HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 8:19 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Well, I got to try out AHD for myself over the weekend as we travelled from Calgary to my Mom's new place in Redwater. We only did the SE AHD but I have to say I'm very impressed. Can't wait for our (Calgary's) ring road to open in a few years time. The only complaint I have is some of the signage is a little confusing. Coming home we travelled south on #14 (216 now?) past the refineries and Sherwood Park. When you come to Whitemud the signs indicate that this will connect you to #2. While I guess this is technically correct people may exit here and take Whitemud westbound not knowing that AHD is a few km further south and is a much better connection to #2. While I knew that I needed to keep going to AHD, it still made me pause for a moment when I saw the Whitemud exit and the reference to #2. Other than that it is great.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 8:23 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
from C2E
I can see that someone is actually paying attention to the real issues!

Flickr

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 9:49 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ Yeah, independent U of A newspaper. Not the movers and shakers by any means.

Damn it, U of A needs a school of planning to set the tone in the city!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
/\ Yeah, independent U of A newspaper. Not the movers and shakers by any means.

Damn it, U of A needs a school of planning to set the tone in the city!
It's in the works....

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
Majestic

That's excellent news. Just hope it doesn't get totally co-opted by city planners (the establishment) like EVDS has here in Calgary...

Flickr

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
Urban Advocate

really? do you have a source to refer me to? arch. and planning?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
really? do you have a source to refer me to? arch. and planning?
The powers that be, AACIP and members of the industry, are working with the UofA to develop a planning program. I believe architecture may be involved in this as well.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:30 AM
Community Guy

^excellent to hear...Edmonton really really could use those here. Maybe i wont have to leave to study after all.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:22 AM
Urban Advocate

Strange thread to have this discussion in, but that is wicked. The only mjr. city in Canada without planning/arch. degrees... it's been too long. And I'd go as far to say that our city development reflects it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:32 PM
Change is good

Anyone had a chance to drive the full AHD yet?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:14 PM
Urban Advocate

Cold and his rice rocket buddies are gunning for the day the loop is finished I bet.

Who's going to se the loop record....

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:17 PM
Community Guy

^hehe...my widdle s2k loves the AHD

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:36 PM
BANNED

^ Easy to believe. It's nice flat pavement. Knowing you drive a S2000 speaks to your restraint when the pothole discussions come up. I had the opportunity to borrow a S2000 for my summer vacation this year and I swear the suspension is tight enough to tell the difference between an american quarter and a canadian one just by driving over it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
^ Easy to believe. It's nice flat pavement. Knowing you drive a S2000 speaks to your restraint when the pothole discussions come up. I had the opportunity to borrow a S2000 for my summer vacation this year and I swear the suspension is tight enough to tell the difference between an american quarter and a canadian one just by driving over it.

pot holes dont just hurt my car, they eat it

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
BANNED

It was actually the fear of falling into a gaping asphalt maw, never to return, that dissuaded me from buying my dad's S2000 this past summer. And the fact nobody seemed to notice me beside them as they attempted to merge their SUV into the precise physical space I was occupying. Happened a half dozen times over the 2 weeks.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:31 PM
Community Guy

^it is quite scary driving it sometimes for that reason, but it is nimble enough to evade suv stupidity.

i can honestly say it is the best decision ive ever made...driving any other car, short of a lotus elise or porsche gt3, is torture.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Anyone had a chance to drive the full AHD yet?
Yeah, I just returned to Edmonton a few days ago, and that's one of the first things I did... Yellowhead to Yellowhead. It's a nice road. Hopefully the re-signing along the east end and the interchanges out west will come quickly.

Speaking of signage, has anyone else noticed that the new SE leg of AHD is using Clearview font now? I think that's a National mandate, I've been traveling across western Canada, and have seen it popping up all over the place. The whole Coquihalla and Trans Canada route in BC has been completely re-signed with the new font.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:22 AM

The U of A Department of Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
The powers that be, AACIP and members of the industry, are working with the UofA to develop a planning program. I believe architecture may be involved in this as well.
The University of Alberta not only had a Department teaching architecture - some of the Faculty were engaged in design of many of Edmonts great buildings:

Extract: "...weighted to art and history and included historical drawing, architectural history and decoration. Recognizing it unlikely he would become permanent faculty, Burgess's acquaintance with Percy Nobbs again resulted in employment. Nobbs recommended Burgess to H.M. Tory, the first president of the newly conceived University of Alberta. Through his architectural firm, Nobbs and Hyde, Nobbs worked as the principal consulting architectural firm for the University and Nobbs requiered a supervising representative on the campus to see through to completion the firm's designs. President Tory appointed Burgess Professor of Architecture in 1913. He was made responsible to superintend the design of university buildings and design courses for the university's Department of Architecture. is would be a reinstatement of a previousl department/faculty."

http://archive1.lse.ualberta.ca/Find...ss/71-213.html

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:03 PM

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:04 PM

is there a timeline for Stony Plain Rd Interchange?
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton