HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 1:54 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4567 View Post
That would go against the approved design for phase 4. It features the office in the centre with the loading bay fronting Harris Road and the employee parking in the back abutting the residential development. Studies were done for truck traffic here and not like "normal" vehicular traffic. Would trigger a redesign if that were the case.

You can see it on page 4 here https://pittmeadows.ca.granicus.com/...meta_id=146049
I figured as much. An interesting site for Costco would be the Katzie reserve next to the Golden Ears Bridge on the Pitt Meadows side >>

https://goo.gl/maps/kiqK7ordyYpZuKz77

just like they did in SW Calgary they could do a 99 year (or what have you) lease for land for a store. And not need any city approval.

another prime reserve site would be Langley 5 in East Maple Ridge here >> https://goo.gl/maps/yLMeJ4kt77zfhngDA

or Whonnock 1 again in East Maple Ridge >> https://goo.gl/maps/G2X9RXfsJezm878U8

Coquitlam 2 in Poco is interesting as well >> https://goo.gl/maps/888tH86dhNS5Vw6Q8

then in North Vancouver Capilano Indian Reserve No. 5 has TONES of space >> https://goo.gl/maps/66KBACBNFePDEaw76

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:19 PM
cities|transit|croissants

If you're looking for examples that just have structured parking, there's one in Pentagon City, Virginia. It basically sucks, and there's still a surface parking lot, but most of the parking is structured.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
If you're looking for examples that just have structured parking, there's one in Pentagon City, Virginia. It basically sucks, and there's still a surface parking lot, but most of the parking is structured.
nice thanks for the link!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:37 AM

I visited a Costco on the outskirts of Tokyo, and thought that it was weird that the store was on the bottom 2 floors, and the parking was on the upper floors. I thought that it would be the other way around.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:49 AM

If someone has the time to crunch some numbers to see how the Greater Vancouver area in underserved by Costcos, here is a link to a report about Costco expansion in the States. It has population data per store radius etc. in it.

https://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/d...d-7ad66bb4c2ee

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
If someone has the time to crunch some numbers to see how the Greater Vancouver area in underserved by Costcos, here is a link to a report about Costco expansion in the States. It has population data per store radius etc. in it.

https://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/d...d-7ad66bb4c2ee
Without doing the math, I'd wager that Costco is actually overrepresented compared to other areas. Once upon a time, we had both Price Club and Costco before the latter bought the former, and we never really saw those close. We have a stronger Costco presence in the lower mainland than most places.

Cash and carry type business grocery services are definitely something that seems lacking in the Vancouver area, though, and a Costco Business Centre would help to fill this gap.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 2:20 AM

Surrey/South of the Fraser could use at least 1 or 2 more, the one they have is insanely busy.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 5:11 AM

Interesting West San Jose Costco proposal with rooftop parking.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...e-in-san-jose/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 5:27 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
I visited a Costco on the outskirts of Tokyo, and thought that it was weird that the store was on the bottom 2 floors, and the parking was on the upper floors. I thought that it would be the other way around.
I'm going to imagine it's easier to deliver pallets to the ground floor, though... and come to think of it... I don't recall much in the way of underground parking anywhere in Japan. Restaurants on stilts, yes... with parking underneath.... or structures... but very little underground. Likely due to earthquakes... or perhaps because underground ROWs are reserved for trains?

EDIT: I've been to a couple of Costcos in Japan in the Osaka area. One in Izumi ( which is kind of an in-between area between Osaka and Wakayama that I would liken to Langley if Abbotsford was a larger city ) which has regular parking, and one Amagasaki which is in a more urban area and beside an Aeon mall: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7426.../data=!3m1!1e3

But when you think about it, I don't think it's unusual to have rooftop parking at a Costco. We have rooftop parking at the West Vancouver Mall and even parts of Metrotown centre area rooftop are they not? Seems a good use of space, though you DO have to plan for it in the building structure.

I wonder if they're not in favour due to that high profile parking rooftop collapse in the USA years and years ago.

Last edited by twoNeurons; Nov 29, 2021 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I'm going to imagine it's easier to deliver pallets to the ground floor, though... and come to think of it... I don't recall much in the way of underground parking anywhere in Japan. Restaurants on stilts, yes... with parking underneath.... or structures... but very little underground. Likely due to earthquakes... or perhaps because underground ROWs are reserved for trains?

EDIT: I've been to a couple of Costcos in Japan in the Osaka area. One in Izumi ( which is kind of an in-between area between Osaka and Wakayama that I would liken to Langley if Abbotsford was a larger city ) which has regular parking, and one Amagasaki which is in a more urban area and beside an Aeon mall: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7426.../data=!3m1!1e3

But when you think about it, I don't think it's unusual to have rooftop parking at a Costco. We have rooftop parking at the West Vancouver Mall and even parts of Metrotown centre area rooftop are they not? Seems a good use of space, though you DO have to plan for it in the building structure.

I wonder if they're not in favour due to that high profile parking rooftop collapse in the USA years and years ago.
Underground can also be very costly for large projects with a large amount of vehicle traffic. It is one thing to have underground for a residential tower, but another for commercial/retail which will have a lot of traffic in and out. There is a lot of venting required to keep out carbon monoxide and also from a structural perspective you need to make sure that CO doesn't seep into the building spaces above.

For roof-top, it is similar though the CO issue isn't there. It can be challenging to keep flow moving well in and out of the parking + like you said you have structural considerations. Typically on a roof you don't have to worry about 2938293 cars on top and the structure doesn't need to be as solid.

For Costco in the suburbs though, I think the biggest challenge is an roof top or underground single floor parking would not be adequate. If you look at the primary Costco locations of Langley, Surrey, Richmond, and Coquitlam, all 4 of these locations run out of parking spaces on a regular basis and their existing surface lots are at least double the size of the physical Costco warehouse building.

That means at minimum you have only two options:

1. You would need to build underground or roof-top parking that is 2 to 3 stories high to accommodate the amount of vehicle traffic these locations experience, even during COVID

OR

2. You would need to build additional Costcos to relieve load at the existing locations, aka you'd have to likely build 5 or 6 more Costco centers in the burbs.

Given Costco's margins and a push toward online shopping and delivery services, I'd venture a guess they will stick to cheap surface lots and less locations.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 4:30 AM

pretty big site in Mission on the Market. Have to imagine Costco would love part of this site for a Warehouse with Gasbar.

https://goodmanreport.com/active-lis...ustrial-lands/

I was talking with a Manager at the Langley store recently and I pressed him on the lack of stores in Metro Vancouver compared to Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto and I said I was surprised that they were not working on anything.

and he assured me that they are actually working on a couple sites in Metro Vancouver but said the big issue is the price of real estate as "Costco does not want to spend 5 million an acre" on land and I quote word for word that last part.

I tried to press him on Campbell Heights but didn't get anywhere. This was not a very long and detailed conversation and I was already pressing him so I could not really get much more.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:27 PM

Kelowna got their new Costco this month I believe

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Kelowna got their new Costco this month I believe
Hundreds line up before dawn for first day of Kelowna’s new Costco

https://globalnews.ca/news/8627095/b...as-new-costco/

oh ya easily the biggest Event in Kelowna since the Queen visited in 1983

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 2:09 PM

Does Kelowna have two Costcos?

Costco could convert the old Burnaby location near production way to a business centre Costco to at least have one in the Lower Mainland.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 2:28 PM

No, the old Costco shut down. The new Costco is a standard 160,000 sq ft vs. the old 130,000 sq ft warehouse.

Costco tends to have one Costco for every 250,000 people on average. Vancouver is quite underserved by that metric.

I love Edmonton's business centre. Anyone need a $5,500 stand mixer?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
No, the old Costco shut down. The new Costco is a standard 160,000 sq ft vs. the old 130,000 sq ft warehouse.

Costco tends to have one Costco for every 250,000 people on average. Vancouver is quite underserved by that metric.

I love Edmonton's business centre. Anyone need a $5,500 stand mixer?
Based on this, Vancouver Metro should have at least 2 more warehouses.

Interesting that St. John's, NL (Metro area population of 200k) has the largest Costco in Canada at 182k sq ft. This is a regular Costco that also sells a selection of items from Costco Business Centre inventory.

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 9:15 PM

I am gonna post updated numbers I ran that were posted in another thread >>

-Calgary has 7 (including Ottoks) at 1.55 million people metro

-Edmonton has 8 (1 is a Business Center) at 1.45 million people metro

-Ottawa has 6 (including a new Business Center) at 1.45 million people metro

-Metro Vancouver has .... 9 .... at 3 million+ people if you include Abbotsford\Mission\Chilliwack.
... NINE ........ we are massively under served.

per capita

Calgary 1 Costco per 221,000 people
Edmonton 1 Costco per 181,000 people
Ottawa 1 Costco per 241,000 people
Vancouver 1 Costco per 333,000 people

Edmonton has 84% more Costco's per capita than us ..... at Edmonton numbers we are looking at 16-17 Costco locations in Metro + the valley.....as I said we have 9 now. that is a very crazy disparity.

I will run the Seattle numbers now >>

Seattle-Tacoma, WA Combined Statistical Area area >> 4,953,42 (this is similar to Metro Vancouver + The Valley

UPDATE (I counted again and I think its 23 locations) >>

I count 23 open now (including a Business center) ... and they have 2 new locations under way. 1 in Lake Stevens and 1 in North Seattle

so thats

Seattle has 1 Costco per 215,000 people now and soon 198,000

Last edited by hollywoodnorth; Jun 9, 2022 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:17 AM

LETTERS: Proposed South Surrey Costco must include a gas bar

https://www.peacearchnews.com/opinio...ude-a-gas-bar/

After receiving an email announcing the long-awaited decision made for Costco to come to South Surrey, I felt the need to respond.

would like to get a look at that email.

also .... this is the type of project we need to see Costco do here >>

New Costco Design With Apartments Overhead Has Property Brokers Buzzing

Big Box Retail Chain Usually Isn’t a Ground-Floor Tenant in Multifamily Developments

Costco, a retail chain known for cavernous buildings full of stacked goods, is working on a deal in Los Angeles that would put apartments full of potential customers on top of a planned store.

The Issaquah, Washington-based company is slated to be the ground-floor retail tenant in a redevelopment of a 5-acre commercial site into 800 apartments at 5035 Coliseum St. in the L.A. neighborhood of Baldwin Hills. That's according to developer Thrive Living, an affiliate of New York-based Magnum Real Estate Group, which put out a statement and renderings of the project earlier this month.

The developer is seeking approvals from the city of Los Angeles to build the project in the dense neighborhood southwest of downtown L.A. That said, the deal may have national retail implications for Costco, a retailer that's typically known for its massive parking lots and stand-alone stores.

pic from and full storey at >> https://www.costar.com/article/89947...rokers-buzzing

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 5:12 AM

YES! But it won’t be anything like that. It’ll be just like all the other Walmart/superstores bs

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 8:51 PM

I think a possible location could be on fraser hwy in the Clayton Heights area, they are coming up with a plan for the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy