HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 12:23 PM

It seems to me the only system that gets the money in the Bay is BART. So any new transbay tunnel will be for Bart only.

It's prime aim will be relive the original line and it will require a great deal of effort to get BART to extend further into San Francisco. It's a suburban Metro at heart and is not interested acting as local transit in San Francisco (though it does already).

BART's call is to expand ever further into the Suburbs.

I mean should the push to San Jose come before a second transbay tube.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan3 View Post
It seems to me the only system that gets the money in the Bay is BART. So any new transbay tunnel will be for Bart only.

It's prime aim will be relive the original line and it will require a great deal of effort to get BART to extend further into San Francisco. It's a suburban Metro at heart and is not interested acting as local transit in San Francisco (though it does already).

BART's call is to expand ever further into the Suburbs.

I mean should the push to San Jose come before a second transbay tube.
I agree. The key to the entire Bay Area transportation system is the Bay Tunnel. Double the Tunnel, either close to and almost parallel to the existing bore or with parallel to and about 4 or 5 km to the south, and the maximum synergies arise system wide.

I remain convinced that the Tunnel or Tunnels needs to be decoupled from "feeder" lines in order for system capacities to radically increase.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 12:28 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "feeder lines". Operationally there are only two lines that share the tube (though it's pictured as four on the maps, the lines converge long before the tube, with plenty of extra time built into the outer convergence stations to avoid delays close to the tube).

The capacity issues are overwhelmingly caused by the station (small platforms, not enough escalators) and train designs (not enough doors, too many seats), not by the actual number of trains flowing through the tube.

System capacities don't really need to radically increase until:

A. There are more high traffic destinations added (most obviously being more SF or inner East Bay lines or infill stations added).
B. There are more destinations built on existing lines (upzoning)

Building a new tube should only be in the discussion if it adds additional destinations in some way, otherwise it's just another case of BART-logic: "Let's find a way to spend $10 billion to accomplish something that could be done in Japan or Switzerland for $200 million."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "feeder lines". Operationally there are only two lines that share the tube (though it's pictured as four on the maps, the lines converge long before the tube, with plenty of extra time built into the outer convergence stations to avoid delays close to the tube).

The capacity issues are overwhelmingly caused by the station (small platforms, not enough escalators) and train designs (not enough doors, too many seats), not by the actual number of trains flowing through the tube.

System capacities don't really need to radically increase until:

A. There are more high traffic destinations added (most obviously being more SF or inner East Bay lines or infill stations added).
B. There are more destinations built on existing lines (upzoning)

Building a new tube should only be in the discussion if it adds additional destinations in some way, otherwise it's just another case of BART-logic: "Let's find a way to spend $10 billion to accomplish something that could be done in Japan or Switzerland for $200 million."
There are many ways to peel an apple, and you have touched on many.

Let's assume that we can double the ridership feeding into the tunnel from both sides of the Bay.

This might be done in a mix of equipment change- parameter seats and standing room, increase number of doors, add cars, improve acceleration and deceleration statistics- and by tweaking the system via small right-of-way adjustments and adding more switching track on existing lines. Complete the doubling of ridership by adding infill stations and extending lines.

To gain some possible insight, look at what arguably is the best rapid transit line in the world via YouTube under "Yamanote Line" to study how an extremely busy line LOOP line with 29 stations carries 3.5 million people per day. As the line is a loop, trains always travel in the same direction. This is critical. However, there are many little factors that assist in maintain the high level of ridership: excellent electronic ticket reading systems, the abundant use of escalators, extremely quick engineer shift changes, and visual acknowledgement between engineer and platform chief that everyone has boarded the train prior to leaving the station. In addition, the stations are not fancy*, because emphasis is on replacing trains every 15 years, and maintaining train related infrastructure.

We tend to do this ass backwards in the States, where we tend to think that a smattering of public art excuses poor design (I know that is certainly true here in Denver.)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post

Let's assume that we can double the ridership feeding into the tunnel from both sides of the Bay.

This might be done in a mix of equipment change- parameter seats and standing room, increase number of doors, add cars, improve acceleration and deceleration statistics- and by tweaking the system via small right-of-way adjustments and adding more switching track on existing lines. Complete the doubling of ridership by adding infill stations and extending lines.

To gain some possible insight, look at what arguably is the best rapid transit line in the world via YouTube under "Yamanote Line" to study how an extremely busy line LOOP line with 29 stations carries 3.5 million people per day. As the line is a loop, trains always travel in the same direction. This is critical. However, there are many little factors that assist in maintain the high level of ridership: excellent electronic ticket reading systems, the abundant use of escalators, extremely quick engineer shift changes, and visual acknowledgement between engineer and platform chief that everyone has boarded the train prior to leaving the station. In addition, the stations are not fancy*, because emphasis is on replacing trains every 15 years, and maintaining train related infrastructure.

We tend to do this ass backwards in the States, where we tend to think that a smattering of public art excuses poor design (I know that is certainly true here in Denver.)
I'm not sure what you mean by tweaking the system with small ROW adjustments or more switching track.

The fundamental problem with BART as it is currently, is that during commute hours, every train leaving West Oakland for SF is jam packed, and every train leaving Embarcadero is jam packed. Even the lines you would refer to as feeder lines. No amount of Infill will increase ridership if the system can't handle more people during rush hour. BART has been lucky its suburban extensions don't have significant ridership, because the core can't handle it.

Currently, the BART track and commuter control system can support up to 24 TPH, or almost one every two minutes. That could be upgraded to 30 with ease given new rolling stock and computer updates. Even still, the station, train car, and platform circulation problems mean that there is a practical limit of 20 TPH. An extra 10 trains every hour is an extra 20,000 people.

When you compare the cost of tunneling in Downtown SF (look at the central subway with its insane costs, and then multiply platform length by five), with the .5 billion to make Embarcadero and Montgomery Spanish style, it looks to be one of the most cost effective ways to add 20k more people an hour across the bay.

Where does the fascination with a loop come from? Loops are extremely challenging to run - the circle line in London is no longer a true loop for this reason. I'm also struggling to find a loop in the bay area that would provide more benefit for its cost. Loops are great when you have everyone going to one spot. See Chicago for example. The L gets you downtown, and makes transfers easy. But as great as the L is at getting you downtown, its terrible at lateral movements. While Downtown SF is the largest job pool in the region, it is far from the only one. A loop ties you to serving that one center.

Last edited by rawocd; Feb 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 9:44 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawocd View Post
Where does the fascination with a loop come from?
These rants are commonplace over in the Denver forums— fanciful ideas that are based on theory but offer no realistic responses to the very real transit and budget problems that we're all trying to address. At least not everyone over there thinks this way.

But your points are absolutely correct. The Bay Area's problems are very different from Denver— there's incredible demand for rapid transit in the Bay Area, and there's not enough of it to go around. San Francisco is figuring out how to manage so many transit riders, while Denver is just trying to figure out how to attract them. RTD is to today what BART likely was in the early 1970s, but at least I'm confident that Denver (among other cities) has learned from BART's many early mistakes. RTD has chosen to go with inexpensive, off-the-shelf technology, and RTD has chosen appropriate gauges for each corridor. The Denver airport line actually makes some sense, and Denver doesn't have the huge geographic problems that the Bay Area has to encounter. RTD is incredibly frustrating at times, especially for us transit boosters who often get dismayed by their compromises, and suburban extensions are being built at the expense of more attention to central Denver, but overall, I think RTD is a very pragmatic agency.

Calling for a second Transbay Tube is not unlike the discussion of a subway down the 16th Street Mall— both are projects that will have a huge, positive impact on transit ridership and will likely happen sometime in our lifetimes (or at least mine), but both are irrelevant to the problems that we need to address in the next 2-3 decades. While BART management still seems to be delusional in continuing billowing projects in the suburbs, some of their other projects and proposals will certainly make BART more efficient at the core, and at somewhat reasonable pricetags.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
suburban extensions are being built at the expense of more attention to central Denver
This quote could apply to numerous locations. Transit agencies are often pre-occupied with trying to attract where many people live, which unfortunately is in very suburban locations in many cases, toward jobs and shopping and entertainment in the central core. This certainly applies to Denver.

The question is, after decades of poor planning choices, what do you do?

The question for the Bay Area I suppose would then gauge if investing into a Santa Clara extension is the best place to spend money? I would suppose the Geary-Oakland-Berkeley line should be a priority rather than Santa Clara, just looking on the surface. While I've visited SF over the years, I don't have a full grasp of how the local environment operates or where people want to travel or what areas are more conducive to urban development. But, this would seem the logical first choice.

One thing I think is great about BART is that it is effective as a regional rail solution as opposed to local transit, yet it uses train cars that are accessible like a traditional subway. Chicago's METRA can be lengthy to board and unboard, you have the bi-level aspect where you must wait in a line to de-board, and the service isn't as frequent as BART. Not many cities in America have regional rail done right, but SF did it: frequent service, high capacity, easy access (and this isn't to say METRA is bad, its a terrific system, but boarding and exiting the trains are difficult relative to BART). BART reminds me more of the S-Bahn in Berlin. I absolutely fell in love with Berlin's transport options when I got to experience it. Going from Schonefeld to eastern Berlin where my hotel was happened to be very quick. Then once you're in town you use the U-Bahn or the trams to get around, much like MUNI in SF.

SF and Berlin have some style similarities that are kind of neat to compare.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Feb 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:43 PM

I agree completely about BART being an S-Bahn System. Operationally, in terms of line length it compares very comparably to the S-Tøg in Copenhagen. The key difference is the S-Bahn lines are usually more affordable because they are converted from existing rail lines. BART was built from the ground up and terrain being equal is one of the most expensive metro's per mile to build in the US/World.

My biggest concern about BART's expansions is that people see it as a panacea, and because of that it takes money from other good projects. Example being the restoration of the dumbarton rail bridge that would have provided a rail connection across the bay for a very low amount. Likewise, there was a plan to double track the line between Oakland and San Jose to allow more frequent and reliable capitol corridor service. The dumbarton project failed because the money was given to the ballooning costs of BART to Santa Clara, despite that the capitol corridor already serves that exact same corridor(they are sharing row south of Fremont), and could be upgraded for far cheaper. I think the capitol corridor was a voter initiative tied to some other stuff that didn't pass.

That's not to say BART to the south bay is a terrible idea. All the bart extensions, if done right, allow for increased mobility and give space for TOD based density bumps. Usually that doesn't happen, but still it provides a possibility. It's just that we could blanket the outer suburbs in express buses leading to San Jose's under used transit mall, and provide frequent service between San Jose and Sacramento with a direct rail connection to Caltrain for much less than BART.

Charles CO is right - the Bay Area has a unique problem in that Muni, BART, Caltrain and to a lesser extent AC Transit are all operating at capacity. If San Jose starts planning smart and makes VTA less comical, it too could have this problem. It's never a matter here of if the project will be successful - even the Livermore extension in the freeway median version would be hailed as a success in most other cities. Instead its a cost benefit analysis that that isn't the best way to spend our money.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 5:05 PM

nm

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 6:18 PM

Building transit is more expensive not just in San Francisco, but virtually any city in America relative to European cities. We can use geographic explanations, which do have a factor in some cases, but even in more geographically challenging areas in Europe they build it for far cheaper. I've never understood what makes the cost so different, Europe has pretty high labor standards so it isn't the cost of the worker at fault. But I don't know where the problem lies, it may be that we try to do customized trains and traffic signaling, whereas European systems tend to all use similar designs these days that are proven. American and Canadian systems don't need to spend hundreds of millions on signaling systems when there is a proven standard with decades of development in Europe, maybe we're throwing tons of money away on proprietary concepts? I honestly don't know...

I love the example in Stuttgart, its in southwestern Germany in rugged terrain. Its not quite as rugged as Bavaria to the east, but the city is on bedrock and it can be tough to build tunnels. They have a tremendous new project called Stuttgart 21, more info can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart_21

Essentially its a network of nearly 60km of new rail lines (30km of it is tunnel), and they are doing it for 6.5 billion euros. That is roughly $9 billion USD.

Building almost 60km or 35 miles of transit lines (half of which is tunnel) here would be far more expensive.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
Building transit is more expensive not just in San Francisco, but virtually any city in America relative to European cities. We can use geographic explanations, which do have a factor in some cases, but even in more geographically challenging areas in Europe they build it for far cheaper. I've never understood what makes the cost so different, Europe has pretty high labor standards so it isn't the cost of the worker at fault. But I don't know where the problem lies, it may be that we try to do customized trains and traffic signaling, whereas European systems tend to all use similar designs these days that are proven. American and Canadian systems don't need to spend hundreds of millions on signaling systems when there is a proven standard with decades of development in Europe, maybe we're throwing tons of money away on proprietary concepts? I honestly don't know...
I think there are two more reasons to add to your list.

The first is that Europeans are probably less likely to politicize a transit expansion project, because almost everybody recognizes the value of public transit. This probably helps reduce costs because less of the project is mired in uncertainty, legal fights, or politically-motivated contracts/deals that have the potential to balloon in cost.

The second is that there's already much more construction and engineering experience around rail projects, so you don't have to hire builders who have to reinvent the wheel every time. A lot of this dovetails into what you said about building proprietary, untested signal technology, etc. In Europe, there's already a standard system that you just build into. Finally, the experience of building these projects lends a certain economy of scale to it. I remember reading that Madrid's civil engineering and construction teams had perfected a certain art of subway construction - given that city's massive expansion project in the last decade - which enabled them to build metro lines at an incredibly low cost.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:58 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
I love the example in Stuttgart, its in southwestern Germany in rugged terrain. Its not quite as rugged as Bavaria to the east, but the city is on bedrock and it can be tough to build tunnels. They have a tremendous new project called Stuttgart 21, more info can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart_21

Essentially its a network of nearly 60km of new rail lines (30km of it is tunnel), and they are doing it for 6.5 billion euros. That is roughly $9 billion USD.

Building almost 60km or 35 miles of transit lines (half of which is tunnel) here would be far more expensive.
I wouldn't say that's more expensive than everywhere in NA, just more than the majority of places. Montreal's metro tends to cost about $150-180m per km and is entirely tunneled with 152m platforms. So that is from $9 - $11 billion CDN.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 2:26 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I agree. The key to the entire Bay Area transportation system is the Bay Tunnel. Double the Tunnel, either close to and almost parallel to the existing bore or with parallel to and about 4 or 5 km to the south, and the maximum synergies arise system wide.

I remain convinced that the Tunnel or Tunnels needs to be decoupled from "feeder" lines in order for system capacities to radically increase.
You happen to be 100% right even though I wasn't sure what you meant at first. If you were to have the transbay tube operate as its own separate line or a line that includes the tube and the SF side but not the Oakland side, with the central high volume section having a short turning loop at either end, the high volume service section could switch to high capacity trains with longitudinal seating, which give a capacity boost of upwards of 50% in some cases. Then on the Oakland side, the Richmond and Freemont services would run between each other rather than going across the bay, so they could run much more frequently, have lots of seating, and even shorter trains. Then the Pittsburg/Bay Point and Dublin/Pleasanton services could either be their own separate lines terminating in Oakland or could be made a single, through-running line.

In the case of a suburban or hybrid system there is naturally going to be a compromise between the need for more capacity in town but not wanting a huge amount of unused capacity near the fringes. There is also the problem of limited frequency on outer branches when multiple services converge into a single central route. Then of course there's the issue of people not wanting to stand for the long distances that accompany suburban routes, but having a system full of seats isn't practical in the busy central sections. Making the central section separate with its own dedicated stock and requiring a transfer from the outer lines addresses all of these issues.

Yes, some people will complain about the transfer, and about having to stand in the central section. But the alternative so much more costly, it's a worthy compromise.

Quote:

In the case of the Yamanote Line, the efficiencies that you mentioned may be a factor, but the biggest cause of the sky high ridership is simply the location of the service. The whole line runs within the dense inner urban areas of Tokyo providing a connection between other transportation routes and central destinations rather than running between the city centre and the outer areas. This is important since when lines run from a city centre to lower density outer areas, the route tends to have very high usage in and around the centre, and drops as it nears the outer edge as more and more people exit the system. For a route like this, a big part of its traffic is riders who come into the central area on other trains and use the Yamanote Line as a distributor service to get to other places in central Tokyo. So the whole service is highly utilized. But this would be the case whether or not it is a loop. So the loop issue is somewhat of a red herring.

Take two sections of urban rail both 8 miles long. On section A, a rider gets on and rides for 8 miles then gets off, and on section B, a rider gets on for 4 miles, gets off, then another rider does the same for another 4 miles. Service B therefore has double the ridership even though it isn't really providing any more transportation than service A.

Lets say then that on service B, a rider gets on and rides for a mile then gets off and another rider gets on for a mile and gets off, and the process is repeated for the whole 8 miles. Service B therefore has 8 times the ridership that service A has, yet at no time is it transporting a greater number of passengers than service A. If that were to be applied system wide, a system with a riderhip of 400,000 would balloon to 3.2 million if 8 times more people rode the system 1/8 the distance (say 2km vs 16km).

Now of course the Yamanote Line is certainly more crowded than pretty much any line in NA. Not only does it have longitudinal seating, but the seats are actually folded up during peak times so that everyone is standing. But the difference definitely isn't as dramatic as the ridership numbers would suggest. Yes, the trains may be more full than in even the central sections of BART, but the big difference is that the whole route is the "busy section" because of where it's located, and that there is naturally a much greater passenger turnover.

For a system like BART and other primarily suburban services that have a large proportion of riders who travel a large distance, the stats are never going to sound as impressive when measured solely in terms of the number of trips as compared to a method such as passenger miles (the total number of miles it transports a passenger). If one system has double the ridership in terms of unlinked trips yet the average trip is only 50% as long as a peer system, the two systems will have transported customers an equal number of passenger miles. Therefore, passenger miles is often a more useful way to determine how highly utilized a system is - especially when comparing between different types of systems (urban, suburban, commuter, intercity).

The problem of course is that the data isn't always as readily available.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Feb 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by tweaking the system with small ROW adjustments or more switching track.

The fundamental problem with BART as it is currently, is that during commute hours, every train leaving West Oakland for SF is jam packed, and every train leaving Embarcadero is jam packed. Even the lines you would refer to as feeder lines. No amount of Infill will increase ridership if the system can't handle more people during rush hour. BART has been lucky its suburban extensions don't have significant ridership, because the core can't handle it.

Currently, the BART track and commuter control system can support up to 24 TPH, or almost one every two minutes. That could be upgraded to 30 with ease given new rolling stock and computer updates. Even still, the station, train car, and platform circulation problems mean that there is a practical limit of 20 TPH. An extra 10 trains every hour is an extra 20,000 people.

When you compare the cost of tunneling in Downtown SF (look at the central subway with its insane costs, and then multiply platform length by five), with the .5 billion to make Embarcadero and Montgomery Spanish style, it looks to be one of the most cost effective ways to add 20k more people an hour across the bay.

Where does the fascination with a loop come from? Loops are extremely challenging to run - the circle line in London is no longer a true loop for this reason. I'm also struggling to find a loop in the bay area that would provide more benefit for its cost. Loops are great when you have everyone going to one spot. See Chicago for example. The L gets you downtown, and makes transfers easy. But as great as the L is at getting you downtown, its terrible at lateral movements. While Downtown SF is the largest job pool in the region, it is far from the only one. A loop ties you to serving that one center.
Loops cover a huge range of scales. Some are 20+ miles around. In addition, loops can be doubled up, that is in a two track loop both tracks can always go the same direction- clockwise or counter clockwise. If a 2nd tunnel were built, as part of loop then each tunnel would have at 2 minute headways x 2000 people per train 120,000 per hour.

I like the loop idea in SF/Oakland because one would be able to truly separate the rest of the system from the Tunnel (or tunnels).

Anyway, a few ideas:

Double up trains through the tunnel. The Japanese routinely do this, although the precision required might be this difficult at very high frequencies. Trains then could be longer than a given platform, and might leap frog stations as to which half opens its doors. At station 1 the front train would open the doors, and, at station 2 the back train would open doors. Color code the stations so a user would know that the back train does not open it's doors at station 1 but does at station 2. If the average time between each station in a group of stations is 3 minutes, then each of the couple separate train's doors would open once every 6 minutes.

If the Tunnel was decoupled from the Bay side perhaps 16 or 20 car trains could be assembled prior to the rush. At the other end of the couple (the end of the line in SF) yards could be built to do the same thing.

I am curious, what percentage of Tunnel traffic goes in each direction during rush hour?

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Feb 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 10:48 PM

^I don't have time to grab numbers now, but passenger traffic is overwhelmingly coming into SF in the morning and out of SF in the evening. That's primarily why I don't see the point of this loop idea. Capacity issues are only an issue with incoming traffic in the morning and outgoing traffic in the evening. The loop idea would be great if we had multiple new lines and/or massive upzoning occuring on either side of the Bay that would be driving more 24/7 traffic, but that simply isn't the case for any future scenario currently in the cards. Even if we spent $30+ billion on a new loop, it would be astoundingly underutilized because there isn't the political will to allow density increases to support the infrastructure.

There's a lot of reverse commuting out of SF going south in the morning (Caltrain and 101/280), but not east through the BART tube. There are certainly employment centers in downtown Oakland and other places on East Bay BART lines, but very, very little commuting from SF or the peninsula stations to those destinations, it's mostly intra-East Bay. And in case you're wondering, connecting BART to SJ won't increase traffic out of SF in the morning, as BART trips to SJ will take significantly longer than Caltrain trips do. BART to SJ will mostly be about connecting the East Bay to the South Bay and vice versa (though of course is a lousy and insanely expensive way to do that).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:20 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Yes, all of those capacity creating measures like looping the central section would only be needed if the intent was to avoid the huge cost of a second transbay tube. If another tube was created, things could carry on under the current through-running paradigm without issue.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
These rants are commonplace over in the Denver forums— fanciful ideas that are based on theory but offer no realistic responses to the very real transit and budget problems that we're all trying to address. At least not everyone over there thinks this way.

But your points are absolutely correct. The Bay Area's problems are very different from Denver— there's incredible demand for rapid transit in the Bay Area, and there's not enough of it to go around. San Francisco is figuring out how to manage so many transit riders, while Denver is just trying to figure out how to attract them. RTD is to today what BART likely was in the early 1970s, but at least I'm confident that Denver (among other cities) has learned from BART's many early mistakes. RTD has chosen to go with inexpensive, off-the-shelf technology, and RTD has chosen appropriate gauges for each corridor. The Denver airport line actually makes some sense, and Denver doesn't have the huge geographic problems that the Bay Area has to encounter. RTD is incredibly frustrating at times, especially for us transit boosters who often get dismayed by their compromises, and suburban extensions are being built at the expense of more attention to central Denver, but overall, I think RTD is a very pragmatic agency.

Calling for a second Transbay Tube is not unlike the discussion of a subway down the 16th Street Mall— both are projects that will have a huge, positive impact on transit ridership and will likely happen sometime in our lifetimes (or at least mine), but both are irrelevant to the problems that we need to address in the next 2-3 decades. While BART management still seems to be delusional in continuing billowing projects in the suburbs, some of their other projects and proposals will certainly make BART more efficient at the core, and at somewhat reasonable pricetags.
I have to disagree with many of your assertions here.

A) BART was designed as an integrated system, such as it is, and, remains in a superior league from RTD's system. BART is a unique system that bears more resemblance to modern systems built in East Asia, than to US systems such as RTD.

B) Unlike BART in SF and Oakland, RTD's Denver urban core facilities and track were (and are being) built on what was a very large vacant railroad yard in 1988. The opportunity to provide to for future same seat boarding and platform to platform transfer was not lost due to huge costs associated with tearing down existing buildings or building an underground NYC style complex*. Instead, the station complex was put in a minimal footprint as part of a master development involving new streets, sewer, water, etc., covering many acres. In the new Denver Union Station complex, a user will have to walk 350 meters through an underground bus station to travel either south or east/northwest through the station (from the heavy rail complex covering east and northwest to the light rail covering points south, southeast, southwest, and, west).

C) RTD, was forced to make multiple route-changes to facilitate future property development, again in this vacant railroad, to maximize the future growth potential of AEG (those of you in LA and Sacramento know this business) as well as to accommodate secondary property moves by the Auraria educational complex and other property developers.

Lessons that SF and Oakland should learn from RTD

1) There are great efficiency perils when publicly funded transportation either chooses to, or is forced to, deal with very deep pocketed property developers. While short term bottom line costs appear to drop, longer term problems such as misaligned right of way, poor station foot-print and design, and poor branch to main track switching not only can take away short term benefit, but will end up costing huge amounts of additional monies down the line. In addition, infrastructural improvements directly relating to improving the value of property adjacent and close to transit properties; such as new storm sewers, fresh water lines, buried power lines, streets, and, sidewalks will tend to be rolled into project costs.

2) Engage in continuous public discussion and put long term pressure on politicians. While this appears obvious, too often the end product of discussion is a third rate product based on what the 'few' want, rather than public need. Too often the 'ideal system design', while presented as one of multiple proposals, is discarded and a least effective design choice made after much 'song and dance.' Politicians count on the public loosing interest and that legal challenges to their preferred plans will fail, as most court challenges seem to be raised by idealists with little money.**

3) Often in the case of 3rd tier steel rail transit in smaller metro areas or in small cities in a metro area outside the multicounty transit system, transit engineers and planners seem to be fairly unaware of systems being built internationally. Instead, most seem to go with those equipment suppliers whose products have already been used, such as Siemens, and copy too many design aspects from transit operations on which equipment vendor vehicles, signally systems, etc., operate. By doing so, engineers and planners are steered towards building a "second" San Diego or a "third" MARTA, rather than to copy methodologies as used in Japan, France, Germany, Italy, South Korea, and, China.

Public discussion about BART and Bay Area transportation is far more sophisticated than such public discussion is in Denver. The highly educated debate I find in websites dedicated to California HSR, Caltrain, the California Amtrak lines, Muni, bus routing, pedestrian friendly urban design in California cities, and, transit scheduling simply has no equivalent in cities like Denver. Instead, most such discussion here consists of 'party line' boosterism, a kind of informal infomercial for how things are GOING TO BE. Most 'pertinent debate' just does not happen.

Yet, all here is not completely compliant. We have a few bloggers who are independent thinkers, but, when the blogging community is expanded to include sites interested in intercity passenger rail and other transportation concepts, the press, radio and TV, we are a tiny part of a small community.

Our overall transit literacy is about where the northern Bay Area transit literacy was in 1965.

*We never had a Bay to cross. All our obstructions are man made, and less than 20 years old. The problems SF and Oakland face are more equivalent to what Denver will face, when, and, if, all public transit, including buses, into and through the Denver Union Station exceeds 15 or 20K per hour, and solutions will have to either go through buildings, above streets, or underground.
**This is the exact flipside to the California HSR argument, and, is directly connected to the outcomes resulting from a concentration of private money intent on property development in a small area, not expense to "taxpayers."

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Feb 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:58 PM

IMO, BART, is a national treasure for many reasons.

Background

BART was the concrete result of thought that started in 1957 with the creation a of regional transportation district, and, went operation in September, 1972.

This time period covers a time period when passenger rail transportation was evolving. In Japan, a pre WWII ideal of a high speed rail between Osaka and Tokyo was "dusted off, and, the first segment was completed in 1959. In Canada, the future TTE had been in construction since 1949 and the first segment was operational in 1954.

In the US, Canada, and, Australia and in numerous Latin American nations, street car tracks were in the process of being ripped out.

The US was in the throws of the largest public works project (the Interstate system) between China's Grand Canal and 21st China's railroad and freeway expansion.

(In 1957 the Soviet Union launched Sputnik...)

On BART

In this environment US engineers designed the most advanced commuter system the world had ever seen, and, aesthetically designed railcars and stations which such grace and panache that 40 year old BART cars still look current and the stations (from a distance) look like they were built in this century. A major under sea tunnel was built in sealed sections, lowered via crane to the sea bottom, bolted and welded together, then the combined sections were opened from the inside.The world's first integrated transit computer system controlled headways and ran the system very well.

This system was noticed by transportation planners world wide and endlessly copied.

Like most great human works, BART has a tragic story. While BART was mind boggling advanced for it's time, BART since has been frozen in time and never really been improved upon. Vehicles are old, and while still beautiful as classics, newer equipment has arrived at a trickle, and the old equipment has had to patched together with parts that increasingly are unavailable. While the computer system functions well, the hardware and the software required to operate the hardware have not been replaced with better systems. The electric hardware on cars basically is not being made anymore. The bogies are so uniquely engineered that off the shelf replacements are not readily available world wide (the gauge difference is a fairly simple problem- Siemens, for example, easily manufactured high speed bogies off for the Russian gauge from standard gauge engineered bogies).

The story of BART since the system went operational in some ways is a metaphor for much of what the US has done. Brilliantly conceived and executed design systems are produced and then not improved upon. Creativity is lost as huge bureaurocracies blossom, and, moneys shift from hardware replacement (and infrastructural improvement) to paying salaries at all levels. Management becomes highly politicized and change becomes something that is discussed ad nauseam then too often made in a Frankenstein hodgepodge of politically expedient parts.

BART is the greatest commuter system built in the US since WWII, and, in it's early days was one of the greatest heavy rail commuter systems built in history.

I hope she gets fixed and improved with the intense creativity and money that she deserves.

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Feb 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:34 AM

When was the last time you took BART Wizened?

I'd hardly call it a tragic story, especially when compared to the other proposed heavy rail projects of the time (Like the one in Seattle. Try riding it now. It doesn't exist. Or even MARTA.. Miami Metrorail.. etc)

In other news, Google just gave Muni the money to continue their free Muni for low income youth program for the next two years.

Link here:

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2014/0...-youth-program

As far as I'm concerned, this is huge. While its a relatively small sum of money, I think it completely changes the conversations we will have about funding transit in the Bay Area

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
When was the last time you took BART Wizened?

I'd hardly call it a tragic story, especially when compared to the other proposed heavy rail projects of the time (Like the one in Seattle. Try riding it now. It doesn't exist. Or even MARTA.. Miami Metrorail.. etc)
IMO, you cannot compare BART with any other post WWII new steel rail transit system in the US besides Washington DC, which as a single large city servicing steel rail transit system is superior.

BART, frankly, as is, is superior to the systems in Portland, Seattle, LA, Phoenix, Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, Houston, Atlanta, St. Louis, San Jose, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Charlotte, Baltimore, and Cleveland. BART has to be compared with it's peers, rather than be compared with systems built in segments that often have street running with poorly designed transfer points.

Instead, BART needs to be compared to it's post WWII equals. In North America. IMO, this would be confined to systems in Mexico City, Toronto, Montreal, and, Washington DC.

When BART is compared to practically any of 36 or 37 steel wheel systems in East Asia it truly comes up short in 2013. However, as was my point, if BART were compared to the 9 to 10 comparable systems in East Asia in 1972 it would have been a standout.

To regain world class BART status needs to replace much of it's rail fleet, or at least, do a down to the body rebuild replacing the electronics and strengthening the railcars, replace the computer system, seek workable solutions to increase through tunnel ridership, work with unions to lower per train costs, and, complete Bayside extensions to San Jose.

No, I live in a city with a system that has been being built for more than 15 years and when completed the system will be nowhere near as capable as BART, but like I said, that is not my intent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation