April 6

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:22 AM

Nice morning light...

04/08/18

The eastern leg is reaching its apex.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Same comment for literally every building in the entire city that's got a glass curtainwall. We have no idea what it will actually look like en masse or when the inside is actually climate controlled.
What does climate control have to do with it? Are you saying that’s just a visual illusion created by condensation, etc?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What does climate control have to do with it? Are you saying that’s just a visual illusion created by condensation, etc?
It's got all sorts of effects on how a thin, flexible, material like glass looks. First of all, if the floors not entirely sealed off, just the wind itself can be pushing hard on the glass flexing it out of it's resting state. Then there is the fact that the glass isn't designed to just be at ambient outdoor temperature, it's designed to hold the line between the inside and outside temperatures. It's going to look entirely different when one side is heated the the other isn't than when it's all 30 degrees. I mean think about it, if the glass panels are cut and fitted to the frames in a climate controlled factory where it's 70 degrees and designed to wall off 72 degree temps from whatever is going on outside, of course the glass is going to look funny when the entire panel is chilled to 30 degrees. All of those materials expand at different rates with temperature and it's going to go from a perfectly fitting pane of glass in a metal frame to all kinds of warped as a result.

Also once the enclosure is complete, you have to deal with air pressure gradients in a building of this size. The entire enclosure is designed to work together or you get crazy stuff happening like the doors at the bottom of the Sears Tower blowing out because of the stack effect (they are an ultra strong airlock to prevent this). Also most large HVAC systems like the ones found in a building of this size create a slight positive air pressure which essentially "inflates" the entire glass structure again flexing the glass from its resting state. The point being that glass highrises are designed to balance these forces as much as possible and a piece of glass that's just hanging out there in the air isn't being subjected to those loads.

Climate control is actually one of the more interesting aspects of construction IMO. There's a lot going on there that isn't readily apparent. We even deal with it on small buildings where you must get the building warmed up and keep it warmed up throughout construction if you want to have a perfect result. I just wrote a check to People's gas for $1500 for all the gas I used keeping what was basically a framed shell warm all winter. You have to keep the framing warm or it will move later once you have all the insulation in and drywall done. I've seen 2x4's warp or "walk" (i.e. 2x4's were 16" apart and then ripped loose from their nails and slid along the plate to only be 15" apart as they expanded and contracted) as far as an inch when warmed from below freezing to room temperature. I can't imagine what they deal with when they warm up these concrete supertall buildings after having them essentially open to the elements all winter.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:18 PM

Thanks for explaining how the glass works and maybe we will see less complaining in the future!

Fingers crossed.....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:50 AM
Chicago

April 10, 2018

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 9:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like its about 560 ft eyeing it. Approaching the half-way mark by the looks of it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 10:01 PM

At 2 floors a week. Vista is on track to reach the half way mark a month from now.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:19 PM
Ω

I can't wait to see the glass get to the point where we can see the different shades.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:25 AM

04/17/18

West stem, northern face

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:33 PM

Oh boy oh boy oh boy finally. First impression: good. You're next, One Grant Park.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Woo woo woo, i like it, looking greenish.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:48 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Woo woo woo, i like it, looking greenish.
I'm liking it too, although it looks pretty blue to me. Would've definitely preferred that it was a lot greener than it is, but this color isn't too bad... its a nice dark shade, which should differentiate it from the surrounding LSE buildings which have a lighter shade of blue (Coast, Shoreham, Regatta, etc.)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Yeah it's definitely more blue, but i was expecting blue like Lowe's or something. This seems more aqua but maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:12 PM
1st Ward

It might be a tiny bit greener/aqua than Loews, but like you said, it could be our eyes seeing what our minds want us to see. I feel like its darker than Loews though (assuming its not just the scaffolding shading the glass), which is a positive. I want the tower to stand out more from the sea of blue that surrounds it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:28 PM

I'm seeing more green than blue (see scaffolding )and if this is the the darkest shade they are installing Vista is definitely going to be a game changer!

Thnx for pics!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the glazing looks more green than blue to my eye.

but these things can be affected by one's monitor's settings.

it's best to ascertain the true color by checking it out in the flesh.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:00 PM

4/20/18
They’ve moved the scaffolding up 2 floors so you can get a better look at the glass now. The large pieces of glass seemed much more blue (below.. looking from long angle).

The smaller pieces that line the floor plates seemed much more green (below, below.. looking straight on) and also seemed to be different shades as you go up. Pictures are pretty accurate to what I was seeing in person. Still, hard to tell with the lighting back there. Def go check it out for yourselves!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:03 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the glazing looks more green than blue to my eye.

but these things can be affected by one's monitor's settings.

it's best to ascertain the true color by checking it out in the flesh.
I seem to be the only one saying it looks blue, so hopefully my monitor here at work sucks

Green = better!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I seem to be the only one saying it looks blue, so hopefully my monitor here at work sucks

Green = better!
Definitely blue to me too. Looks nice so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture