HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Wow, we dodged a bullet then. Analog is an outstanding addition to 17th.
Hey now, it would've been cool.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 3:43 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Hey now, it would've been cool.
Well, there'll always be the dream.

I just noticed under the new places listing on urbanspoon: the space that was until recently That Schnitzel Place (4th Ave east of 8 St SW) is now Jalapenos, apparently a Mexican place. I called about hours and they're open 11-10 M-Sat. Looking forward. I loved TSP but they were never open on Saturdays and so I almost never made it there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 8:59 PM
effete latte-lifter

Analog looks incredible. Missing Calgary these days for sure.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 8:23 AM
not a NIMBY

I had a great pizza (Italiano) at the Calgary Italian Club tonight. I have never had a reason to go there before so I didn't know that there is a restaurant in the club open to the public.
La Cantina is run by Roma Catering which has been owned by the Cechetto family for 35 years. The prices seemed reasonable and everyone was saying how good their food was so I'm going to have to go back to try their pasta and other entrees.
They are open for lunch and dinner Monday to Friday. Enter in the side door of the building from the parking lot and La Cantina is on the lower level.

http://romacatering.ca/cantina.html

416 1 Ave NE (just west of Spicy Hut)

Last edited by Jimby; Nov 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 7:43 PM

Was just at Cafe Rosso in Ramsay, based on the giant coffee roaster behind the counter, it looks like they're going to start roasting their own beans.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 3:24 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I had a great pizza (Italiano) at the Calgary Italian Club tonight. I have never had a reason to go there before so I didn't know that there is a restaurant in the club open to the public.
La Cantina is run by Roma Catering which has been owned by the Cechetto family for 35 years. The prices seemed reasonable and everyone was saying how good their food was so I'm going to have to go back to try their pasta and other entrees...
Jimby, thanks for the review. I've been meaning to try the place ever since finding out about it as I live just up the hill in Renfrew.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 3:36 AM
Great White Norf

yesterday we (Frontier Metropolis) were selling our latest 'Represent your Quadrant' (NE/NW/SE/SW, and Deep South) shirts at Eau Claire Market during the Battle City YYC Breakdancing competition. It was a great event!

Afterwards my biz partner and his wife were craving pizza so we went to LDV pizza bar (upstairs of La Dolce Vita) in Bridgeland.
I've said this before but will say it again: The pizza there is fantastic! wood fired, thin crust with top notch quality toppings. We shared a margherita pizza with a light yet delicious tomato sauce, and a new pizza offering (can't remember the name) but it was marinated chicken with a (parmesan?) cream sauce, black olives and arugula.

I highly recommend going to LDV for some amazing pizza.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 3:41 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Keep in mind they will also be building a patio. Huge improvement from what was there before.

love the banquettes and herringbone wood floor

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 2:22 AM

Looks like David's tea is opening in Fashion Central - http://www.davidstea.com/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 6:18 AM

Sumo Lounge in Eau Claire Market is 30% off after 5pm as they are trying to draw an evening crowd. It's not mind blowing quality, but a sushi boat for 2 for under 20 bucks can't really be beat. We just ate there and then went to the theater which is probably the least busy in the city. Great evening

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 9:55 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

The wraps came off Kuzina (17th Ave and 11 St SW) and it looks beautiful.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 9:56 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I just had lunch at a new resto at 1226-8 St SW called Dev's Urban Cabana. Had something called "classic Bollywood pav bhaji" and they gave me a sample of their veggie hakka noodles. Both were stunning, and I mean absolutely delicious, and CHEAP- $6.95 for each, which by Calgary standards (downtown, at least) is a miracle. 403-262-1515, SUPPORT THIS PLACE! Reviews coming up on Yelp and Urbanspoon but I had to add the listing to each so it'll be a few days.

Here's a page about pav bhaji, and this is exactly how it looks at Dev's: http://www.freewebs.com/currytreat/bombaypavbhaaji.htm

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:59 PM
Here and There

I love upper 4th street. My aunt and uncle live up there and can walk to quite a few places now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I had dinner at The 4th Spot Kitchen last night, located at 4th Street and 26th Ave NW:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...119.53,,0,9.63

I had the meatloaf, and it was excellent. One hiccup though, my girlfriend ordered a pizza (gluten free, for those that require it) and pizza was quite popular that evening, so the time it took for her's to get in the oven was quite long. We had to wait about 45 minutes between ordering and getting the food. The staff was excellent though in letting us know about the delay, and still checking on us often. And because of the wait we were treated to a free dessert. We chose their icecream cake, which had a chocolate/peanut butter cookie crust with chocolate ice cream inside. After that, I certainly didn't care about the extra wait at all.

Overall a great meal, in a location that is starting to turn into a bit of a mini-hub for the communities of Mt. Pleasant and Tuxedo.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:09 PM

The 4th Spot Kitchen

I had dinner at The 4th Spot Kitchen last night, located at 4th Street and 26th Ave NW:

I had the meatloaf, and it was excellent. One hiccup though, my girlfriend ordered a pizza (gluten free, for those that require it) and pizza was quite popular that evening, so the time it took for her's to get in the oven was quite long. We had to wait about 45 minutes between ordering and getting the food. The staff was excellent though in letting us know about the delay, and still checking on us often. And because of the wait we were treated to a free dessert. We chose their icecream cake, which had a chocolate/peanut butter cookie crust with chocolate ice cream inside. After that, I certainly didn't care about the extra wait at all.

Overall a great meal, in a location that is starting to turn into a bit of a mini-hub for the communities of Mt. Pleasant and Tuxedo.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 9:41 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Also amazingly good up on 4 St NW: Shigatsu. Superb Japanese-owned sushi place. Next to Red Ember, my favourite in Calgary (for now).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:53 AM
Great White Norf

Rusty, My friend and I saw "Lincoln" (good movie despite annoying audience!-people sleeping! and making loud breathing noises, talking etc) at Eau Claire market tonight and had food from Jackie's Thai since I remembered you recommending it.
The owner is very nice and his cute 10 yr old was working the cash register. I told her that I was impressed by her since at 10 I wasn't learning how to do productive things such as that The owner gave us each a sample of the food before making our purchase which we thought was a nice touch.
We had the green curry with chicken (and San Pellegrino Limonata-one of my faves-to drink). It was way better than typical mall food court fast food junk. Although it came with a broth on the side that we weren't sure what to do with since it didn't have much flavour pardon my ignorance here. I ended up dousing some of the rice with the broth.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 5:15 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Rusty, My friend and I saw "Lincoln" (good movie despite annoying audience!-people sleeping! and making loud breathing noises, talking etc) at Eau Claire market tonight and had food from Jackie's Thai since I remembered you recommending it.
The owner is very nice and his cute 10 yr old was working the cash register. I told her that I was impressed by her since at 10 I wasn't learning how to do productive things such as that The owner gave us each a sample of the food before making our purchase which we thought was a nice touch.
We had the green curry with chicken (and San Pellegrino Limonata-one of my faves-to drink). It was way better than typical mall food court fast food junk. Although it came with a broth on the side that we weren't sure what to do with since it didn't have much flavour pardon my ignorance here. I ended up dousing some of the rice with the broth.
I agree, that cjhicken "soup" has very thin flavour- I think they see it as some sort of chicken "tea." At least it's not full of salt and MSG And it's free. It reminds me of the chicken broth stuff you get with Hainanese chicken rice- it tastes like hot water, serves some purpose that I suppose you have to be Asian to appreciate.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 4:54 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I agree, that cjhicken "soup" has very thin flavour- I think they see it as some sort of chicken "tea." At least it's not full of salt and MSG And it's free. It reminds me of the chicken broth stuff you get with Hainanese chicken rice- it tastes like hot water, serves some purpose that I suppose you have to be Asian to appreciate.
glad to hear we're on the same page. hah
next time I'll have to drink it like tea.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:50 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post

4th Spot is great. I normally pop by after work at least once a week for a beer and a bite. I would say that the food is consistently slow. Especially for larger parties. But the food quality is quite good so as long as you aren't in a rush it is work the wait.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:51 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I need to try this place out, I live a 5 min walk from there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation