HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 11:20 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
That's great news! What's your source BoiseAirport? I'd love to learn more!
I first caught it on the Airliners.net forums. I knew in advanced that Southwest was going to update their schedule Monday ( per this thread: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5936428/ ) as they periodically always do. Whenever that happens I'm on the lookout for service changes. I saw some people post stuff about MDW-BOI, so I went to Southwest.com and indeed I verified it through their online timetable.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 11:35 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
So, I took a trip to Seattle a couple weeks ago, and I owe a beer to whomever told me (it was likely Anthony) that the props on a Q400 weren't that bad after all. I was very surprised that it didn't annoy me.

That said, I still miss not having baggage fees on Northwest flights.
I hear ya about baggage fees. Best part of the Q400s for me is the free wine and regional microbrews that Horizon Air offers. I think I have a bias toward them because of that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
I hear ya about baggage fees. Best part of the Q400s for me is the free wine and regional microbrews that Horizon Air offers. I think I have a bias toward them because of that.
i would have taken advantage of that if my flights weren't in the super early morning.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:26 PM

Looks like Alaska pulled back their aggressive BOI-SEA schedule for the summer from 12 to 10. I figured this was from fear of Delta adding service. Maybe they think that isn't happening now.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 11:50 PM
Closed account

Transit Center

http://www.duluthtransit.com/content...l_brochure.pdf

Interesting information on Duluth Transit Center. Even has a 8 bus pickup and drop off area as planned by Gardner, but above ground.

There are larger multimodal centers with Amtrack and light rail connections.

Alton, Illinois
http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0627

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 12:19 AM
Closed account

City Center Plaza

Looking at the site plan, the Capital Blvd mid section will have 4 parking garage entrances.
Grove Hotel underground parking: Down and UP
South Tower: above ground UP and Down
Transit Center: Down
US Bank underground: Down and UP
They must being planning the left lane as an entrance and exit lane. A fun time in the morning and evening rush hour.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Dec 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 1:44 AM

Capitol is not nearly as congested north of Front as it is south. Furthermore, remember that the two left hand lanes are now forced to turn left onto Front. This has left that left most lane between Front and Main as a bit of a "dead lane" as a result. I think that lane could function very well for access to the transit center.

In addition, they could make it easier by making the new pedestrian signal at Grove change automatically with the sequence on Capitol. This is something they should do anyway with the wonders of the one-way street coordination (especially at 8th & Front )

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 6:23 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Heads up, though it's probably too late for anyone to catch it.

Looking at FlightAware a lot of diversions came into the airport today:

2 Delta 757-200s
Delta 737-800
Delta A319
Delta A320
3 SkyWest CRJs
UPS 767-300
FedEx DC-10

Plus a 757 charter for the Boise State football team. Wild day! Anyone have any photos?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Heads up, though it's probably too late for anyone to catch it.

Looking at FlightAware a lot of diversions came into the airport today:

2 Delta 757-200s
Delta 737-800
Delta A319
Delta A320
3 SkyWest CRJs
UPS 767-300
FedEx DC-10

Plus a 757 charter for the Boise State football team. Wild day! Anyone have any photos?
I could totally see you parking just off Orchard St and watching the planes come in just like this scene from Wayne's World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2WutlqBk0

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:43 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
I could totally see you parking just off Orchard St and watching the planes come in just like this scene from Wayne's World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2WutlqBk0

Sometimes I'm like that, sometimes I'm like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfb_usoubg

Photos of activity, courtesy of the Boise Airport facebook page:

Lots of cool photos there.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:58 PM
Dare Mighty Things

And there it is: Alaska Airlines announces a nonstop Boise to Salt Lake City flight beginning June 16th, utilizing Q400 turboprops.

Boise-Salt Lake City
Departs 7:10am, Arrives 8:22am

Salt Lake City-Boise
Departs 5:55pm, Arrives 7:12pm

Also explains what happened to the capacity dump on Boise to Seattle - those Q400s are being taken away and deployed for SLC expansion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska...130000324.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 7:20 PM

So I just took a look at ACHD's master plan for 27th Street right here:

http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/Me...for_web_sm.pdf

There's something I noticed that I'm not sure that I agree with. It's only going to have a center turn lane from Main to Bannock, and again from Jordan to State. In the middle, they are instead going to allow parking on the west side of the road, and have it just be a two lane road.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:38 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
So I just took a look at ACHD's master plan for 27th Street right here:

http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/Me...for_web_sm.pdf

There's something I noticed that I'm not sure that I agree with. It's only going to have a center turn lane from Main to Bannock, and again from Jordan to State. In the middle, they are instead going to allow parking on the west side of the road, and have it just be a two lane road.
Thanks for posting that. I knew they were working on it, didn't know it was out. At one point a center turn lane was proposed the whole way and I thought that was unnecessary. There aren't many left turners except at Jordan, Davis and at the Maverick.

The parking lane does seem goofy but I say give it a shot. I'm going to advocate the historical usage again. Prior to the 1974 widening to 4 lanes, 27th was much more like 23rd is today. It was a trolley street in the trolley era. There are others, 18th and 24th north of State, notice how wide those are? I'm not sure if parking was allowed or when it was banned along 27th. But it was definitely 1974 when 27th came into its current layout. So anyway, my point is the houses on 27th have setback problems due to the widening. Many have inadequate parking. Hopefully the parking lane will serve to calm traffic too. It will give notice to drivers that, yo, dude, this is a residential neighborhood.

Oddly it doesn't show the plan for the section between Fairview and Main.

Here's a sample from the pdf:

Last edited by boisecynic; Dec 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:50 AM

Quote:
And there it is: Alaska Airlines announces a nonstop Boise to Salt Lake City flight beginning June 16th, utilizing Q400 turboprops.

Boise-Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City-Boise

Also explains what happened to the capacity dump on Boise to Seattle - those Q400s are being taken away and deployed for SLC expansion.

Great news. Hopefully soon to expand to a couple flights daily. Maybe next we'll see DL start flying between BOI and SEA like you guested BA.

Wonder why local news outlets haven't picked this up yet. They've been giving quite a bit of coverage over the last year on the lack of service out of BOI.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 9:33 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Interesting adjustment to Delta's schedule in April-May. Looks like they'll be decreasing from 6 to 5 flights, but upgauging equipment to 4x daily mainline. Schedule:

2x 737-800
2x A32x
1x CRJ-700

Plus 2x daily A32x to Minneapolis means that Delta will be almost all mainline service to Boise.

The summer schedule will be interesting to see.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 9:34 PM
Dare Mighty Things

EDIT: double post

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:25 PM

There's going to be an open house on new plans for a circulator:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...irculator.html

Looks like I'll have to put my transportation thinking cap on and come up with something good.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:42 PM
Honored Member

Quote:

Boise-Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City-Boise

That is good news!

I posted a question about this in transportation, but I think this is a better source given AL changes. Does AL/Horizon have more connecting flights at BO I than the Spokane Airport? And I guess a second question would be do each of the above airports have their own region to connect from smaller cities to larger ones?

Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
That is good news!

I posted a question about this in transportation, but I think this is a better source given AL changes. Does AL/Horizon have more connecting flights at BO I than the Spokane Airport? And I guess a second question would be do each of the above airports have their own region to connect from smaller cities to larger ones?

Thanks for the info.
Horizon at one time operated hubs in Boise and Spokane. Boise to connect to smaller Idaho cities and Spokane for Montana cities. Boise has more cities served than Spokane, but I believe Spokane probably has more seats because of the shuttle flights to Seattle.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:36 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Horizon at one time operated hubs in Boise and Spokane. Boise to connect to smaller Idaho cities and Spokane for Montana cities. Boise has more cities served than Spokane, but I believe Spokane probably has more seats because of the shuttle flights to Seattle.
You're correct. With the arrival and departure there won't be any connection opportunities outside of Portland/Seattle. I think that's kind of a missed opportunity actually. Ideally this flight would do well enough to add a 2nd daily flight leaving out of SLC in the morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West