HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I loathe those afterthought mechanical boxes. Architects should know what's going on the roof, know the size, and design a way to incorporate it into the design.

As for the base, what's crazy is the glass isn't that bad. It's just totally the wrong color. Did a colorblind person choose it? And the brackets look horrible.
Architects are never responsible for the lack of mechanical screens... almost every client at some point asks the contractor where they can save money (VE) and the screens are almost always the first thing to go...

meanwhile, I know I'll get a lot of flak, but this entire Antunafish design is hideous (or is it Fitzgerald, I can't keep these race-to-the-bottom architects straight)... it reminds me of Philip Johnson's 'lipstick' tower in Manhattan, except with even less integrity... this isn't a 'lipstick' tower, it's a teen's 'lip glitter' tower... it's another 'one liner' with no indication in the design to its use, or any informed relief from the relentless glass pattern (why not a line of semi-recessed balconies?)... such an inadequate vocabulary, every move other than the 'lip gloss' package itself is a very awkward intervention at best... and the base will forever remain an albatross in Greektown...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:27 PM

I understand the critism but I disagree with the balconies. The best view of this tower is from a 45* angle. Looking dead E/W it is way too wide and doesn't feel proportionate to the height. I wish it was a little thinner. From N/S it looks incredible.

Also, yes, very disappointed in the lack of a crown. Big miss both on lighting and daylight asthetics. As if they "stopped short" during construction. Shout out Frank Costanza.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 1:39 AM
Chicago

October 11, 2018

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 12:45 AM

Oct 14

Nov 5

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 1:14 AM

Great update as always Harry. How in the world are they going to install that spandrel glass last?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Great update as always Harry. How in the world are they going to install that spandrel glass last?
Window washers?

Anyway, this site went from horrible parking lot to a beautiful tower(albeit the worst base of the cycle). That's a win

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:33 AM

Nov 14

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:39 AM

So wide!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:49 PM

I think it is referred to as "thick as hell!" by the youngsters.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I think it is referred to as "thick as hell!" by the youngsters.
*thicc

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:30 AM

Looks phenomenal north/south and on the diagonal...way too wide or "thicc" east to west.

They must be planning on using the window washing rig to install the last of that spandrel glass?

Lastly, extremely disappointed this one didn't get the mechanical screen the renderings promised.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:38 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

When I scroll the page it looks like it's rotating...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Looks phenomenal north/south and on the diagonal...way too wide or "thicc" east to west.

They must be planning on using the window washing rig to install the last of that spandrel glass?

Lastly, extremely disappointed this one didn't get the mechanical screen the renderings promised.
If they are using the roof to stage and install the last of the exterior glass, might they be waiting to finish all of that up before installing the mechanical screen?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
If they are using the roof to stage and install the last of the exterior glass, might they be waiting to finish all of that up before installing the mechanical screen?
Doubtful but let's sure hope so!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
From what I can see this could be it. Lots of white hook crane things hanging over the edge helping with the glass installation I'm guessing. Hopefully those will be taken off and screening will go up once the glazing is finished. After all, they need to put mechanicals up there still, right?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 1:37 PM

Sorry all, this is it for this piece of sh*t tower... you can tell from the 'resolution' of the pattern of the glass that there is not intention of taking it any higher...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Sorry all, this is it for this piece of sh*t tower... you can tell from the 'resolution' of the pattern of the glass that there is not intention of taking it any higher...
You can tell from the teal sealant that they aren't done with the mechanical penthouse either. They are going to do something more with it even if it's just a different coat of paint. It's also possible they downsized the screen to some kind of smaller cladding system for just the penthouse. All I know is they ain't leaving it teal...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 10:24 PM

I apologize for the extremely bad quality. I took this with my phone zoomed all the way in.

It seems as if there was some action on the roof today. I can't tell if it is just grey paint (most likely) or something else.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:13 AM

Interesting... thanks for the quick snap Pittsburgh

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:15 PM

General question for anyone with high rise construction knowledge.

Why does this building have such a tall maintenance "box" on top, where a building like The Parker (2 blocks up, also tall-ish high rise) has a relatively low box? I can't see The Parker's roof equipment from street view most of the time, but One South's is easy to spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive