HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 8:14 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
It seems you and only a few people acutally have fond memories for the twins. However, as you realize, many people in this thread tend to praise new towers and disrespect the old. Speaking of the foundations, 2WTC is only at the foundations stage. A bottle can be half empty, or half full.

I have nothing to do with this organization, but I support their cause.http://www.twintowersalliance.com/
They even aim to rebuild intact rectangular-shaped new Twin Towers over 2WTC and 3WTC site.
I have very fond memories of the towers myself, have eaten many times at windows and I actually used to live a few blocks from them....fact of the matter is they are gone and NEVER coming back. If for some reason in another universe they ever decided to make 2WTC a twin it would look dumb and ugly, the only place a twin would look OK at the WTC is if they placed it maybe where the Hub is, and that's already above ground and not happening.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
Okay, we get it - your view of superiority is size, size, and more size. You express your blind hatred for 1 WTC because it doesn't have as much floor space. We get your point. You posted this same kind of speech recently. We got it already. But there will not be a twin of this building or twins of any kind. If you dislike 1 WTC as much as you seem to, then guess what? You don't need to follow its progress or post here.

And you certainly don't need to make people seem idiotic for actually liking this building, because that seems to be your only mission here - and I consider that to be more "pathetic" than anything.
The best thing, is Lower Manhattan has its rightful tallest back. Not that it is the tallest in the world, but that it is the same height as the originals, and it its actually nice to look at, instead of Liebeskind's original garbage. It'll even be better, when the Port Authority pulls its head out of its collective ass, and allows for it. I know its because of low demand for office space, but this red tape bureacracy bullshit, drives me nuts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 11:50 PM
Map Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
The best thing, is Lower Manhattan has its rightful tallest back. Not that it is the tallest in the world, but that it is the same height as the originals, and it its actually nice to look at, instead of Liebeskind's original garbage. It'll even be better, when the Port Authority pulls its head out of its collective ass, and allows for it. I know its because of low demand for office space, but this red tape bureacracy bullshit, drives me nuts.
Completely agree

https://www.facebook.com/EZRDSocial

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^^ Nothing can be more of the truth. This, for me, will always be the most iconic skyline in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post

A lesson that many in this thread need to understand.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
This image clearly shows that we have built an inferior, diminished product than its predecessors. I insist that any attempt to decorate this type of inferiority with such self-rationalizing words like 'more elegant', 'sleeker', 'slenderer', 'more friendly-scale', or 'more 21st century-looking', etc. is banal and pathetic.

Stop rationalizing the reality and admit the reality. The reality is, "the new 1WTC is clearly weaker than the original 1 WTC in terms of floor count and floor space."

And yet, only way to fix this imbalance is to build another, second 1 WTC so that it would incorporate a twin element. We have restored the North Tower albeit by somehow inferior way, what not apply the same treatment to the South Tower?

To those who having a rosy dream that 1 WTC will eventually look greater than the Twin Towers because there will be 2 WTC and 3 WTC next to it, I'd say somthing like this: A skyscraper is supposed to skyscrap the sky.

Even if they eventually manage to add 2 WTC and 3 WTC, those two smaller buildings can't compensate the presence of another taller twin tower. 2 and 3 WTC are supposed to be only 79 and 71 stories tall (yes, 3 WTC has one less floor count than 4 WTC, which has 72 floors), and the sheer number of skyscrapers cannot substitute for the sheer height.

Just think of it. the presence of four, six, or even tens of 55-story buildings can't beat the presence of two massive 110 stories tall towers.

My vision is like this: We can have two 105 stories tall 1 and 2 WTC, and 71 and 72 stories tall 3 and 4 WTC.
Hooray, my first post after years of lurking and it's to this.

Look, I admired the twins as much as you but they're gone. Face it. What we have now is great beyond comparison and you should cherish it as it is now.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 1:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

wicked photos, NYCrules!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 3:31 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
This image clearly shows that we have built an inferior, diminished product than its predecessors. I insist that any attempt to decorate this type of inferiority with such self-rationalizing words like 'more elegant', 'sleeker', 'slenderer', 'more friendly-scale', or 'more 21st century-looking', etc. is banal and pathetic.

Stop rationalizing the reality and admit the reality. The reality is, "the new 1WTC is clearly weaker than the original 1 WTC in terms of floor count and floor space."

And yet, only way to fix this imbalance is to build another, second 1 WTC so that it would incorporate a twin element. We have restored the North Tower albeit by somehow inferior way, what not apply the same treatment to the South Tower?

To those who having a rosy dream that 1 WTC will eventually look greater than the Twin Towers because there will be 2 WTC and 3 WTC next to it, I'd say somthing like this: A skyscraper is supposed to skyscrap the sky.

Even if they eventually manage to add 2 WTC and 3 WTC, those two smaller buildings can't compensate the presence of another taller twin tower. 2 and 3 WTC are supposed to be only 79 and 71 stories tall (yes, 3 WTC has one less floor count than 4 WTC, which has 72 floors), and the sheer number of skyscrapers cannot substitute for the sheer height.

Just think of it. the presence of four, six, or even tens of 55-story buildings can't beat the presence of two massive 110 stories tall towers.

My vision is like this: We can have two 105 stories tall 1 and 2 WTC, and 71 and 72 stories tall 3 and 4 WTC.

Many get angry on this forum when people say things like you said but it's probably because they're scared to admit that you're right.

I agree, the new WTC is weaker in terms of scale, but hopefully when it's all finished will be more aesthetically pleasing.

I'm ok with the new WTC because it's much better than what we originally thought we were getting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
Does this tower feel as overwhelmingly powerful in person as the twins were?

Seems like the twins had that feeling in pictures but the new tower doesn't. However, I havent seen the new WTC in person for a couple years so Im hoping its a very biased opinion...
Have you seen it in person? Cause I assure you no picture does it or any of the other buildings justice. This building is huge in person.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 7:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Yep, that's right folks! No one actually has a positive opinion of this building, they're just scared to admit that it sucks!

There is nothing wrong with the building at all, but for what it is replacing some people think it falls short, and they have every right to. I personally like the building (minus the antenna) but can understand people's frustration on it not being on par with the twins size wise, there is a power element that this new complex doesn't have and the twins did, and there only being 1 1300 footer and not 2.

But since there is nothing we can do about it, we'll get used to it, if towers 2 and 3 get built it will be a nice complex, and other big skyscrapers will get built in NYC hopefully.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 7:57 PM

The twins were iconic, without a doubt one of the countries greatest monuments of strength. What we have now is only a fraction of what we had. But it's still a damn nice tower and there's no stopping New York from building a new Icon one day that will stand more impressive than the twins.

Just accept what we have and move on. The towers themselves are not what mattered, it's the people who died and the best way to redeem them is to be proud of what we got.

Also I'm sure the site will be much more impressive once the entire thing is built.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Who said that? It has been mentioned that the occupied space is lower and narrower, which it is. If someone is upset by that I won't attack them because this was supposed to be stronger than before. Height matters.
Arthurmiles..almost his entire post was about floor amounts as if that determines a buildings height ..taller 1 wtc roof height is 1368 ft 2 wtc total height is 1350 feet tall 13 foot difference, not noticeable at all..

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:56 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
Arthurmiles..almost his entire post was about floor amounts as if that determines a buildings height ..taller 1 wtc roof height is 1368 ft 2 wtc total height is 1350 feet tall 13 foot difference, not noticeable at all..
Well, ok in that case I agree it's silly to judge a building by floor count but the occupied space is still lower in 1WTC. 2 WTC is 1350 feet to the top of a spire on top of a large sloping crown, the building will not have the impact of the old 2WTC, although I think it is wider east to west than the original which is good.

Again, people miss the twins because they were an acre of space 1370 feet straight up, no setbacks or tapering, can't really say the same about the new towers. If you don't mind that, then that's cool, I'm glad you are happy with the new complex, but I can see how some people, myself included at times, see it as a weakness, on a site that was supposed to symbolize rebirth nonetheless.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 9:14 PM

You're obsessed with a concept that just doesn't register in the minds of the public. So why keep discussing it? We all know what your opinion is, do we need to be reminded every two weeks?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 9:23 PM

edit

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

I remember these proposals well...

LouMartini

In the end, the most logical was chosen, as far as the site plan goes...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 1:09 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
You're obsessed with a concept that just doesn't register in the minds of the public. So why keep discussing it? We all know what your opinion is, do we need to be reminded every two weeks?

Except this is a skyscraper forum, what does the public's lack of knowledge have to do with anything?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I wish they had built two of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derchin View Post
It's never going to happen.
Well, I totally agree with you wakamesalad, but the majority of people on this thread really hates twin 1WTC idea, simply because "it's not going to happen". So according to them, dreaming a second 1WTC is irrational and the speaker should be bullied, while dreaming unfinished 2WTC and 3WTC will look better than the original twin towers is perfectly fine and socially acceptable behavior.

I'm sick and tired of those 'not gonna happen argument' for bashing twin 1WTC ideas. It sounds as if people are all terrorized so that they can't stand another twin towers argument. In other words, they don't wanna hear anything related to twins because it hurts their inner feelings, or some sort of PTSD that wants to avoid any form of twins.

What they don't realize is they are acutally living off Silverstein's dream, not theirs. It is Mr. Silverstein who plans everything, and they are just simply affirming what he's planned. That's all.

If Silverstein ever wants to build twin 1WTC, then people will simply rationalize that reality, because that becomes 'what's gonna happen'.

The terrorists had dreamed the world without twin towers, and these days people are somehow living off terrorists' dream by affirming the absence of twin towers 'what's gonna happen'.

Last edited by Arthurmiles; Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 7:35 PM

There can't be Twins because there isn't any room unless if you build on top of the museum, and the other buildings are already well under way. If you want the Twin Towers buy your own 16 acres of land somewhere and built it, but it can't happen here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture