HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 8:35 PM

I'd sell my soul for a BRT line from the U of M Fort Garry campus to Bannatyne campus

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:01 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpish View Post
I actually do think there is a bit of an opportunity for T.O.D around some of the empty land around the Hydro Corridor & Jefferson, and Hydro Corridor & Leila Ave. There is definately some space there for a few high-rises. This route also would serve very well for Amber Trails and that new neighborhood that they are planning on building beyond Amber Trails there (can't remember the name); it could easily be extended long the Hydro Corridor beyond Leila perhaps with a Station by the Walmart there.
T.O.D. doesn't need to be in a field... You can build T.O.D. by redeveloping already developed sites. Rapid Transit might cost more to begin with, but it also doesn't force the City to run the risk of development slowing and those T.O.D. sites to sit as greenfield for any number of years and servicing no one.

If we build Rapid Transit we have T.O.D. opportunities everywhere we have a station.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 10:43 PM

Does anybody know when Winnipeg transit will retire all high floor buses and go to a all low floor fleet just curios. Cause i heard it was suppose to be 2014 but here we are still using high floor buses thanks for your help.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg transit 163-1 View Post
Does anybody know when Winnipeg transit will retire all high floor buses and go to a all low floor fleet just curios. Cause i heard it was suppose to be 2014 but here we are still using high floor buses thanks for your help.
According to the Winnipeg transit facts page they currently have 162 of the high floor buses. I don't think that they are going to drop them all at once as that would have an impact on service.

They will probably go out in groups of 10 -15 as the normal transit purchase tender comes out each year for new buses. I was also under the impression that they are only used now for rush hour service so they may last even longer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:06 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
According to the Winnipeg transit facts page they currently have 162 of the high floor buses. I don't think that they are going to drop them all at once as that would have an impact on service.

They will probably go out in groups of 10 -15 as the normal transit purchase tender comes out each year for new buses. I was also under the impression that they are only used now for rush hour service so they may last even longer.
I knew that we had approximately 100 as recently as 2012 (some 800s, few extra 340-365's, 20ish MCI Classics and the 60, 1994 units). Those numbers must be from 2010/2011, before the other 800s and the plug-door D40 batch (1987) started getting retired. They're currently being used until the Xcelisors come in, at which point, they'll get retired at the very last moment - just like the Classics and D901s before it. We currently have about 40ish D40s left, so the Xcelisor order would technically cover the rest of the D40s. However, it may also cover 991-993, and a few 400s that could not make it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 AM

You may be right, the city did not have a date on their Transit Facts page.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 8:11 PM

Today i saw a 40 foot bus on the number 3 free shuttle. they had a 40 footer on that route on Friday as well so I'm guessing transit is short busses again.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:22 AM

Was reading through the ek committee meeting from Feb 19, and this was part of report 14. Trying to connect the Disraeli at bridge to the marconni pathway.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

IMPLICATIONS OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS
• The City of Winnipeg will be conducting a study to evaluate the most suitable alignment for the
future Eastern Rapid Transit Corridor, including the location of where the corridor will cross the
Red River. The active transportation route connecting the Disraeli Freeway and the Northeast
Pioneers Greenway is within the geographic area of the study and it would be advantageous to
include the planning of this corridor as part of the ERTC study.
o The ERTC is to be a joint project including input from Transit, Public Works, W&W, and
PP&D, with significant public consultation.
o It is anticipated that the ERTC study will require approximately 12-16 months to
complete and is anticipated that an RFP for its completion to be issued in early 2015.
o Including the study of this active transportation corridor in the ERTC study will reduce
the potential for conflict between the alignments of the two projects.
• PWD can then utilize the findings to proceed with the implementation of the cycling and
pedestrian connection between the Disraeli Freeway and Marconi walkway independently in
terms of timeline of the other elements of the ERTC.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:35 AM

Funny, I was just thinking about that. If they can make that connection people will be able to bike from the north edge of the city to the Forks with minimal vehicular conflict. And when the province completes the bridge over the Perimeter, it'll run all the way to Birds Hill. It's a major step in connecting our patchwork bike infrastructure. Maybe they can run it along the river, under the Louise Bridge, down to Archibald. Or close off a lane of Talbot.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:00 AM

Did anyone else get rate shock on the rapid transit cost in today's budget?

While 0.33% for ten years doesn't sound like much the overall implication seems much larger. If we assume the plan is still for five lines, assuming costs are equal to the SW line the 0.33% is exclusively for we are talking approximately 1.5%. We know the cost of the west line (aka Portage Ave) will be higher as we know inflation is going to occur on the cost side. This means an actual cost of 2-3% would not be unrealistic. The issue is that Brian Bowman campaigned on both limiting property tax increases to not more than inflation and completing the build out of the RT network in 15 years. Based on the number today I am starting to really question how this will be possible and that is before even looking at something like a change to LRT.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Didn't vote for Sanders for mayor but the guy was/is smart enough to be a city councillor and probably a lot smarter than most of the lot we have there now!

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/2015/03/...s-exposes.html

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Did anyone else get rate shock on the rapid transit cost in today's budget?

While 0.33% for ten years doesn't sound like much the overall implication seems much larger. If we assume the plan is still for five lines, assuming costs are equal to the SW line the 0.33% is exclusively for we are talking approximately 1.5%. We know the cost of the west line (aka Portage Ave) will be higher as we know inflation is going to occur on the cost side. This means an actual cost of 2-3% would not be unrealistic. The issue is that Brian Bowman campaigned on both limiting property tax increases to not more than inflation and completing the build out of the RT network in 15 years. Based on the number today I am starting to really question how this will be possible and that is before even looking at something like a change to LRT.
I think Bowman's campaign was to only limit the increase in 2015. Pretty sure next year he can raise it to whatever he wants (based on his own promises). It's funny, on social media a bunch of people where laying into Bowman for being slimy and raising taxes. Well no. If you paid attention to the election, he did exactly what he said he would.

On the RT side. I don't think we'd see LRT until after 2030, or even after the P3 runs out for the Southwest Transitway. Which is 30 years from 2020. Bowman's 0.33% for ten years is a good start. But won't be enough to fund the City's portion for these projects alone. IMO anyways, I'm no economist.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:41 PM

What irks me is that Winnipeg would have had a subway system but the city said no and we got trolley buses

Winnipeg and Quebec city are also the only cities of its size to not have lrt I mean even Saskatoon is seriously thinking about it

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovell007 View Post
What irks me is that Winnipeg would have had a subway system but the city said no and we got trolley buses
I'm not sure what you mean by trolley busses but Winnipeg said no to a subway system around the same time that it ripped out its street car system and replaced it with diesel busses.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:17 PM

well the bus i was on on monday afternoon got egged on watt street and bowman ave. Fyi it was on route 20. at least the control Center had a sense of humour about it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:15 PM

Hey guys i was look on the Atu 1505 website and came across the spring 2015 crew sheets. The crew sheets show the work that drivers can sign it is the old system tho but i still find it really cool. i also saw that a lot of the rapid transit runs are being moved to brandon garage and that 2 to 3 of the 20 runs with the electric bus next change will be back at brandon between 18:00 and 21:00. Also the new change starts Sunday Aprill 12th if your wondering.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:02 PM

i was recently on winnipeg transit bus 639 and i saw something cool on the rear doors of the bus its 2 boxes wired to the door. i think it might be the fix transit was trying to build as you may know the new buses with the touchbars tend to break if you pound on the touchbar. i hope this will keep these buses in serivce and not have many broken rear doors.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:09 PM

I hope they zap people who pound on the touchbar like rats in a Skinner box.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:14 AM

well a bus crashed today. The crash happened at southbound kenaston blvd and taylor ave it involved bus 111 run 78-1 my friend was driving that bus today and got relief about hour and a half before the crash

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 1:03 PM

Sounds like there could be a fatality involved with that accident.

Update:
the police 11am Sunday news release says 5 people (bus driver and 2 passengers and two people from the SUV) taken to hospital. I am not quite sure the way the release reads if the bus driver or the SUV driver remains in hospital with serious injuries.

Last edited by cllew; Apr 5, 2015 at 4:07 PM. Reason: update with police info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan