate Drops to Lowest in 30 Years
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2024/...nt-pew-report/

Also, Pew's latest report is out, and while plenty of issues need work (notably the opioid crisis), economic trends are extremely positive. Poverty rate continue to fall, incomes continue to rise, residents with college degrees continues to rise, etc. A lot of interesting charts throughout. Maybe this news will silence a few social media trolls (wishful thinking).

Philadelphia 2024 State of the City
https://www.pewtrusts.org/-/media/as...f-the-city.pdf

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Apr 17, 2024 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Someone from Philadelphia Magazine must read this this forum. The magazine has a new series of stories called "The Optimist Guide to Philadelphia", detailing positive trends and metrics in the city, such as the below article...

Philadelphia’s Unemployment Rate Drops to Lowest in 30 Years
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2024/...nt-pew-report/

Also, Pew's latest report is out, and while plenty of issues need work (notably the opioid crisis), economic trends are extremely positive. Poverty rate continue to fall, incomes continue to rise, residents with college degrees continues to rise, etc. A lot of interesting charts throughout. Maybe this news will silence a few social media trolls (wishful thinking).

Philadelphia 2024 State of the City
https://www.pewtrusts.org/-/media/as...f-the-city.pdf
I read in great detail (the Pew report) and was pleasantly surprised to see (any) Philadelphia media outlet report on it positively. Among the most interesting tidbits is that poverty in Philadelphia has dropped to 21.7% from a high of 26.9% in 2012. I'm not sure where that leaves us in the notable top ten poorest cities race but I have to think we might not be first anymore. Also notable in this survey is that household income in Philadelphia has surpassed Baltimore and we're nipping on the heals of Houston TX now.

It should also be noted that 24.1% of Houston residents lack healthcare compared to 6.8% in Philadelphia. Yay Texas!

Also notable in this report is how high Pittsburgh ranks on many of these metrics (positively). Good for Pittsburgh. Could we see a time when Pittsburgh's cool factor ranks up there with the Austin's or even Minneapolis's of the world? Lots of things going in its favor.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I read in great detail (the Pew report) and was pleasantly surprised to see (any) Philadelphia media outlet report on it positively. Among the most interesting tidbits is that poverty in Philadelphia has dropped to 21.7% from a high of 26.9% in 2012. I'm not sure where that leaves us in the notable top ten poorest cities race but I have to think we might not be first anymore. Also notable in this survey is that household income in Philadelphia has surpassed Baltimore and we're nipping on the heals of Houston TX now.

It should also be noted that 24.1% of Houston residents lack healthcare compared to 6.8% in Philadelphia. Yay Texas!

Also notable in this report is how high Pittsburgh ranks on many of these metrics (positively). Good for Pittsburgh. Could we see a time when Pittsburgh's cool factor ranks up there with the Austin's or even Minneapolis's of the world? Lots of things going in its favor.
Does anyone know what the poverty level line is that they are using for these reports?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:

If Pittsburgh had better public transit I'd consider living there. It's such a cool idea of a city (but a little poorly executed, imo). Some improvements to the light rail, more Amtrak (and some commuter rail), and some better pedestrian experiences could go a long way.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
If Pittsburgh had better public transit I'd consider living there. It's such a cool idea of a city (but a little poorly executed, imo). Some improvements to the light rail, more Amtrak (and some commuter rail), and some better pedestrian experiences could go a long way.
Pittsburgh is such an interesting city to me. I went to law school in St Louis and Pittsburgh is so similar. I always assumed it was similar to Philadelphia but it's a completely different city. Very much a midwestern city.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
Does anyone know what the poverty level line is that they are using for these reports?
It's in the fine print. It's from the American Community Survey.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:11 PM

Strange that Pittsburgh was one of the few major cities to lose population in the 2020 census. They've now lost population in 7 consecutive censuses. I would have expected with the tech boom going on there that there would be a population bump.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Strange that Pittsburgh was one of the few major cities to lose population in the 2020 census. They've now lost population in 7 consecutive censuses. I would have expected with the tech boom going on there that there would be a population bump.
Allegheny County gained population. People just don't want to live in city limits for a myriad of reasons.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Pittsburgh is such an interesting city to me. I went to law school in St Louis and Pittsburgh is so similar. I always assumed it was similar to Philadelphia but it's a completely different city. Very much a midwestern city.
I’ve always felt PA and even Philly to some degree have a more Midwestern vibe than most places on the East Coast. You can really see it in some of the burbs and rural collar counties. Hard to explain but people Lancaster County etc seem closer to Midwesterners than New Yorkers or New Englanders. Might have something up do with PA and the Midwest being more Germanic.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Apr 17, 2024 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:18 PM

Also notable in the report is that household formation continues to increase from 660,921 in 2022 to 695,320 in 2023 (in increase of nearly 35,000 households in ONE year) but somehow population continues to plummet (i.e. I don't believe the statistics on population drop). There would also have to be a plummeting number in average household size year over year which I simply don't believe.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Also notable in the report is that household formation continues to increase from 660,921 in 2022 to 695,320 in 2023 (in increase of nearly 35,000 households in ONE year) but somehow population continues to plummet (i.e. I don't believe the statistics on population drop). There would also have to be a plummeting number in average household size year over year which I simply don't believe.
I don't get how reputable orgs like Pew can continue to put out these garbage numbers from the Census estimates when their own data suggests that it is factually incorrect.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’ve always felt PA and even Philly to some degree have a more Midwestern vibe than most places on the East Coast. You can really see it in the the burbs and rural collar counties. Hard to explain but people in Delco, Lancaster County etc seem closer to Midwesterners than New Yorkers or New Englanders. Might have something up do with PA and the Midwest being more Germanic.
This is a bonkers comparison. You think Delco natives have more in common with Midwesterners than New Yorkers? That's absurd. Delco, and the Philly suburbs generally, are white ethnic enclaves historically. i.e. catholic, jewish, etc. That is the opposite of white milquetoast ethnic origins of most Midwesterners (Chicago excluded). And it is precisely what aligns us with the NE corridor (culturally) as opposed to areas further inland.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
... Could we see a time when Pittsburgh's cool factor ranks up there with the Austin's or even Minneapolis's of the world? Lots of things going in its favor.
Now you're stretching it. lol

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’ve always felt PA and even Philly to some degree have a more Midwestern vibe than most places on the East Coast. You can really see it in the the burbs and rural collar counties. Hard to explain but people in Delco, Lancaster County etc seem closer to Midwesterners than New Yorkers or New Englanders. Might have something up do with PA and the Midwest being more Germanic.

Having temporarily left Delco to attend university in the midwest (in the northern part of Indiana), and spent a few of my elementary school years in Lancaster County, I can't really agree with this. If there was any comparison in my mind, it was the other way around. Rural Wisconsin, with its German immigrant heritage and rolling hills, reminded a bit of rural Pennsylvania, as did a small area Amish area in Indiana just south of campus. The ethnic and Catholic vibe in Chicago and other cities reminded me a bit of the northeast, but still had a different flavor. Nowhere else have I been so easily identified as an outsider, with many specifically identifying me as a Philadelphian.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
This is a bonkers comparison. You think Delco natives have more in common with Midwesterners than New Yorkers? That's absurd. Delco, and the Philly suburbs generally, are white ethnic enclaves historically. i.e. catholic, jewish, etc. That is the opposite of white milquetoast ethnic origins of most Midwesterners (Chicago excluded). And it is precisely what aligns us with the NE corridor (culturally) as opposed to areas further inland.
I think you’re focusing too much on Delco and disregarding everything else I said. If you look at ethnic maps of the US, PA is more ethnically German while New York State and New England tend to have English, Irish, Italian majorities.

Also, I’m not sure what you’re talking about - the Main Line etc was notoriously an upper class Protestant enclave (Philadelphia Story) with a few exceptions.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Having temporarily left Delco to attend university in the midwest (in the northern part of Indiana), and spent a few of my elementary school years in Lancaster County, I can't really agree with this. If there was any comparison in my mind, it was the other way around. Rural Wisconsin, with its German immigrant heritage and rolling hills, reminded a bit of rural Pennsylvania, as did a small area Amish area in Indiana just south of campus. The ethnic and Catholic vibe in Chicago and other cities reminded me a bit of the northeast, but still had a different flavor. Nowhere else have I been so easily identified as an outsider, with many specifically identifying me as a Philadelphian.
Ditto. I lived in Detroit for several years and had a similar experience. Midwest people are great but are culturally and socially very different than Philadelphians, drastically so IMO.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I spent some time in Lancaster County, particularly Lititz, last fall. Putting geography aside, the people there reminded me more of the folks I grew up with in Nebraska vs that of a small town in New England or New York. Again central PA is just heavily Germanic according to most demographic maps so I don’t think my views are necessarily unfounded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development