HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Is this a serious question ?
Trudeau is hardly "stinking rich". Anyone who owns a crappy bungalow on Vancouver's West Side probably has a similar net worth.

...In 2010, the holdings in Pierre Trudeau’s original numbered company were “butterflied” and split into separate companies.

Justin’s company, had assets worth $1,242,522 as of August 2011, according to a statement prepared by accounting firm BDO.

Of this amount, $958,154 was held in short-term investments and $255,455 in cash.

The Trudeaus are also beneficiaries of another numbered company that receives royalties from their father’s autobiography and other sources — about $10,000 a year, Trudeau estimates....

https://o.canada.com/news/justin-tru...aking-business

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Trudeau is hardly "stinking rich". Anyone who owns a crappy bungalow on Vancouver's West Side probably has a similar net worth.

...In 2010, the holdings in Pierre Trudeau’s original numbered company were “butterflied” and split into separate companies.

Justin’s company, had assets worth $1,242,522 as of August 2011, according to a statement prepared by accounting firm BDO.

Of this amount, $958,154 was held in short-term investments and $255,455 in cash.

The Trudeaus are also beneficiaries of another numbered company that receives royalties from their father’s autobiography and other sources — about $10,000 a year, Trudeau estimates....

https://o.canada.com/news/justin-tru...aking-business
Your forgetting the trust fund among other things. Tax, inheritance planning, and control wise its much better to leave assets in a family trust. While not in the billions I expect the Trudeau's to have anywhere from 10-100 million.

Quote:
According to the Express, Justin Trudeau's net worth is estimated to be more than $13 million as of 2019. While this may seem strikingly high, his inheritance and family business played more of a role in this number than his Prime Minister salary did.
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/just...he-was-elected

Quote:
The Trudeau family wealth originates with Justin’s grandfather, Charles-Émile Trudeau, who made his fortune in Montreal gas stations in the early part of the 20th century. He rolled his money into real estate, carrying the family through the Depression, and also owned part of Montreal’s Belmont amusement park and the Montreal Royals baseball team.
https://globalnews.ca/news/392961/ju...n-inheritance/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 9:19 PM

Let's be honest, Trudeau clearly grew up with and has more money than the average Canadian. But to claim he's part of some "wealthy elite" that is completely disconnected from the reality of average Canadians is a little absurd. He rented with a roommate in South Granville during the 90s; it's not like he was living in the British Properties when he lived here. And that numbered company is his trust fund.

On another note, if you haven't heard immigrants complaining about the cost of living in Vancouver, you don't know enough immigrants.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Let's be honest, Trudeau clearly grew up with and has more money than the average Canadian. But to claim he's part of some "wealthy elite" that is completely disconnected from the reality of average Canadians is a little absurd. He rented with a roommate in South Granville during the 90s; it's not like he was living in the British Properties when he lived here. And that numbered company is his trust fund.

On another note, if you haven't heard immigrants complaining about the cost of living in Vancouver, you don't know enough immigrants.
He was just "slummin it" as a youngster while he always knew his financial security was assured. Its just like the dozens of trust fund babies who go backpacking through Europe in college, but have a trust fund that their bootlegging grandpa set up for them decades ago, which will always provide a steady income. Then they "grow up" and find themselves starting at the top (instead of the bottom) of the corporate pyramid and regale everyone with their "rags to riches' story.

Joostin was born with more money than most people will make in 5 lifetimes. His grandpa was one of the wealthiest Quebecers at that time, and he used to arrive to high school in a limo.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
He was just "slummin it" as a youngster while he always knew his financial security was assured. Its just like the dozens of trust fund babies who go backpacking through Europe in college, but have a trust fund that their bootlegging grandpa set up for them decades ago, which will always provide a steady income. Then they "grow up" and find themselves starting at the top (instead of the bottom) of the corporate pyramid and regale everyone with their "rags to riches' story.

Joostin was born with more money than most people will make in 5 lifetimes. His grandpa was one of the wealthiest Quebecers at that time, and he used to arrive to high school in a limo.
I never said he wasn't wealthy and financially secure, but I'm sure he saw plenty while living and commuting around the Lower Mainland. All I'm saying is that he wasn't completely sheltered before going into politics.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:51 AM

Justin Trudeau's car is worth $1 million. I think that qualifies as "wealthy elite".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Was that roommate his best friend Ingvaldson? Perhaps they shared an apartment because they wanted to rather than because they needed to. I remember those two lived together for a long time. Several of my university friends shared apartments even though they could afford not to.

That said I don’t think a persons wealth/background disqualifies them. We have had good politicians from rich and poor backgrounds. Sure a rags to riches story is respectable but so is someone that inherits riches and actually works to get educated and build on that inheritance.

That being said the Trudeau family is quite wealthy. Trudeau may not directly hold it but make no mistake the family itself is within Canada’s elites.

In the end once you have a charitable foundation with your last name you know that family is rich.

Last edited by misher; Mar 3, 2020 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Justin Trudeau's car is worth $1 million. I think that qualifies as "wealthy elite".
I don't see how inheriting a car from your father makes you out of touch.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't see how inheriting a car from your father makes you out of touch.
Being rich doesn't mean your "out of touch". Some rich parents don't give their kids anything.

Living in a big city, being surrounded by super progressive youth movements, and never having worked a laborious job in your life might.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Being rich doesn't mean your "out of touch". Some rich parents don't give their kids anything.

Living in a big city, being surrounded by super progressive youth movements, and never having worked a laborious job in your life might.
What does physical labour have to do with anything?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I know its not logical but it changes your perspective on a lot of things. We have terms for blue and white collar jobs for a reason. I work with both and there's often perspectives that each don't understand about the other.

One obvious example is white collars often demand perfection and schedule while blue collars understand that things aren't perfect and appointments will often not be on schedule due to traffic and previous appointments. Another is that blue collar work days start at 6-7am while white collar workdays start later at 8-9am. White collar people do not accept when you tell them parts are on order or that jobs are scheduled for a day that's not today.

Of course this is my personal opinion rather than fact.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I think he just means working long hours at a shit job. Not everyone gets to experience doing that for years at a time. It changes perspective on the daily grind.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
I think he just means working long hours at a shit job. Not everyone gets to experience doing that for years at a time. It changes perspective on the daily grind.
Working long hours at minimum wage jobs just motivated me to stay in school.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Hah I miss landscaping, using your brain and dealing with people sucks. Don't miss fast food though. I wouldn't say blue collar jobs are "shit" now since the wages for labour have gone up significantly but yes I agree it gives you experience and changes your perspective. If I could go back I definitely would have been an elevator mechanic.

I think the biggest point that's missed by Trudeau is that not everything goes according to plan and nothing is perfect. I think he's beginning to grow up from that idealistic youth and has begun to realize that actions have consequences and things aren't black and white. Working as a teacher you probably won't encounter situations where there is no good solution, every test has a right and a wrong answer in education. In the real world however every solution is partially correct. Even Neo-Nazis are partially correct in some of their statements. Everyone makes some decent points.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
I think the biggest point that's missed by Trudeau is that not everything goes according to plan and nothing is perfect. I think he's beginning to grow up from that idealistic youth and has begun to realize that actions have consequences and things aren't black and white. Working as a teacher you probably won't encounter situations where there is no good solution, every test has a right and a wrong answer in education. In the real world however every solution is partially correct.
Teachers do more than just mark tests. Teachers are dispute moderators, group leaders, and of course teachers as well. You're acting like he was an accountant just crunching objective factual numbers all day, when really he almost certainly had to deal with plenty of solutions with "no good solution". Misbehaving/underperforming students, lesson plans, parent feedback, time allocation, etc.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Teachers do more than just mark tests. Teachers are dispute moderators, group leaders, and of course teachers as well. You're acting like he was an accountant just crunching objective factual numbers all day, when really he almost certainly had to deal with plenty of solutions with "no good solution". Misbehaving/underperforming students, lesson plans, parent feedback, time allocation, etc.
Hmmm... lots of rumours surrounding Trudeau's time teaching in Vancity though so I'm not sure if this is the strongest approach to the point you are looking to make.

But I do agree that teachers don't get the public credit they deserve.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
One obvious example is white collars often demand perfection and schedule while blue collars understand that things aren't perfect and appointments will often not be on schedule due to traffic and previous appointments.
That's a thing determined by good or bad bosses - hardly endemic to office culture.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Hmmm... lots of rumours surrounding Trudeau's time teaching in Vancity though so I'm not sure if this is the strongest approach to the point you are looking to make.

But I do agree that teachers don't get the public credit they deserve.
I've heard rumours too and, other the glaringly bad blackface scandal, none of which were bad.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I've heard rumours too and, other the glaringly bad blackface scandal, none of which were bad.
There was the molestation incident. Honestly it’s kind of surprising that Trudeau didn’t resign after either of these incidents.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:59 PM

I believe everyone should have at least entry level experience working a labour job (washing cars, mowing lawns, digging holes), a desk/white collar job (entering data, administration) and customer service/retail (call centre, working at a clothing store). This helps individuals become more well rounded and understand different perspectives of what other people experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy