HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
We always talk about how desirable it is to have mixed-income neighbourhoods, and a downtown that caters to all interests. We decry that there are no grocery stores or "everyday" type shops downtown. Then at the same time we rally against Dollarama and Giant Tiger which are always hubs of activity and keep the street active?
I think that those stores may be presented wrong... Instead of having them as single story buildings they should take up a bottom floor (or something) of a high/medium density mixed use building, like Authentic_City was saying.

I don't know about you guys but I haven't heard anything about a retailer like Giant Tiger or Dollarama using retail space in one of Winnipeg's developing high-rises; anyone want to shed light on this?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I get it that some don't like Dollarama fronting Portage Ave. so close to the famous corner, but it is better then a dead zone, or another social service-leased building for the time being.
Not to pick nits here, but for all intents and purposes, Dollarama and Giant Tiger are social services. They're successful in those locations because they well supplement the existing social services and hotels utilized by the patrons. It isn't that there's anything wrong with them as stand-alone enterprises - the Dollarama on Taylor certainly isn't a bastion of low-income iniquity - it's that they help create the perfect conditions for the sort of environment the middle class wants nothing to do with and consequently stays away from.

Yeah, it's street level activity, but it isn't the sort of vibrancy anybody wants. Hell, even going into MEC is an experience I'd rather not have. If there were another one elsewhere, I'd go to it just to avoid the hassle...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I don't know about you guys but I haven't heard anything about a retailer like Giant Tiger or Dollarama using retail space in one of Winnipeg's developing high-rises; anyone want to shed light on this?
The developer would never let it happen. Can you imagine telling TDS or Aikins that they'll be sharing the lobby in their $25/sq ft office building with Giant Tiger? They'd never sign the lease.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:00 PM

Update Apr 25

Another week, another picture.

Still working,despite the snow/slush and generally gloomy weather today.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 3:40 PM

Office complex about 85 per cent leased
By: Murray McNeill

A second major office tenant has been found for downtown Winnipeg's high-profile 311 Portage at Centrepoint development.

The local office of Regina-based retail-software-development firm iQmetrix has leased 10,000 square feet of space on the second floor of Centrepoint's five-storey office/restaurant complex.

It will be joining engineering firm Stantec, which has leased the top 21/2 floors in the approximately 100,000-sq.-ft. complex.

The parkade is already under construction, and work on the condo tower is set to get underway in June.

"We're now about 85 per cent leased"

Stephanson said although the unusually cold winter created plenty of challenges for construction crews, they're still on schedule to have the parkade and the office/restaurant complex completed by the fall of this year. He said construction of the hotel is also coming along nicely and should be completed by late this year or early in 2015. The condo tower will take about 18 months to build.

Article Quotes/Image Source

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Office complex about 85 per cent leased
By: Murray McNeill

A second major office tenant has been found for downtown Winnipeg's high-profile 311 Portage at Centrepoint development.

The local office of Regina-based retail-software-development firm iQmetrix has leased 10,000 square feet of space on the second floor of Centrepoint's five-storey office/restaurant complex.

It will be joining engineering firm Stantec, which has leased the top 21/2 floors in the approximately 100,000-sq.-ft. complex.

The parkade is already under construction, and work on the condo tower is set to get underway in June.

"We're now about 85 per cent leased"

Stephanson said although the unusually cold winter created plenty of challenges for construction crews, they're still on schedule to have the parkade and the office/restaurant complex completed by the fall of this year. He said construction of the hotel is also coming along nicely and should be completed by late this year or early in 2015. The condo tower will take about 18 months to build.

Article Quotes/Image Source
Great news. iQmetrix has a considerable number of people on staff in their Winnipeg office; that many more feet on the street is never a bad thing.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh Vaughn View Post
Great news. iQmetrix has a considerable number of people on staff in their Winnipeg office; that many more feet on the street is never a bad thing.
Hey Keh glad to have you on board.

Your quite right, IQmetrix is an excellent tenant for this location/developement.
The whole Centre Point project is so diverse in it's make up it can only increase the pedestrian traffic on a daily basis.

It's quite a shot in the arm for this area. Let's hope for more multi-use developments of this kind in the near future. This one will have a huge impact on the area.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 9:18 PM
surely you agree with me

apparently bockstael will be constructing glasshouse....for anyone who cares.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Hey Kent, can you tell if they have topped the building out or not? I was by yesterday and the floor they are on looks like it is topped off differently that the previous. I cant see any rebar for further columns like in the past. The issue I see is that I believe there should be at least 3 more floors to go.

Curious.........?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:38 PM

There should be 3 more. I drove by a couple days ago and noticed that too. No forms on top for the next floor.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:00 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I could swear I saw rebar dowels extending up from the last level completed. That was earlier this week.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:16 PM

Update May 2

There wasn't a lot of work on the tower this week, but they have formed the central shaft in the last day or 2.

Work on the West face of the podium and the parkade continues as well.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:40 PM

From the photo, looks like they're gearing up for next week's build up. And as always, thanks Kent!

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 5:41 PM

I second bomberjet's sentiment: thanks for the updates and photos, Kent!

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 10:41 PM

They're ever so close to finishing it! I hope I get to see it topped out + see the start of Glasshouse before I move.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:57 PM

Could the Thread title be modified to incorporate the Glass House Condominium Proposal projected to begin in June of this year as per developers as the discussion is beginning to blend with the current hotel project.

Example: Centre Point | Alt Hotel 20F [Under Construction] | Glass House Condo 21F [Proposed]

Etc..What ever a mod deems appropriate. Thanks

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:27 AM

So I went on a bike ride, here are the photos I took of ALT

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:37 AM

Thanks for the pic updates!

Really cool seeing it with context around.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:37 PM
What could go wrong?

I know it is not tall but it sure fills a void along Portage. I think it looks great and makes a huge difference in the on street feeling. I can't wait to see the improvement once it is animated with people staying in the hotel and visiting the restaurants.

It will only get better with the GlassHouse residential tower next door. Downtown could use another 10 similar scale structures scattered around.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know it is not tall but it sure fills a void along Portage. I think it looks great and makes a huge difference in the on street feeling. I can't wait to see the improvement once it is animated with people staying in the hotel and visiting the restaurants.

It will only get better with the GlassHouse residential tower next door. Downtown could use another 10 similar scale structures scattered around.
I couldn't agree more. For better or for worse, Portage Avenue is still our marquee street and the one that out-of-towners will judge the city by. Having a new mid-rise in a stretch of North Portage dominated by dowdy-looking lowrises provides a shot in the arm to the street's appearance and the downtown skyline. And because it's a hotel, it will add people looking to spend money in shops, restaurants and bars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan