HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:22 AM

I’m down with Blainer

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:39 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Honestly just moving offtopic posts to the appropriate threads and deleting personal attacks is pretty much all that is needed.
This would be the single most effective strategy to use.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
This would be the single most effective strategy to use.
I agree.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 8:39 PM

Best solution in my mind is to get rid of the one megathread and to break the discussion out like the Vancouver section. The reason we all wanted the main thread was it was easier to post updates and the first page had all the current projects listed. Now that the first page is essentially dead and big photo updates are few and far between, there isn't much to keep posts on topic and once a few people start trolling, the whole thread gets completely derailed. Moderating will help, but people will always find things to discuss in the absence of construction talk, and it will be quite difficult to keep things on topic.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Best solution in my mind is to get rid of the one megathread and to break the discussion out like the Vancouver section. The reason we all wanted the main thread was it was easier to post updates and the first page had all the current projects listed. Now that the first page is essentially dead and big photo updates are few and far between, there isn't much to keep posts on topic and once a few people start trolling, the whole thread gets completely derailed. Moderating will help, but people will always find things to discuss in the absence of construction talk, and it will be quite difficult to keep things on topic.
We already have an endless number of threads in the Calgary section. If there isn't a enough construction talk in the construction thread, then start generating some.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
We already have an endless number of threads in the Calgary section. If there isn't a enough construction talk in the construction thread, then start generating some.
I definitely don't want a new thread for every topic that comes up like they have in the Canada section. I'd prefer threads for general topics. For example, I would just have one overall construction thread for every project. I think that might help to generate more content in the Construction thread and keep people more on topic.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:43 PM

Is this discussion about just the construction thread, or all main threads on SSP-Calgary?

I think the construction thread and the airport thread both have the same root cause issue: the long term economic outlook.

Way back in 2007 (before I knew about SSP) the Managing Partner for the big audit firm I worked at required a slide about the Calgary economy. So he chose a slide that depicted the Calgary Skyline 2007 vs the projected Calgary Skyline 2017. Everyone's mind was blown at the projected new skyline.

The same depiction today could be done by taking only one picture. The current construction projects will top out and go live, but then it will be a long time before another crane is going up 50 stories.

Same can be said for the airport thread. In 2007 we had the International Facilities Project that was a 15 gate extension onto the B concourse. Then in 2010 it became the New International Terminal. But in the next 10 years, I predict very few additional facilities.

I originally came to SSP for updates to the Crowchild-Stoney interchange and NW/NE ring road project. Stayed around for the Airport thread and Municipal Politics issues. The construction thread was also useful for deciding which route to take when walking downtown Calgary.

IMHO, the off topic posts are a sign of the slow economy for large controversial developments. The personal attacks are a sign of social media discourse.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:44 PM
Fake News

It's been a while since I started a new thread and I can't seem to find how. Can someone remind me please?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I definitely don't want a new thread for every topic that comes up like they have in the Canada section. I'd prefer threads for general topics. For example, I would just have one overall construction thread for every project. I think that might help to generate more content in the Construction thread and keep people more on topic.
That's what I mean, a new thread for projects, not a new thread for whatever brain fart someone wants to discuss. The single large thread is the problem, and none of the benefits that made it what it once was exist anymore.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:50 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Do we need a new thread for projects, or just enforcement that the Construction thread is to be for construction updates only, anything else in one of the specific sub-threads or the watercooler?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:23 PM

It's just a thought. Other sections do quite well without the mega thread is all.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:42 PM
cow orker

What I would like to know is what will happen to the excavation at the bottom of 42 Ave SE just before Ogden Rd? I assume they are taking the fill to build the new bridge at Blackfoot/Deerfoot.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:21 PM

I doubt that making more threads for projects will help. We already have threads for all the various projects, and they've always been there but nobody ever posts in them. They're woefully outdated.

IMO, the strength of this forum is in the diversity of the topics and discussion. To be brutally honest, for construction and development SRC is way ahead in that department and at the rate they're going it's probably not going to change. I signed up for an SRC account the other day for my construction fix.

As far as other topics like politics, transit, the airport, etc.. there isn't as much of that over at SRC. Keep the off topic stuff moved or deleted and the personal attacks to a minimum and those threads will stay strong. Those threads are what keeps me coming back to SSP.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Regarding more or less threads, perhaps there is a balance to be had.

So maybe instead of individual threads for each and every $50M project, there can be threads for larger grouped developments or areas. Examples could be:

University District & Main Campus (there are 3-4 projects currently, and cumulatively, UD will be dozens of projects)

East Village (which includes many landscape pieces, the new library, hotel and residential items still on the way, etc.)

The Core would include many current projects such as TELUS Sky, etc.

I think any project over say $500M really should get its own thread, and currently the new Cancer Centre fits that bill in spades.

Victoria Park & Stampede could include developments related to the arena, the soon to be revealed BMO expansion, etcetera.

Beltline likely deserves its own thread, with many medium / medium-large projects underway, with more undeniably on the way.

There could also be threads that are thematic, possibly all recreation facilities, in-fills, or maybe all medical related facilities (many ways to skin that cat, but the key will be consistency, and a clear go-to thread for any projects).

I do know that on some other forums where there are larger cities and more things going on, they navigate in this fashion.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:33 PM

Stephen Avenue is right. We already have thread for every project, and posts in them. I also think that a bunch mini section threads (as per Suburbia’s idea) won’t work either. We already have an East Village thread for example. IMO the issues aren’t anything to do with thread layout but rather it’s an issue with members. Losing a few certain members is what’s needed.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
We already have thread for every project, and posts in them.
We're spoken over recent months about updates on the Cancer Centre (a $1.3B project), the University District (currently several buildings and pedestrian areas in progress, with much to follow) as well as the University's main campus (several on-going projects). I do not recall specific threads for any of those.

Last edited by suburbia; Dec 20, 2017 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
We're spoken over recent months about updates on the Cancer Centre (a $1.3B project), the University District (currently several buildings and pedestrian areas in progress, with much to follow) as well as the University's main campus (several on-going projects). I do not recall specific threads for any of those.
You're missing the point. We have threads for most other projects, most of them don’t get updated. The only person who’s been updating those threads is big sky, posting links to updates at skyrise.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Which members are we talking about?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation