HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
fried white rice

Bangkok... nevermind the rest! (part 1)

Why would one ever want to be elsewhere (on the other hand, some might want to be anywhere else BUT there)? All small pathetic towns beware! Here comes the real shit! Crazy elevated highways, one of the world's largest airport terminals, world's largest and craziest nightlife scene, one of the biggest shopping scenes, fantastic food, lotsa beer, lotsa smiles and well... pretty much everything one could (or could not) imagine.

Here goes Krung Thep (sometimes called Bangkok by inexperienced travellers...), where you might want to forget that the rest of the world does indeed exist

Soundtrack from 1984: One night in Bangkok

So what did change in those 23 years since 'One Night in Bangkok'? LED and LCD screens in the streets and bars? multistorey elevated highways? sexy shopping malls? Well, yeah, but massage parlours, bars, street markets and the Reclining Buddha are still there just as two decades ago and they don't seem to go anywhere!

What about some skyline (landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport)?

A little road from the airport to central Bangkok (does anyone know where is 'central Bangkok' at all? Or how many central Bangkoks there are?)

Suvrnabhumi airport was completed just last yea and costed $3.8 billion.there are two runways 4000m and 3700m long and world's tallest control tower

Inside... looks cool and modern... not as good as HKIA though. In any case it's one of THE airports you might want to see and experience

Sukhumvit Soi5... that's where I stay

Sukhumvit Road,oone of the main streets in Bangkok stuffed with hotels (both cheap and expensive), shopping and other stuff

Baiyoke Tower, Thailand's tallest building (300+ meters, 1000+ ft)

Those loving big SUVs won't be disappointed. This model of Toyota (Fortuner... made on tha basis of Toyota Hilux) is probably the most popular SUV in Thailand... and SUVs/pick-ups are crazy popular there

Going up to Baiyoke

Architecture kinda sucks but the views from above are fantastic (too bad never been there at night, should be quite a view...)

Singha, No.1 beer in Thailand and indeed one of the best beers I know

Big and ugly (or not?)

Does anyone know where to go?

many more to come

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 7:26 PM

Excellent pics, John! Im glad you enjoyed your vacation.
Just wondering, how much time did you spend over there, and what was your budget?

I'm planning to hit the same route you took very soon

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:06 PM
fried white rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrbijaCG View Post
Excellent pics, John! Im glad you enjoyed your vacation.
Just wondering, how much time did you spend over there, and what was your budget?

I'm planning to hit the same route you took very soon
That's a wise decision
BAngkok (and Thailand as a whole) is a must visit for everyone, regardless of their interests.
FLights from London to Bangkok normally cost anywhere between £350 and £450. Budget for stayingthere doesn't have to be high but I didn't really count how much I spent... just as much as I had in my credit and debit cards (and I have quite a few of them now ). Things are quite cheap over there yet you get the top service pretty much everywhere. And if you want to hit some classy nightclubs in Bangkok (which is packed of these) it might cost as much as $20-30 for the entrance aone (it will be free if you just go to go-go bars though ). You can easily do with $300 for two weeks if you want but even $2000 might not be enough if you wanna have some real fun. So it's entirely up to you

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 5:45 PM

....suvarna..whatever looks like a warehouse...doesnt looks awesome....put some colors bangkok..grey sucks...though i love ur airport and bangkok, improve more..

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 7:33 PM

Nice thread. Though cutting back on the F-word in the title of it would probably draw more forumers.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 9:53 PM
Veni Vidi Vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
So what did change in those 23 years since 'One Night in Bangkok'? LED and LCD screens in the streets and bars? multistorey elevated highways? sexy shopping malls? Well, yeah, but massage parlours, bars, street markets and the Reclining Buddha are still there just as two decades ago and they don't seem to go anywhere!
What about Yul Bryner? Did he join the show yet??

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 9:45 AM

glad you had fun in Bangkok.

Quote:
does anyone know where is 'central Bangkok' at all? Or how many central Bangkoks there are?
I don't think Bangkok has a real downtown. but the city center area for modern part of Bangkok is Silom-Sathorn (financial district) and Siam-Patumwan area (commercial and shopping district).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 12:00 AM

Bangkok || Thailand

cool!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific