HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 1:33 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Beaumont Expansion

Looks like there is going to be a fight between Leduc County and Beaumont over this. Leduc County officials appear to not have been notified about the lettering to County residents.

CBC News

Quote:
Beaumont's expansion plans irk neighbouring county

Push is coming to shove over Beaumont's annexation plans in Leduc County south of Edmonton.

The county is upset after learning of the bedroom community's plans to annex 24 quarters of its land.

“It is puzzling to say the least, why proper protocol was not followed or failing that, why simple courtesy didn’t prevail," said county mayor John Whaley in a media release. "This is not how to treat neighbours, especially when so much is at stake.”

Whaley said he only learned about the plan when asked about them by equally-surprised county residents who received letters telling them their taxes and addresses will soon shift to Beaumont, he said

When residents called county officials for clarification, they were unable to properly respond and felt blindsided by what amounts to a hostile land grab, said Leila Daoud, communications coordinator.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:00 AM

Capital Region Board will have something to say about this...long before Municipal Affairs. My guess is this provides Edmonton the opportunity again to address the request for 2008 onward for Edmonton to annex east side of QE2 to south of the airport. It makes sense.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:06 AM
Urbis Maximus

While Beaumont may get more land, they'll likely have a tough time justifying the approval of future ASP's through the CRB.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Beaumont 'land grab' draws fire

Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Beaumont's surprise proposal to annex 24 quarter-sections of land feels like a hostile land grab, says Leduc County's mayor.

Mayor John Whaley said Monday he is concerned that he only learned of Beaumont's ambitions at a breakfast meeting last Wednesday - the morning after Beaumont town council passed a resolution to begin negotiations with Leduc County about the annexation...

© Edmonton Journal 2012

Copyright © 2012 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...7cf43&sponsor=

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:10 PM
DRINK

I seem to be getting conflicting info. Does the CRB have any actual say in the annexation process, or is it just a matter between Leduc County and Beamont?

There is certianly no shortage of interesting land maneuvers in Leduc County these days.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 5:27 PM
Community Guy

CRB does NOT have jurisdiction for annexation.

They DO have a say in land use and planning.

http://capitalregionboard.ab.ca/about

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:47 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Exactly. So while Beaumont 'may' be able to annex more land (amount of land still unknown) the approval of future Area Structure Plans within these new areas may not receive support from the CRB. It depends on what type of land uses are planned.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:13 PM

I like the idea of Baumont expanding much better than the idea of Leduc building a whole new town just one mile west, as they proposed last year.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
I like the idea of Baumont expanding much better than the idea of Leduc building a whole new town just one mile west, as they proposed last year.
Exactly...East Vistas was a dumb idea. Allowing Beaumont to grow makes much more sense!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:09 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbantown View Post
Exactly...East Vistas was a dumb idea. Allowing Beaumont to grow makes much more sense!
It was ridiculous. I never understood why the County would want to develop more residential land given that they collect significantly less tax revenue and it requires more services (and cost to provide services). They had it made given that the bulk of their tax revenue came from industrial and commercial properties. Foolish if you ask me.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton