HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
This is a strategy the PC's will employ. They will not campaign at all against the Liberals and force the NDP to campaign vs both in a lot of city ridings. They need the Liberals to gain several Winnipeg seats to have any chance to form a government.
in that case go Liberals Go! as an FYI Liberal leader Dougald just moved into a house in Norwood Flats this month, so he actually finally lives in the constituency that he represents.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 1:41 PM

that horrible heartless Conservative leader at it again (sarcasm font)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lies-1.6691443

The province is spending $3 million on a grant to Harvest Manitoba to alleviate food insecurity

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
that horrible heartless Conservative leader at it again (sarcasm font)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lies-1.6691443

The province is spending $3 million on a grant to Harvest Manitoba to alleviate food insecurity
There's no doubt the money is needed, but I doubt it suddenly means the Conservative hearts just grew three times this day.

If the recent polls are accurate, the Conservatives trail the NDP by 11 points.

https://probe-research.com/polls/ndp...r-2022-omnibus

Personally I don't see the basic philosophy of the Conservative party suddenly changing to care much about social issues, I just see a party well behind in the polls trying all they can to try to win the upcoming election.

Of course, I'd be delighted if I was wrong, but to do that I'd have to see the Conservatives in power with a majority in the legislature. Not something I can forsee happening, but politics is often unpredictable. I still see Wab Kinew as the better choice at this point in time.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 3:21 PM

Pcs have zero chance if NDP is at 59% and 50% in southwest and southeast winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Pcs have zero chance if NDP is at 59% and 50% in southwest and southeast winnipeg.
unless the Liberals get those votes. I'd be very shocked if NDP get in SE Wpg

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
unless the Liberals get those votes. I'd be very shocked if NDP get in SE Wpg
What do you mean by SE Winnipeg? I live in Riel in SE Winnipeg which is a swing riding, and it's very likely that Rochelle Squires is on her way out. Southdale is headed the same way. St. Vital has already flipped. Maybe the PCs have a shot at keeping Seine River and Lagimodiere?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:40 PM

Pcs would need to win in areas where Gillingham won this past mayoral election to have a chance and right now they are getting crushed in suburbia. Gillingham was likeable and had a simple effective campaign with big ticket items for suburban voters. I have yet to see that from Stefanson.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What do you mean by SE Winnipeg? I live in Riel in SE Winnipeg which is a swing riding, and it's very likely that Rochelle Squires is on her way out. Southdale is headed the same way. St. Vital has already flipped. Maybe the PCs have a shot at keeping Seine River and Lagimodiere?
will see how the campaign goes but many in my circles (also SE Wpg) and many are not NDP supporters. Many are PC but dislike leader so will that push them liberal and stay PC?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 12:22 AM

Kinew said today he won't reopen the 4 ERs in the city that were switched to urgent care. To me that's a big red flag if NDP won't reopen them thats really disappointing especially with South Winnipeg the fastest growing part of the city with no ER. Based on that response today I am unlikely to vote.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 3:53 AM

I don't agree w Kinew very often, but this one I do. Urgent Care are fantastic and can handle vast majority. ER are for severe injuries. Both my wife (gall stones) and me (6 stitches in finger) received great treatment at Urgent Care

If you want wait times reduced, fund walk-in clinics attached to ER and Urgent Care and force people there.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 6:51 AM

A hybrid approach (maintaining 3 as urgent care, plan to transition one to a full ER as the population grows) likely makes sense from a cost & effectiveness standpoint. A well-equipped urgent care can generally handle most things apart from trauma's, heart attacks, strokes, etc which are true emergencies. As the population grows, some of these urgent cares can be advanced to a full ER as needed.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
I don't agree w Kinew very often, but this one I do. Urgent Care are fantastic and can handle vast majority. ER are for severe injuries. Both my wife (gall stones) and me (6 stitches in finger) received great treatment at Urgent Care

If you want wait times reduced, fund walk-in clinics attached to ER and Urgent Care and force people there.
That's it exactly! I would think a rapid triage system where people are sent directly to the level of care they need is essential. I think it's also important to have a system to move patients between levels of care if their condition changes.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 3:21 PM

The system we have right now with 3 full on ERs is reasonable. The focus should be on staffing up the 3 that we have to improve the level of service that is provided. Turning the Vic's urgent care back into an ED is not going to make a bunch of doctors and nurses magically appear.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
That's it exactly! I would think a rapid triage system where people are sent directly to the level of care they need is essential. I think it's also important to have a system to move patients between levels of care if their condition changes.
This is essentially done now. Some major road blocks to forcing someone who presents to HSC ER when they would be better served at SO UC is that the patient doesn't have the means to get there. I wish ER wait times were assessed based on 50th percentile instead of average wait. People who never should have presented at ER will wait very long to be seen and will skew the average time someone experiencing an emergency had to wait.

Moving patients between levels of care is also done now. Patients are often transferred between hospitals depending on their care needs.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 4:09 PM

A long time ago, I worked in a ER here in the city. I was just a clerk, but I sat with the triage nurse and had tasks to perform all over the department.

The vast majority of patients admitted had no business being there. Lots of people who nicked a finger chopping vegetables, bug bites, stubbed toes, etc. If you've heard of people complaining they waited in the ER for eight hours, this is likely why. They weren't triaged as an actual emergency.

So for actual emergencies, a portion of the beds (~25% if I recall) were held back for actual emergencies that were immediate and grave threats to life and limb. If you came in with cardiac symptoms, you were seen immediately. If someone had been crushed in an industrial accident, the nurses are going to drop whatever they were doing with the stubbed toe patient and attend to the guy who might be losing his leg. This also means that Mr Nicked Finger had to walk past a bunch of empty beds once called being in the waiting room for the length of a workday, and then assumes the nurses are just being lazy.

You would also get seemingly healthy people stroll in, talk to the clerk, and be seen immediately, to the anger of Mrs Bug Bite who is four hours into her wait. This is because that person had an appointment in the ER. They were being administered a drug dangerous enough to require supervision in the ER - usually dalteparin or similar.

There's also the issue of someone who needs an urgent care problem tended to, but the ER can't take them because the wards are full. So there's a patient who is sick, but no longer an emergency case who is taking up a bed while waiting for room on the wards to open up.

Urgent Care is the correct place to be for most people most of the time. Minor cases will be seen faster, and genuine emergencies had more resources dedicated to them.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
A long time ago, I worked in a ER here in the city. I was just a clerk, but I sat with the triage nurse and had tasks to perform all over the department.

The vast majority of patients admitted had no business being there. Lots of people who nicked a finger chopping vegetables, bug bites, stubbed toes, etc. If you've heard of people complaining they waited in the ER for eight hours, this is likely why. They weren't triaged as an actual emergency.

So for actual emergencies, a portion of the beds (~25% if I recall) were held back for actual emergencies that were immediate and grave threats to life and limb. If you came in with cardiac symptoms, you were seen immediately. If someone had been crushed in an industrial accident, the nurses are going to drop whatever they were doing with the stubbed toe patient and attend to the guy who might be losing his leg. This also means that Mr Nicked Finger had to walk past a bunch of empty beds once called being in the waiting room for the length of a workday, and then assumes the nurses are just being lazy.

You would also get seemingly healthy people stroll in, talk to the clerk, and be seen immediately, to the anger of Mrs Bug Bite who is four hours into her wait. This is because that person had an appointment in the ER. They were being administered a drug dangerous enough to require supervision in the ER - usually dalteparin or similar.

There's also the issue of someone who needs an urgent care problem tended to, but the ER can't take them because the wards are full. So there's a patient who is sick, but no longer an emergency case who is taking up a bed while waiting for room on the wards to open up.

Urgent Care is the correct place to be for most people most of the time. Minor cases will be seen faster, and genuine emergencies had more resources dedicated to them.
Reading this while sitting in the emergency room in Selkirk, and I have to kinda laugh, as it’s packed in here, why? Nobody can see their family doctors as everyone is on holidays. If this happens every year why aren’t emergency departments staffed to handle the increase in traffic? Four hours in pain… possibly a kidney stone, but maybe it’s an appendix issue? I dont know, all I know is id be lying on the floor right now if I could physically get down there. No beds available at all, and cannot even get a blanket as they have none. So I’ll shiver and sweat here in pain and wait… honestly this is pathetic, I feel sorry for the patients, and to a lesser extent the staff, but my god healthcare in this country is broken.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Reading this while sitting in the emergency room in Selkirk, and I have to kinda laugh, as it’s packed in here, why? Nobody can see their family doctors as everyone is on holidays. If this happens every year why aren’t emergency departments staffed to handle the increase in traffic? Four hours in pain… possibly a kidney stone, but maybe it’s an appendix issue? I dont know, all I know is id be lying on the floor right now if I could physically get down there. No beds available at all, and cannot even get a blanket as they have none. So I’ll shiver and sweat here in pain and wait… honestly this is pathetic, I feel sorry for the patients, and to a lesser extent the staff, but my god healthcare in this country is broken.
I had the same issue at the Grace emergency in March with a strangulated intestine. I waited 28 hours for a bed and 4 hours just for pain meds in the hallway. Hope you get better soon.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I had the same issue at the Grace emergency in March with a strangulated intestine. I waited 28 hours for a bed and 4 hours just for pain meds in the hallway. Hope you get better soon.
Thank you I really appreciate it… hour five here, the thing that honestly is driving me nuts the most is watching the staff, walking around with absolutely zero sense of urgency. Everyone is walking around and chatting like there’s absolutely no rush at all. Must be nice to work in that type of environment. I’d never have made it as a chef if moved as slow as these people

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 5:31 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Thank you I really appreciate it… hour five here, the thing that honestly is driving me nuts the most is watching the staff, walking around with absolutely zero sense of urgency. Everyone is walking around and chatting like there’s absolutely no rush at all. Must be nice to work in that type of environment. I’d never have made it as a chef if moved as slow as these people
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you are in a lot of pain, go back to triage and tell them you the pain is so intense you may pass out. Thank me later.

I just had my gallbladder out via emergency surgery just before Christmas at HSC. Severe Abdominal pain with other concerns should get you in quickly. I got in within 4 hours, but had to wait a few days for the actual surgery. At HSC.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 10:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

be glad ur not in thompson it can take a week to see the doc at the clinic and just cause u have an apointment dont me u will get in.

up in lynn lake its pritty decet to get in and out just wish the doc was not an idiot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan