HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 2:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

downtown los angeles

downtown los angeles

from last spring, here is downtown via metro, bus, driving, biking and walking --
unfortunately i lost a bunch of good stuff, including chinatown, japantown, union station & skid row,
but there is always next time —
have a look!

**** that’s all folks — i hope you enjoyed poking around downtown los angeles ****

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:32 PM

Nicely done! Glad you went to the piñata district and some other less traveled areas

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:11 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:12 AM

Love that you explored the area south of downtown near USC. The old AAA headquarters is one of my favorite buildings in that neighborhood. I used to drive past it every day on my way to work a long time ago back in 1984.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:07 AM

Awesome set, downtown LA's older stock is seriously underappreciated.

And who among us isn't at least somewhat of an Eggslut?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 1:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ haha yeah that caught my eye! the market is very nice, 2nd time i have been there (seems more of a food hall really though).

and yes indeed it's cool to see whats going on and what isn't, at least obviously, with downtown's older buildings.

the SE of downtown certainly has a few charms, pinata district, african american fire museum, shout out to king taco #6(!) and of course the iconic coke bottling plant that i made a beeline for. a funny thing there was an employee walking out who saw me taking pics, so he paused by me and said in his very los angeles way, "yeaahh, it's like a ship sailing through tiiiime." very true!

and lastly, SW between downtown and usc is a great area to park it for an hour and poke around in with lots of eye catching things, like the doheny mansion, stimson mansion, felix chevy, the addams family mansion site lamp post (haha), shrine auditorium, awesome aaa hq, beautiful st vincent de paul church and i am sure more i missed. you get a feel for an older los angeles here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 10:38 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Amazing. Stuff like this keeps reminding me that I should be visiting LA at least once a month.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:53 PM

Nice photos, mrnyc! You really covered some ground! I love the Coca-Cola bottling plant building, and I'm glad to know you also went to the African American Fire Museum, I went there some years ago and thought it was very interesting.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:02 AM

looked at your post of pics from florida & this one on dtla, & although the two places are associated with sunshine & palm trees, something about the light in LA has a brighter, more direct quality about it. Never noticed or thought about that til I read about how ppl in film...movies...have long noticed a distinctive trait about sunlight in Ca compared with various other places.

Makes me think of 'flora & fauna' mentioned by some ppl visiting the west from the east yrs ago. I'd wonder what they were referring to since LA has to import much of its water....so how can flora & fauna be all that different, esp without lots of irrigation? then it occurred to me that temperatures affect plant life....just as it does humans....so if the weather is too cold, esp at night, various flora & fauna will die.

There too, even though it's warmer in places like florida, there are instances during winter when it will be colder at night there than even in parts of LA....so flora & fauna in one climate will be different from flora & fauna in another climate.

just things that make you go 'hmm'. Or who gives a s---?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:16 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ no worries, i would guess or hope everyone on here goes hmm about this stuff and gives a s*#t, isn’t that why we are here? ha.

there is definitely a difference in the light between la and fla, one being crisp and the other hazy. same for a very distinctive light here in nyc, which is silvery.

as for the flora, while its easy assume they are comparable at a glance because of the palm trees, they could not be more different, with los angeles really being a desert environment and florida a tropical one. and then as you said there is the influence of humanity reshaping both to their liking.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
as for the flora, while its easy assume they are comparable at a glance because of the palm trees, they could not be more different, with los angeles really being a desert environment and florida a tropical one. and then as you said there is the influence of humanity reshaping both to their liking.
We prefer, "Mediterranean" climate

Climate nerdiness aside, great photo thread! Looks like you covered a lot of ground.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:19 PM

Great set of downtown. Love what is taking place downtown with all the new and improved. Transportation, retail, adaptive reuse, parks, restaurants; it's all coming together nicely. Great photos.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 11:09 PM

I like your Broad museum shots!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos