HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Ugh.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:54 PM

That's a bummer, hoping it still gets built.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:11 PM

Another 400 footer...yippie, wahoo, yahoo, joy to the world, yessssss, golly gee, oh boy, holy cow, hip hip herray, 3 cheers, omg, holy shit, yeah buddy, lucky us, thank God, how exciting, surprise, great news, wow,
can't wait, please sir may we have another, this magic moment, iconic, stupendous, amazing, pants pissing, look out NYC, HERE WE COME!
Well maybe they will make the spire 300 feet tall...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:24 PM
Meh

Well that sucks. 420 feet would still make it the tallest hotel in Austin, but only by 12 feet. I can't say I"m surprised. That would explain the architect being tight lipped on it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:46 PM

I knew it. I still don't think it will happen....AND if it does, it will be ugly.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 9:08 PM
Rundberg & I35

A wide 420 foot building at that location will still look massive coming down I-35. Still hope it gets built. The extra 1000 pedestrians will really revamp Red River and Cesar Chavez as well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 9:44 PM

I just hope they don't try to cut the budget by making it another brown and beige stucco hotel like the Hilton, since this will be so prominent from I35 and the East side.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 9:59 PM

The height reduction is disappointing. But I'll still be happy with it if the exterior looks similar to the original proposal. If it ends up looking like the Hilton to save some money it will be a prominent blight on the skyline.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 10:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
Here is what I have found out from a subcontractor that wishes to remain anonymous-

The old design at 47 floors is way over budget. The new design is still over budget, but they are working on it. It will be 36 floors, but add more hotel rooms per floor (shorter and fatter). The height will be below 420 feet.

Current scheduled ground breaking is in October. If they miss this date the entire project is in jeopardy as many subcontractors will walk.
Overbudget? How? I thought the development budget was at $370 million (roughly $20-$50 million more than the same as the JW Marriott and W Hotel, respectively).

FYI: The Austonian was built for $250 million...Magellan built the 82-story, 860' Aqua in Chicago for $300 million...Hines just got funding to construct a 45-story, $300 million office tower in Chicago...Miami's 1,000' SkyRise Miami will cost roughly $400 million...Jersey City's 42-story, 1 million SF office tower will cost $400 million...Time Equities' 50 West Street 63-story, 1+ million SF mixed-use tower in Manhattan will cost $398 million ($288 million for construction)...just to name a few.

I explained my worry on this project months ago. I don't think Baby Doug knows his head from his ass! What is he trying to do...build the tower out of platinum? JK

It will be interesting to see what Hunt Construction was told when they signed a $247 million deal to construct the tower this past March. According to all the press on this deal, March-May (2014) the building seemed to be a go in its original form. What has happened since?

All in all, I'd rather it not get built than have some piece of crap constructed on that site!

As I've been working on a new project, I have not been able to keep up with this development. I've e-mailed a few of my contacts to see what I can dig up.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Jul 21, 2014 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 10:55 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I just hope they don't try to cut the budget by making it another brown and beige stucco hotel like the Hilton, since this will be so prominent from I35 and the East side.
As long as Gensler is still designing it, I think we can still expect a nice building. If they've been removed from the project (I'm wondering if that might be true) then who knows what we'll get.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
As long as Gensler is still designing it, I think we can still expect a nice building. If they've been removed from the project (I'm wondering if that might be true) then who knows what we'll get.
Honestly, I think JW Marriott should be Austin's main convention center hotel. I'd like to see smaller hotel projects like 416, Aloft, AND YES, even zaza grow up next. Manchester seems to have many problems. I don't even need to know details .....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:35 AM

Wonder how long before the San Diego Reader picks up on this breaking news from Skyscraperpage.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:14 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I remember this. Oddly enough I was interning with Balfour Beatty (The GC) on this project and I repeatedly told people that was not happening. Hah!
Did Balfour Beaty bid on this project? The construction contract was awarded to Hunt Construction Group in May 2014. Where does Balfour fit in?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Wonder how long before the San Diego Reader picks up on this breaking news from Skyscraperpage.
They're waiting for Spaceman to chime in so they can quote him again.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 AM

And another thing. This is still a five star Fairmont Hotel, and they only attach their name to nice looking projects from what I can tell. Hopefully that will keep this from becoming ugly.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
And another thing. This is still a five star Fairmont Hotel, and they only attach their name to nice looking projects from what I can tell. Hopefully that will keep this from becoming ugly.
Have you seen the Fairmont in downtown Dallas? It is in a generic concrete and glass box built back in the 1970s. I believe it started out life as the first Fairmont outside of SF. It was the shizzle back then, but it has not aged well.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I was speaking about the Austonian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Did Balfour Beaty bid on this project? The construction contract was awarded to Hunt Construction Group in May 2014. Where does Balfour fit in?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
They're waiting for Spaceman to chime in so they can quote him again.
I have nothing clever to say except that I'm not happy about this ....I just had info a while back that this project was in trouble....The Waller Creek-Rainey Street area seems to be a bit more troublesome when it comes to building large ventures

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:07 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm disappointed that it won't be as tall as they planned. If it's still a 400'+ tower, I'll be content as long as it's not an ugly monstrosity. Keep the glass and sleek design. I'm not sure what a spire would look like on a short building. What if the roof is 420 and they put a 100' spire? Ridiculous?

We still have opportunities for some 700'+ towers, so this isn't the end of the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin