HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
I'm not defending. The Act is just not set up that way.
Having any social services is ripe for abuse from both locals and foreigners. Thats why you do your best to make sure they are provided temporarily and require certain things to be met (going to job interviews, working a certain amount of hours, I suggest requiring volunteer hours though that's not done currently, etc).

Honestly foreigners should be charged for health care here (and be deported if they can't pay up) and should not receive any benefits and the same goes for permanent residents who do not have citizenship. The PR system is ripe for abuse because PR's get most of the benefits of citizenship. Citizenship should require someone paying a certain amount of taxes or at least working a few years full-time while paying taxes and most social support services should be tied to citizenship. If we can't even afford to help our own people (judging by our 1 year+ wait times in hospitals for many procedures) why are we helping people who don't have citizenship yet. Don't let political correctness ruin our system.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:36 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Having any social services is ripe for abuse from both locals and foreigners. Thats why you do your best to make sure they are provided temporarily and require certain things to be met (going to job interviews, working a certain amount of hours, I suggest requiring volunteer hours though that's not done currently, etc).

Honestly foreigners should be charged for health care here (and be deported if they can't pay up) and should not receive any benefits and the same goes for permanent residents who do not have citizenship. The PR system is ripe for abuse because PR's get most of the benefits of citizenship. Citizenship should require someone paying a certain amount of taxes or at least working a few years full-time while paying taxes and most social support services should be tied to citizenship. If we can't even afford to help our own people (judging by our 1 year+ wait times in hospitals for many procedures) why are we helping people who don't have citizenship yet. Don't let political correctness ruin our system.
My parents don't have citizenship. Are you telling me that my parents should be kicked out of this country if they lose their jobs and can not find new ones even though they have been here for 44 years?

The PR system to not ripe for abuse but abuse does happen. It's price of doing business. The real value here is not the wife, it's her kids. Kids born in Canada is expensive.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
My parents don't have citizenship. Are you telling me that my parents should be kicked out of this country if they lose their jobs and can not find new ones even though they have been here for 44 years?

The PR system to not ripe for abuse but abuse does happen. It's price of doing business. The real value here is not the wife, it's her kids. Kids born in Canada is expensive.
How can you not have citizenship after 44 years? The idea of PR is its a tryout for citizenship. If they didn't apply for it then they perhaps need better incentive to do so. If they couldn't after working for 5+ years then thats on the government to change.

And the idea of kids is they are a fixed investment. Just make sure they stay here and work to pay taxes at the end.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
How can you not have citizenship after 44 years? The idea of PR is its a tryout for citizenship. If they didn't apply for it then they perhaps need better incentive to do so. If they couldn't after working for 5+ years then thats on the government to change.
I can think of several reasons just off the dome.

A) Expatriates.
B) People who like Canada, but don't want to give up their old country - for example, Singapore doesn't recognize dual citizenship and will make you choose.
C) People who don't want to be Canadian, but who can't just go back (post-secondary studies, kids, lack of money, etc).
D) People who don't want to be Canadian, and can go back, but would rather stay for whatever reason. May leave at any time.
D1) ^ Same as D, but the motive is to intentionally freeload.

I understand the need to protect against D1, but surely there's ways to do so without screwing the others?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:04 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I can think of several reasons just off the dome.

A) Expatriates.
B) People who like Canada, but don't want to give up their old country - for example, Singapore doesn't recognize dual citizenship and will make you choose.
C) People who don't want to be Canadian, but who can't just go back (post-secondary studies, kids, lack of money, etc).
D) People who don't want to be Canadian, and can go back, but would rather stay for whatever reason. May leave at any time.
D1) ^ Same as D, but the motive is to intentionally freeload.

I understand the need to protect against D1, but surely there's ways to do so without screwing the others?
plus its a pain in the ass to apply for citizenship and there is a cost involved.

my parents are seniors now so I believe the priced is reduced now. And my dad is tired of doing the PR thing every 5 years, so who knows. Maybe he'll get off his ass and do it.

Getting citizenship is also emotionally taxing. Of course, there is a feeling of getting something, but there is also a feeling of losing something. People born here don't get that.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:44 AM
retro_orange

Full 40 min investigation

Video Link

Quote:

So-called golden visas are being used by rich foreigners seeking to gain Canadian residency through a controversial Quebec program, despite suspicions of fake documents and dubious assets, a hidden camera investigation reveals. The revelations by the investigative program Enquête pose troubling questions for the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program, which allows foreigners to lend money to the Quebec government in exchange for residency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZSkSBnFBY&t=322s

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
tl;dr?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:41 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
tl;dr?

?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
personally, I think the government should just open the doors and let as many people in as possible (while trying to direct as many people as possible to the Prairies, Atlantic Canada and Northern Canada).
Joking right?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 10:00 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
Joking right?
hell no

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
hell no
hahahaha ok, North Van knows best

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 10:26 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
hahahaha ok, North Van knows best
we just might

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
?
Summary?

I forgot this place is disconnected from much of internet jargon, my bad.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:42 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Summary?

I forgot this place is disconnected from much of internet jargon, my bad.

Ah all good. (I'm only 32 ) See the first post to the thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...26&postcount=1

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 10:57 PM

No wonder Quebec feels like a wealthy province these days. You guys should visit Montreal lol.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 2:44 PM

I actually think that it is a great mistake, or even a failure of the government and it's migration laws. People, keep abusing this "feature" as long as they are allowed to do so. That is exactly why I was always saying that migration laws must be the same for anyone, and no one should be privileged, as that is stupid! That is exactly why I like the Australian immigration laws. They are kind of really strict. Back when my sister migrated to Australia she actually had to hire jamesonlaw.com.au as they are having the best immigration lawyers in there. They helped her a lot.

Last edited by Kensuke; Apr 12, 2021 at 10:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
I actually think that it is a great mistake, or even a failure of the government and it's migration laws.
Well, just like other cities and provinces in Canada, how else can you get foreign money to help pay for your excessive debt?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ontreal-canada

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy