HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:13 AM

Shot this a few days ago

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:11 PM

I love this tower, but at this point only one thing matters to me. That single dark tile of glass on the top of the north face. Why is it there? Was it a mistake? Is to going to be corrected? If it was not a mistake, then what is the rationale for one dark tile? If there were several then I could understand the concept of wraping the pixalation around the edge a bit, I would not like it, but I would understand.

Seriously, someone help. This is like a splinter in my brain... driving me mad.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Probably a missed piece they didn't get to work on yet (little black spots on the facade). No need to go into a deep psychedelic state of questioning about the rationality of the lone dark piece. The top square looks like it might be a contruction piece or some sort of assembly device.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:03 PM
BANNED

There are many panes of glass throughout the facade that are still missing, so I would simply suggest patience, my friend.

We have our own problems here in Chicago, but I'm confident that they will also be fixed in time..

Courtesy: Bvictor

..No problems with our hockey team though

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
There are many panes of glass throughout the facade that are still missing, so I would simply suggest patience, my friend.

We have our own problems here in Chicago, but I'm confident that they will also be fixed in time..

Courtesy: Bvictor

..No problems with our hockey team though
Hush. Just wait till football season starts... wait... nevermind.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:26 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

If you don't love this, then I don't know what's wrong.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If you don't love this, then I don't know what's wrong.
I was just going to say something like that. The entry is the near perfect. It is hard to imagine a more elegant solution.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 12:40 PM

Business Insider took a stroll around the new Park Hyatt Hotel inside One 57, here are some of the interior shots. More in depth shots and details you can find at the link.

Quote:
Step Inside The Swankiest New Hotel In New York City

Business Insider
Melia Robinson
04 September 2014

Earlier this month, the luxury hotel chain Park Hyatt opened its flagship New York location, Park Hyatt New York.

Housed inside the near-complete condo One57 on 57th Street, Park Hyatt is 25 floors of sheer elegance and opulence.

Rumor has it Park Hyatt New York could become the first new five-star hotel in New York in more than 11 years. The rating is determined by the venerable Forbes Travel Guide, which will send an inspector (and a second anonymous inspector) to review the hotel in the next six months.

New York currently has eight 5-star hotels, the 11-year-old Mandarin Oriental being the most recently anointed. Should Park Hyatt qualify for the Forbes Travel Guide's top rating, it has to go above and beyond, providing "room amenities including fresh flowers and wine by the glass presented in the bottle and poured by room-service staff."

http://www.businessinsider.com/park-...ur-2014-8?op=1

As much as I'm sure the hotel is going to be great, all the stone inside is a little over the top. Doesn't quite give you that warm and welcoming feel.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:35 PM

Wow! Gosh! It's beautiful!!!! I am really like it lots. It's perfect!!!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 12:50 PM
New Yorker for life

It's very nice. Will it be the nicest on 57th? Maybe not.

Francisco Carbajal

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:33 AM

These are from the last week of August.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 10:54 PM

Not a fan of this tower. Nothing to do with its proximity to Central Park. And I like its shape. But imo the checkered pattern of dark and light blue tiles, gives the facade a cluttered and garish impression. Especially at the top where it gets darker for some reason. It messes with my OCD. I think it would be a pretty good tower if the glass was all consistent, or at least if the contrast between the tiles wasn't so stark.

I don't expect people to agree with me, but just stating my opinion. Hopefully I'll warm to it eventually.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's very nice. Will it be the nicest on 57th? Maybe not.
Its my personal Favorite supertall in New York at the moment

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:41 AM

I wonder how sold out the units are.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 6:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i just realized the sf salesforce tower will be a little taller than this one.

really making me think about what salesforce will look like after it goes up in sf.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 12:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward 2000 View Post
I wonder how sold out the units are.
I think it's something like 70%, but sales have slowed as new product begins to take shape. Here's a comparison of various developments, don't know how accurate it is...

http://merihmorgan.com/new-developments-ny/

But this makes sense.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-as-sales-slow

NYC Luxury-Condo Buyers Await New Towers as Sales Slow

By Oshrat Carmiel
September 24, 2014

Quote:
Sales at One57, the ultra-luxury Manhattan condominium tower that set off a high-end residential construction boom, have slowed to a trickle amid competition from newer properties reaching the market.

Only two units at Extell Development Co.’s Midtown property went under contract this year through June 30, according to filings on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, where the company sells debt to investors. There were no sales in the final three months of 2013 at the building, which had earlier found buyers for two penthouses at more than $90 million each. About 25 of the 94 units on the market were unsold as of June 30, the filings show.

“This is not a normal pace,” Jonathan Miller, president of New York-based appraiser Miller Samuel Inc., said in an interview. “This building had many price increases when it was the only building out there, so maybe they overdid it. In other words, the sky is not the limit.”

The slowdown at One57, the 1,004-foot (306-meter) tower piercing the sky near the southern end of Central Park, indicates buyers are pulling back on deals at buildings already on the market in anticipation of more choices for new super-luxury homes. At least six residential properties aimed at multimillionaires, including Zeckendorf Development Co.’s 520 Park Ave. and Vornado Realty Trust’s 220 Central Park South, are under construction in or near Midtown, with plans to begin sales in the coming year.

“People are feeling that, at that kind of price, when they know and read about more new development coming, they’re slower to do a deal,” said Ryan Schleis, vice president of research and analytics at Corcoran Sunshine. “They want to see what the other options are.”

At One57, where sales began in 2011, the units that have been slow to find buyers are those adjacent to the construction crane, Extell filings on the Tel Aviv exchange show.

Crews working on the 90-story skyscraper used those units to house building materials, making it difficult for potential buyers to view them.

A slowdown in contracts is natural for an under-construction property that has sold as many as 70 percent of its units, Dvorett said in the e-mail. Deals will pick up once clients can enter the completed building and see actual homes rather than make decisions based on floor plans, he said.

.....The building’s West 57th Street neighborhood, fringing Central Park, has emerged as a billionaires district, where developers are racing to build skyscrapers of record-setting heights aimed at buyers seeking an investment haven. Macklowe Properties and CIM Group’s 432 Park Ave. has surpassed One57 in height and is slated to reach 1,397 feet when completed. A penthouse there is under contract for $95 million.

The high-end construction boom has spread south. Adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art on 53rd Street and Sixth Avenue, Singapore-based Pontiac Land Group is joining Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Hines to build a 1,050-foot condo tower with 145 apartments. Sales are starting in the first quarter. China Vanke Co. (2202), that nation’s biggest publicly traded developer, and Aby Rosen’s RFR Holding LLC are working on a 61-story property at Lexington Avenue and 53rd Street, where sales also will begin next year.

“In New York, a new club lasts like five seconds and then there is something new,” said Jacky Teplitzky, a luxury broker with Douglas Elliman Real Estate. “And then the old club, which is not really old, becomes old.”

Prospective buyers considering One57 or 432 Park Ave. increasingly are asking about pricing at Vornado’s 220 Central Park South, which broke ground this year, Teplitzky said. Ninety apartments are planned for that tower, according to the attorney general’s office. Sales haven’t started yet.

The dual-tower project has drawn interest because it will be located at the southern border of Central Park, compared with several blocks west of the park, where One57 and others are. “It will have an unobstructed view,” Teplitzky said. “It’s row one. If you think of One57, it’s like row two.”

Cash-rich investors also are searching for properties beyond Midtown, she said. The same would-be buyers who are interested in towers along the park are inquiring about Silverstein Properties Inc.’s 30 Park Place in lower Manhattan, where 157 condos are being built atop a Four Seasons hotel.

“People are taking a bit longer to to pull the trigger,” Teplitzky said. “Whoever is buying 15, 20, 30 million-dollar apartments, they want to make sure they’re buying the best of the best.”

Other condo projects in the Midtown area include JDS Development Group and Property Markets Group’s planned 1,400-foot tower at 111 W. 57th St., half a block from One57, where sales of the 60 units will start in the second quarter of next year; and Zeckendorf’s 520 Park Ave., with sales beginning in early 2015. A triplex penthouse there will be offered for $130 million, Arthur Zeckendorf said in an interview yesterday, making it New York’s most expensive listing.

Extell also is building about 184 more units at 225 W. 57th St., a project that will reach 1,488 feet and have Manhattan’s first Nordstrom department store at its base, the developer said in its filings in Israel.

Extell expects the unsold units at One57 to find buyers by the end of the year, according to the filings. In the meantime, the developer refinanced its debt on the site, taking out a $337 million mortgage with Deutsche Bank AG in July.

Extell also sold its stake in the 210-room Park Hyatt to Hyatt Hotels Corp. (H:US), rather than keeping a 33.33 percent interest as initially planned, filings show. Hyatt in an Aug. 5 statement said it acquired the entire hotel for about $390 million.

Extell declined to comment on the sale of the hotel stake to Hyatt. The Chicago-based hotel operator bought the property because of its prominent location in a top market, which will boost the brand’s visibility, said Jamie Rothfeld, a Hyatt spokeswoman.

The Park Hyatt’s opening may be the marketing jolt that helps Extell sell the remaining apartments above it, according to Olshan.

“If you’re really rich, you’re thinking, ‘This is a good place to park my money and I don’t have to wait around for the other stuff to be built,’” Olshan said. “It’s new, and it’s done.”

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i just realized the sf salesforce tower will be a little taller than this one.

really making me think about what salesforce will look like after it goes up in sf.
if it goes up...........One57 is just a beautiful addition to the skyline. Not a fan of the darker top either or the mechanical stuff facing Central Park but it's really a gorgeous tower

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
if it goes up...........One57 is just a beautiful addition to the skyline. Not a fan of the darker top either or the mechanical stuff facing Central Park but it's really a gorgeous tower
Salesforce is UC, so it's very likely it is going to get built, concise ring it is in the process now lol

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 2:29 PM
New Yorker for life

I was walking by this tower last night, getting an appreciation for it at street level. It's the brightest thing on the block, but very, very classy. I can see the appeal without even having stepped foot in it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive