HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post

Signage for the Hive now up.
Feb 2020 by , on Flickr

wow that's impressive!

https://thehivekamloops.com/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 9:10 PM

Here his an update from around TRU Campus.

The next building for campus is likely to be a new home for The School of Business and Economics. I believe Chernoff Thompson Architects have been engaged for the design. Sound like plans are pretty advanced. I think it will be part of The Reach phase 2.

Kelson Groups Liberty Point is above ground. Framing happening in the background

Liberty point by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Nursing building near completion
Nursing1 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Legacy Square

Legacy by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Creston House

Creston by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 11:43 PM

Can't wait to see that design. I would be surprised if it was part of phase 2 though. Isn't that all supposed to be market rentals/sales? Didn't think the University was putting any buildings in the reach.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:32 PM

Yes, I think that's right for all the other parcels except for the Summit/McGill lot. Here is the 2015 Campus plan and it is the only multi use lot but lets see. Guess the other option would be the J lot.

MCgill by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 6:02 PM

Interesting. I'm hoping they put it at J lot. That would really densify the campus.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:59 PM

Apparently the STEM building is also approved so might end up with both. I like to have part of the University on the Summit/McGill corner as the visibility is great for TRU. Maybe it can help entice developers for the summit/Mcgill lot, that there would already have an anchor tenant. It will likely be tourism and business sharing the building wherever it ends up.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops.Dane View Post
Nursing building near completion
That's my baby. Zero carbon building too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops.Dane View Post
Apparently the STEM building is also approved so might end up with both. I like to have part of the University on the Summit/McGill corner as the visibility is great for TRU. Maybe it can help entice developers for the summit/Mcgill lot, that there would already have an anchor tenant. It will likely be tourism and business sharing the building wherever it ends up.
That would be the best scenario if they are announcing 2 academic buildings. 1 in the center of campus, and one on Summit/McGill corner in phase 2. The designs of education buildings are always so unique so would be nice to have an impressive building on that busy corner.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 8:41 PM

Well done. Will be a land mark on campus.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 8:47 PM

TRU has come a long way since the Cariboo College days.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:32 PM

What do you think about a new crossing by the airport? I like the idea as it gets the tanker traffic out of the north shore but i also ends up forming a ring road around town. I guess a couple added benefits of this location would be better access to airport, use it for utilities/pipeline crossing and maybe make the Tranquille farm development more feasible. If the Iron Mask industrial area moves ahead it would make lots of jobs more accessible from the Brock.

https://www.radionl.com/2020/02/14/52010/

4th crossing by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:58 PM

I'm a huge fan of this plan! So glad the city is scrapping the Singh Street bridge and looking into this crossing instead. It would make the airport that much more accessible to people from out of town and on the hill. The Iron Mask Industrial/Commercial development is desperately needed too and this could piggyback off the infrastructure that needs to go in for that to happen. I think it would also get all truck traffic out of the downtown as well as the North Shore eh? I really can't think of anything negative about this, haha.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 7:42 PM

No, I can't think of anything negative either. Yes, would likely take care of the downtown and Sahali chip/log hauler traffic.

I wonder if this is the only option to get train traffic out of down town? I can't see how you would do it any other way. It would mean a lot more trains through the reserve and Brock plus a longer route for CP.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 6:42 PM

The Jim Pattison Group bought the Lansdowne Village mall downtown. This is a huge piece of land spanning 3 blocks. Sounds like they spent north of 44 million on it. No plans at the moment but couldn't imagine spending that kind of coin and not doing something with it.

Landsdowne by , on Flickr

When looking at google earth, how cool would it be if they were in talks with CP, they could span over the tracks and open the downtown to the waterfront. Would be doable if CP moved the yard from downtown and shrunk to 2 tracks. There's no need to have that yard downtown.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/new...all-1.24094389

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:27 PM

Pretty challenging area to build a road on. You have an end of an airport runway to one side where they'll have to stay low, a climb up to cross the Thompson River, then an even bigger climb up the cliff.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 6:19 PM

Yes, it looks difficult but this is Kamloops. Most of the city is built on a hillside. Some of the retaining walls around town are huge. A lot of cut/fill, but more than doable.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 4:29 PM

Glad to find this Kamloops thread

Was pleasantly surprised to find this long and active thread about Kamloops building projects.

Worried for the builders having to deal with the economic impact of the pandemic. Hopefully the majority of the buildings complete as planned.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 6:53 PM

Welcome! I think the private developments will. I'm more worried about City projects. West Victoria St sounds like it will be completed this year, but Tranquille phase 2 sounds like it's getting pushed till next year, which sucks cause it's desperately needed. They just voted that TCC will proceed as well this year.

Also sucks about the Performing Arts Centre referendum getting postponed. It's too bad that didn't happen before the world shut down. I'm interested to see how they will proceed with it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:31 PM

W. Victoria and Tranquille, you're talking about the road works? Or specific buildings? What's planned for TCC?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 9:10 PM

Ya I'm talking about those road enhancement projects.

TCC is getting I think 13 million in upgrades, mostly building envelope, mechanical improvements and green initiatives. There's also a new entrance going in on the East side.

TCC by , on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia