HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
That does seem odd that they would let you use your own computer. Even stranger--at least to me--is that they only give you $15/month for home office expenses.
They really have no choice about us using our own computers because they don't have any laptops available. We only use desktops at the office. Some federal offices only use laptops so in an event like this it's not as difficult for employees to work from home.

The office expense thing was negotiated by the union because until about 7 years ago we got absolutely nothing! But that was with another department that I worked at. Where I am now I have no idea if I'll get anything because I don't think it exists in our collective agreement or in the Treasury Board policies. Personally, I'm happy that I'm getting a full paycheque so I'm not going to complain.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:45 PM

I think another other positive consequences of the virus is that it will help reduce prices for real estate and rentals especially in our most expensive and biggest immigrant markets of Vancouver and Toronto. With immigration probably at a standstill for at least a year, it will mean that our economic growth model will {hopefully} refocus from highly unproductive real estate development and flipping to real productivity gains and business investment.

It will also cause us to rethink our immigration policies and particularly the high number we now allow into the country. We had gotten to the point that Ottawa seemed to think that immigration was good for it's own sake and this childish notion that anyone who wanted immigration levels lowered was either a racist or against diversity. This time will allow Ottawa and Canadians to reflect upon not only the benefits of high immigration but also the many negative consequences of it such as unaffordable and unattainable rentals and real estate, an inability for kids to get into university because so many of the spots are taking by foreigners, and the increasing view that many of our immigrants view Canada as more of a passport centre but have little affinity for Canada itself.

An immigration review will be a good thing and help make future immigration decisions based upon what is best for Canada as a whole which is a conversation we have never actually had.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:39 AM
perhaps . . .

Sorry, have you been under a rock, or are your own biases blinding you to the actual political discourse this country has had going continuously since the 1960’s. Your take on the issue is clear, but you are doing a version of what you complain about: that your perspective doesn’t get a fair hearing because the conversation is never had. Except you’re wrong. You just seem to be missing it.

Another issue is you make so many unsubstantiated assumptions. What is a “high number?” Our immigration rate has been higher in the past, and none of the recent years have been much of a departure from the Canadian norm. Most immigration has little to do with our real estate issues, and most adds to our productivity. The “childish notion” trope is overplayed and over used. And access to university is much more an issue of foreign visiting students than immigrants.

And then there is this: “the increasing view that many of our immigrants view Canada as more of a passport.” Increasing where? You haven’t a shred of evidence to reasonably support this statement. It is just a fabrication.

I have no idea whether you are a racist or anti-diversity. I can say this: calling for the discussions you call for is blamess and in many ways worthy. It’s not talking about race or immigration that makes for racist talk, but how you talk about these topics certainly can make for racist talk. The way you talk, and you have posted plenty, definitely puts you at risk for being put in that catégorie. In fact, it is quite clear. My last question is this, I’m not defining you as a reactionary racist (a mild kind of racist), but given how you think about these things, why do you try so hard to avoid it . . why not own up?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 11:21 AM

Immigration has never really been reduced during recessions before. Why it would be reduced now?

As for the real estate impact. Don't blame immigrants. Blame AirBnB. The spectacular collapse in rental prices is showing us that even 1% of inventory moving to short term rentals has a huge impact on housing affordability. I consider the collapse of short-term rentals to be a huge positive coming out of this crisis. Especially with the real estate crash it's going to kick off.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Immigration has never really been reduced during recessions before. Why it would be reduced now?

As for the real estate impact. Don't blame immigrants. Blame AirBnB. The spectacular collapse in rental prices is showing us that even 1% of inventory moving to short term rentals has a huge impact on housing affordability. I consider the collapse of short-term rentals to be a huge positive coming out of this crisis. Especially with the real estate crash it's going to kick off.
Because borders are closed and there are no flights for immigrants to even get here?

As long as this is going on immigration numbers will almost certainly be down.

What may happen of course is as soon as flights start back up again there will be a surge of immigrants as the gov keeps processing applications and there are thousands of people waiting with legal entry just for flights to open up again..

Rental price collapses right now have to due with a temporary surge of supply onto the market. Once it gets absorbed, which it will, and quickly, it will be back to normal. Once things go back to "normal" units will start to get pulled off the market again for AirBnB too.

The thing with this pandemic is that it is creating these crazy shifts, but most of them will be temporary. As soon as things are allowed to return, the vast majority of changes will be reversed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:

What this poster said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Because borders are closed and there are no flights for immigrants to even get here?

As long as this is going on immigration numbers will almost certainly be down.

What may happen of course is as soon as flights start back up again there will be a surge of immigrants as the gov keeps processing applications and there are thousands of people waiting with legal entry just for flights to open up again..

Rental price collapses right now have to due with a temporary surge of supply onto the market. Once it gets absorbed, which it will, and quickly, it will be back to normal. Once things go back to "normal" units will start to get pulled off the market again for AirBnB too.

The thing with this pandemic is that it is creating these crazy shifts, but most of them will be temporary. As soon as things are allowed to return, the vast majority of changes will be reversed.
If AirBnB caused an increase in prices due to increased housing demand, then it should only be temporary until the market adjusts and builds more supply (and this drop in demand will also be temporary). If the market is being restricted by politics from building the supply it needs, then that isn't AirBnB's fault, and trying to ease prices by suppressing demand for houses will just end up with people being less wealthy overall.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:39 PM

[QUOTE=Truenorth00;8880962 Immigration has never really been reduced during recessions before. ... .[/QUOTE]

Source?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Sorry, have you been under a rock, or are your own biases blinding you to the actual political discourse this country has had going continuously since the 1960’s. Your take on the issue is clear, but you are doing a version of what you complain about: that your perspective doesn’t get a fair hearing because the conversation is never had. Except you’re wrong. You just seem to be missing it.

Another issue is you make so many unsubstantiated assumptions. What is a “high number?” Our immigration rate has been higher in the past, and none of the recent years have been much of a departure from the Canadian norm. Most immigration has little to do with our real estate issues, and most adds to our productivity. The “childish notion” trope is overplayed and over used. And access to university is much more an issue of foreign visiting students than immigrants.

And then there is this: “the increasing view that many of our immigrants view Canada as more of a passport.” Increasing where? You haven’t a shred of evidence to reasonably support this statement. It is just a fabrication.

I have no idea whether you are a racist or anti-diversity. I can say this: calling for the discussions you call for is blamess and in many ways worthy. It’s not talking about race or immigration that makes for racist talk, but how you talk about these topics certainly can make for racist talk. The way you talk, and you have posted plenty, definitely puts you at risk for being put in that catégorie. In fact, it is quite clear. My last question is this, I’m not defining you as a reactionary racist (a mild kind of racist), but given how you think about these things, why do you try so hard to avoid it . . why not own up?
Another bright side of the pandemic? Crusty old racists like him are kept away from the public at large.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 5:50 AM

Art is more important than ever.

With all the boarded up storefronts some artists are seeing blank canvases. In Vancouver some compelling portraits of women leaders have been created on the Europe Hotel in Gastown.

April 2 '20, my pics

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 6:10 AM

I was delighted to hear that my niece (Theresa Rivera) is getting lots of work in New York creating murals for some high end retailers in the Meatpacking District.

=============

Luxury Retailers Are Boarding Up Storefronts Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
By Emily Rekstis April 1, 2020

A closed Sephora store on New York City’s 9th Avenue is shown boarded up with plywood on March 28, 2020. Lev Radin/Pacific Press/Shutterstock
source: https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/n...irus-outbreak/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:25 PM

I am spending less money. I guess that's good.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Immigration has never really been reduced during recessions before. ...
Sure it has:

...In the 1980s recession, Pierre Trudeau trimmed immigration by 25 per cent so newcomers would not compete with Canadians for jobs. Is it possible Trudeau junior would cut intake levels so Canadian workers can better survive the current economic slowdown?...

https://vancouversun.com/life/how-mi...-the-liberals/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:35 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I am spending less money. I guess that's good.
Same here. I'm also sure that's the case for just about every other person. You're not going to spend quite so much when so many places are closed up.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
Same here. I'm also sure that's the case for just about every other person. You're not going to spend quite so much when so many places are closed up.
One wonders how many people will take it to heart and reduce the mindless consumption? I have my doubts about any big shifts, unless of course we have less money in future, which seems entirely possible.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Another bright side of the pandemic? Crusty old racists like him are kept away from the public at large.
Perhaps you and Marshall should learn how to read before throwing around accusations. I talked about IMMIGRATION not race, ethnicity, or country of origin.

Did I mention any racial group like Africans, Caucasians, or Asians? No.
Did I mention any ethnic groups like Arabs, Slaves, or Latin Americans? No.
Did I mention any country of origin like Bolivia, Korea, or Norway? No.

Just because you guys like to whip out the race card when anybody brings up potential negative effects of high immigration as a tool to shut down intelligent discourse doesn't mean the rest of us have to. Your childish insinuations about people's "bigotry" may work on the gullible but it won't work on me.

Perhaps next time before throwing out biased accusations at other people, you should look in the mirror first.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Perhaps you and Marshall should learn how to read before throwing around accusations.

I talked about IMMIGRATION not, ethnicity, or country of origin.

Just because you guys like to whip out the race card when anybody brings up potential negative effects of high immigration as a tool to shut down intelligent discourse doesn't mean it's relevant. Your childish insinuations about people's "bigotry" may work on the gullible doesn't mean it will work on me.

Perhaps next time use before throwing out biased accusations, you should look in the mirror first.
Nobody that posts here regularly takes your posts at face value or in isolation. Whether stating that a nation of 1.4 billion is the "genital warts of the world" or musing that Indigenous Canadians are more prone to being criminals you've proven yourself to be the crusty old bigot of the forum. Ask anyone here, I dare you.

The funny thing is when people call you out on those more egregious posts you don't continue the conversation any further and just carry along like nothing happened.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 8:51 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Perhaps you and Marshall should learn how to read before throwing around accusations. I talked about IMMIGRATION not race, ethnicity, or country of origin.

Just because you guys like to whip out the race card when anybody brings up potential negative effects of high immigration as a tool to shut down intelligent discourse doesn't mean the rest of us have to. Your childish insinuations about people's "bigotry" may work on the gullible but it won't work on me.

Perhaps next time before throwing out biased accusations at other people, you should look in the mirror first.
I did not 'play the race card.' My criticism was more subtle than that. Too subtle? You are just repeating what you have repeated dozens of times before. You can't hide the bigotry that so easily flows from 80% of your posts. You can be bigoted and not know it. In these times there is plenty of that.

So, go for it, throw a sissy fit. The worst part of your contributions is not even the bigotry, disguised or not, its the simplistic thinking. Sorry, but I can't take that on. I don't do 'simplistic.' Many of us are getting tired of the general discourse having to contend with your kind of nonsense. The discussion needs to move on. You know don't you, that it's not true that every voice needs a hearing? We need more educated voices so that we might progress.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:06 PM
Community Guy

I am drinking considerably more than usual and eating 2x.

I guess that's a good thing.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:08 PM
perhaps . . .

The bright side of the pandemic: and this one will prove to be not worth it: stupidity will have the curtain opened upon it. Empty headed leaders (Trump, Kushner, Bolsonaro, Putin, Rouhani . . . ), non-existent preparation and institutional structures (everywhere but esp. in the US where the hollowing out will truly manifest itself in disaster), the incompetence of weak and undermanned bureaucracies, weakened international bonds, habits we thought were laws and constitutional requirements - all will be shown in the bright lights in the aftermath of absolutely way too many deaths. Because of that, this isn't really a bright side, because it would be much preferable to fix all this in another way. So, apologies.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I am drinking considerably more than usual and eating 2x.

I guess that's a good thing.
The only thing keeping my drinking in check is my desire to not have to go back to the liquor store... although I suppose delivery is an option too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada