HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 9:43 PM

re: Grocery in CC East. Seeing that Loblaws now owns Shoppers, I'm guessing the Shoppers in CC East could be turned into a Loblaws grocery?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 10:03 PM

Sorry need to edit myself. I did see a proposal for Loblaws as well as the Walmart for CC. For some reason the Loblaws didn't register as I only remember them from the 60s and not as superstore.

I am wondering if the Brand Loblaws is coming back into our market.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:55 PM

Sobeys closure a ‘minor hiccup’ for downtown revitalization

“We’re hearing from those people this is a blow to why they decided to live there … but it isn’t reflection of where downtown is going. It’s a minor hiccup.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sobey...022/story.html

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:23 AM

CTV just did a story on the Corona Shoe shop at Jasper Ave/104 St (in Standard Life), they are closing down after 80 years.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:24 AM
Community Guy

Corona Shoe Renew on 104st south of Jasper closing after 3 generations of operation.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:49 AM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:18 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
CTV just did a story on the Corona Shoe shop at Jasper Ave/104 St (in Standard Life), they are closing down after 80 years.
That's too bad, but their shoe selection sucks balls. I usually check there first, but it's nothing but old man shoes with tassels.

I will miss their skate sharpening though....that was extremely handy.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 2:18 PM
Community Guy

^sharpening indeed... argh

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:38 PM

Chris Killingsworth @ckillingsworth
High Grade Denim Gallery opens today on @4thStPromenade! Another great local retailer coming downtown @DECLorg

I'm assuming where Coup was?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
Chris Killingsworth @ckillingsworth
High Grade Denim Gallery opens today on @4thStPromenade! Another great local retailer coming downtown @DECLorg

I'm assuming where Coup was?
http://scout.rawrdenim.com/stores/co...-denim-gallery

sp[otted this as well: on-line store

http://www.highgradeclothingonline.com/

"ABOUT US
Since 1995 High Grade Clothing has been carrying the best Premium denim, streetwear and fashion brands. We are located on Europa BLVD. of the famed West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Our philosopy has always been to search out cool new brands and products for our local Label savy customer.

Many of the poplular brands you see today were probably pioneered in our area by High Grade Clothing. Our brand mix for Men and Women consists of jean labels such as Diesel, Levis, Naked and Famous, Nudie, Denham, Unbranded, United, Paige, Current Elliott and Big John. Popular streetwear brands such as The Hundreds, Undefeated, Stussy, Joyrich, Eleven Paris, and Obey and our Fashion Brands consist of Helmut Lang, Elizabeth and James, Clu, Jeremy Scott, Diesel Black Gold and Nobis just to name a few.

High Grade is known for carrying a very large selection of each brand we decide to represent.

We pride ourselves in having one of the largest Premium Denim selections in Western Canada.

High Grade Clothing
2414 8882 170 St. N.W
Edmonton, Ab, Canada
T5T 4M2
Tel: (780) 481-4640 Fax: (780) 481-8381"

Last edited by EdmTrekker; Jul 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:51 PM

^nice. Great addition.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:12 AM
Urbis Maximus

^A very good addition indeed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:50 PM
Community Guy

Great to see the space filled so quickly.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:55 PM

Is that the same High Grade that was previously in City Centre Mall, and previously in Manulife?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 9:07 PM
Community Guy

Also, pop up fruit stand!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 3:02 AM

I'm not exactly sure where to place this question so I figured this was as good a spot as any.

Does downtown/inner city Edmonton have any real pedestrian café /retail/bar corridors? I guess something like Whyte but on the downtown side of the river. I google Edmonton and "walk" along the streets and everything seems so incredibly disjointed.

A restaurant here, office there, beside a parking lot.......there doesn't seem to be any one long pedestrian friendly route. Is there any good people watching street like Vancouver's Davie/Denman/Robson or Toronto & Montreal all over the place. Even London Ontario has 6 solid blocks of cafes, restaurants, shopping, and bars without a single gap......Richmond Row.

I saw a website for 124th street and went on streetview and it looked ghastly.
Where do downtowners go to have a coffee for an hour and watch the people go by?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 3:17 AM

Edmonton's downtown urban fabric is a bit disjointed, admittedly, but improving every year. Jasper Ave in a few stretches isn't too bad, but I guess the main corridor for going out to right downtown would be 104th Street between Jasper and 104 Aves. Lots of trendy restaurants, bars, and shops. It's also where the City Market is held every Saturday from May long thru Thanksgiving, right on the street, which is closed to vehicles. Rice Howard Way is also improving tremendously with new restaurants and bars like Tres Carnales, Hundred, Craft, etc. Not exactly a "corridor", but the Arts District around Churchill Square is a popular destination too, probably the most popular for people watching purposes.

124th isn't that bad, but could be a lot better. It's quirky and hodge-podge-y though, that's for sure. But there is a ton of eclectic businesses on that street. I just wish it had more pedestrian density. There's also 97th Street through Chinatown North which is pretty walkable though often overlooked. It isn't really the place office workers go on lunch break, though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 4:24 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I laughed out loud when I saw this. Good for Emily. Always such a character in Edmonton's rave scene. Been quite a few years since I last talked to her.

Glitter Bubbles owner turns love of party clothes into thriving business

Quote:
EDMONTON - By day, Emily Lamoureux is a journeyman carpenter who wears dirty coveralls and steel-toed boots.

By night, she changes into a bubblicious dance gal, sometimes spotted on Whyte Avenue in one of her glittery, homemade tutus, matching tube top and curly wig, licking a lollipop and carrying balloons.

In 2008, Lamoureux, 27, launched her business Glitter Bubbles, selling her own line of tutus and matching outfits. The Journal spoke with her about that business.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 6:03 AM

I think Edmonton really needs an overhaul at it's urban planning dept.

Getting more people and businesses downtown is only half the battle. While Edmonton seems to slowly but surely progressing in these two area, making the downtown pedestrian friendly is equally important.

Edmonton desperately needs to concentrate on one corridor for shopping, dinning, cafes, entertainment etc so that when people are downtown they don't feel isolated and unsafe. Also nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd which is why streets like Yonge, St.Chatherines, and Granville are so successful. You can just wonder down the street and let all the urbanity take you in.

Jasper has potential but only if they widen the sidewalks and/or get rid of a lane of traffic each way. Even then it will be hard because there are so many vacant lots and office buildings intermingled that inhibit the urban experience. It is far more successful when cities have a true main drag for people watching then a bunch of disjointed buildings of all different uses.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 3:58 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I think Edmonton really needs an overhaul at it's urban planning dept.

Getting more people and businesses downtown is only half the battle. While Edmonton seems to slowly but surely progressing in these two area, making the downtown pedestrian friendly is equally important.

Edmonton desperately needs to concentrate on one corridor for shopping, dinning, cafes, entertainment etc so that when people are downtown they don't feel isolated and unsafe. Also nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd which is why streets like Yonge, St.Chatherines, and Granville are so successful. You can just wonder down the street and let all the urbanity take you in.

Jasper has potential but only if they widen the sidewalks and/or get rid of a lane of traffic each way. Even then it will be hard because there are so many vacant lots and office buildings intermingled that inhibit the urban experience. It is far more successful when cities have a true main drag for people watching then a bunch of disjointed buildings of all different uses.
It has little to do with the City's planning department and more to do with market realities. Edmonton has clusters of pedestrian-oriented activity zones. Some examples are 104 Street bet'n Jasper and 102 Ave, Rice Howard Way, 124 Street bet'n 102 and 104 Aves, 124 Street bet'n 107 and 109 Aves. Many of these have recently picked up in activity. As these areas expand the gaps will decrease. New buildings will offer new retail space for new businesses where surface parking used to be, old buildings will be renovated. Filling in these gaps comes with market demand. The demand for commercial/retail services will increase as more condos and office buildings are built. The more activity that is generated will attract those living outside of the downtown to the area. We've already started to see this happen and I believe the arena district will give the area another boost. Downtown has improved over the past 10 years but I think we'll see even more improvement in 5 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton