HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
You realize you're the third person in this thread to mention in the same post that you wish the transportation planning was better, while noting that you never know what's coming next in Houston? You realize also, don't you, that those two things are related? There is no way to plan transportation effectively if you have no way to predict what land use is coming next.
Houston certainly isn't a model for land use but even cities with zoning face the issues Houston does with accommodating growth. A million people per decade growth metro poses a great challenge. Conversely, when you know you're going to have large growth then you should try and plan better.

Quote:
Not saying that is a bad thing necessarily. Just that you guys will always be reactionary when it comes to transportation. In particular, public transportation. I would go so far as to argue that a lack of planning is inherently incompatible with transit, which relies on predictable clusters of density to be effective.
Houston has done a great job upgrading it highways and building a ton of toll roads (I know blasphemy on here) but it's true. It certainly has come at the expense of some public transit. Houston's METRO transit agency has certainly done it's damage from sheer incompetence to corruption.

Quote:
Or, alternatively, it relies on a very powerful government and a lot of money to come cram it in after the density is built up. Since that doesn't really happen in the US, if only because there isn't the money for it, I would say that fixed route transit Houston is a lost cause - a waste of your time and money. Focus on buses.
I disagree, fixed route transit can work in limited action in Houston. I do agree that Houston should focus more on bus service, which it will do for the near future.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions