HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Parkview? Just the least creative name ever, but okay....
"Parkview".... a name as inspired as its design.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 7:41 PM

Not to be confused with Parkview West right next door?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:06 PM
you know where I'll be

Well, better it be named after the view from the building than the view of the building......I mean, it sounds a lot more appealing, than say the "Streeterville ShitStack", right?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/daniel-...bino/62/86/b83

251 million
Still targeted 2017
Name could possibly be Parkview
This guy was hired in June this could start soon...

I wonder if the total pricetag of the project was public information before Mr. Gabino revealed in his linked-in profile? At any rate, now we have it!

Oh the kids today with their silly non-anonymous social media......

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 4:01 AM
TL;DR

This site was always known as Parkview East since the days of MCL when they had a second tower planned.

It would be very strange to stop using the Parkview name and use the 451 East Grand address, then go back to using the Parkview name.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 12:14 PM
The City

^ Probably because Related is being lazy and wants to put as little thought into this as possible?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 4:07 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Probably because Related is being lazy and wants to put as little thought into this as possible?
Just wait until they present their plans for that 63 acre development site on Roosevelt. Oh, I don't have information or anything, but basically, Related Midwest sucks so I'm not holding out hope for anything decent for that massive site.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Projected Ground-Breaking

Wasn't this one supposed to begin this month, or am I making that up? I was pretty sure it was all lined up for a late summer ground-breaking. Anybody hear if it's still pretty much on-schedule.

Good news in Crain's this week in terms of the pace of condo sales - what (relatively) little inventory that's available out there is apparently moving pretty quickly.........although for this project, I'm not even sure that Related is going to begin pre-sales until after construction is well underway.......

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Wasn't this one supposed to begin this month, or am I making that up? I was pretty sure it was all lined up for a late summer ground-breaking. Anybody hear if it's still pretty much on-schedule.

Good news in Crain's this week in terms of the pace of condo sales - what (relatively) little inventory that's available out there is apparently moving pretty quickly.........although for this project, I'm not even sure that Related is going to begin pre-sales until after construction is well underway.......
I was actually looking for a date for this the other day. All I could find was a ChiArch article that said the following

Quote:
451 still needs the city’s blessing to move forward. The soonest that could happen would be mid-October.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:52 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Just for everyone's benefit, that is referring to Oct. 2014 - and 'move forward' in terms of entitlement obtaining process.....

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 6:09 PM
MPLSXCHI

Thank you koops65 for the diagram update.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=101

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 10:35 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Thank you koops65 for the diagram update.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=101
Always excited to see a new Chicago drawing hit the site! Thanks koopa65!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:44 AM

Info I just got...

They'd hopefully like to start within the next 6-months

280 rental units

70 condominiums

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:55 AM
you know where I'll be

^ I wonder what the delay is here? They had wanted to be in the ground by now actually - at least with demo/site prep. I'd have figured Related Midwest would want to get a move on and stick to their earlier timetable given that it's been quite a while now since 111 West Wacker has delivered (I'm assuming that tower has now pretty much reached a stabilized occupancy already), and also that the permits seem to now be flowing more regularly out of City Hall (not that the logjam is completely cleared up or anything like that).....

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ I wonder what the delay is here? They had wanted to be in the ground by now actually - at least with demo/site prep. I'd have figured Related Midwest would want to get a move on and stick to their earlier timetable given that it's been quite a while now since 111 West Wacker has delivered (I'm assuming that tower has now pretty much reached a stabilized occupancy already), and also that the permits seem to now be flowing more regularly out of City Hall (not that the logjam is completely cleared up or anything like that).....
I think that Related sold 111 W. Wacker. The may be delayed because of design changes. The number counts of the condo/rental have shifted a bit. I'm not overly concerned about this one.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:01 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Oh, duh - yes, completely forgot they sold it!

I'm not worried at all as well, because:

1) the economy and property markets have much room to run, and they will, and Related has of course, scale, resources and experience for this, and......

2) even if #1 were not in-place, I wouldn't worry about this one because it's a shit tower, and not noteworthy or fundamentally important in any way whatsoever (height is but a footnote - design is what makes a difference), so I couldn't even fake giving a shit about this tower in particular. That being stated, as a follower of construction, development and property markets, it of course gets thrown into the analytical mix.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Sep 29, 2015 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:01 PM

^^^ As much as I agree with you, I was just thinking that LaGrange's Park Tower has been improving with age. It doesn't look as cartoony now. I was just up in the Hancock right at the same level as the mansard roof and the copper is actually starting to oxidize in earnest. That will make a huge difference alone. It's also developing some dirt streaks which help hide the hideous beige color of the precast. All we can hope for here is that the massing of this tower is appealing enough that the dirt materials they will use will eventually patina to the point where all the eye focuses on is the massing and texture of the design.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:30 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Interesting observation. Yeah.....maybe........

You know what the single biggest problem I have with Park Tower is - from a detail standpoint (granted it's a pretty big detail!) - obviously apart from this overall type of architecture!? It's the curved form of the balconies. It's the most nonsensical thing to me. Just beyond my comprehension. I mean - WHY?

(And in reflection I quickly realize the silliness of my post - I mean, who overthinks LaGrange?!!? (head bowed in deep embarrassment)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:11 PM
Everywhere all at once

It's quite interesting to me, and this comes from a purely objective standpoint, that New York and Chicago have such different ideas of what's considered good architecture and just generally a good building.

In New York, Robert A.M. Stern is considered a superhero lately for all the revival art-deco-style, limestone or high-quality precast towers that are now either approved or under construction, which likely speaks to the fact that New York's image was shaped by such towers as the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings.

However in Chicago, a city who's heritage is built on modernists ahead of their time like Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies, as well as planners like Daniel Burnham, who praised clean, straight lines and grids, many of you view a similar RAMS building to the ones rising in New York as frivolous and clunky. Whereas one could also consider how buildings like 12 East Roosevelt (which I think is fantastic for Chicago) might be viewed as plain, dated or unimaginative in New York.

Neither perspectives are necessarily right or wrong, but I think it speaks to the fact that the two cities are far more dissimilar than many of us even realize. I personally think this building will likely turn out great, if 15 Central Park West and 30 Park Place are any indication, so I would encourage you guys to not worry. I also think it'll inject a much-needed shaking up in the midst of the uninterrupted glassitecture that is Streeterville. However I understand where all the haters are coming from, and it's quite interesting to me the difference in perspectives. I mean, I may get burned at the stake for this, but from the perspective of a native New Yorker, I don't fully detest Lucien LaGrange's buildings...it's all a matter of perspectives.

Food for thought

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Info I just got...

They'd hopefully like to start within the next 6-months

280 rental units

70 condominiums
Seriously, these apartments are going to be as expensive as shit. They will definitely test the uppermost crust of the downtown Chicago rental market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive